• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Open Differential Psychology (ODP)
    downloadable pdfs

https://openpsych.net/journal/ODP

The OKCupid dataset: A very large public dataset of dating site users
    Putting Spearman’s Hypothesis to Work: Job IQ as a Predictor of Employee Racial Composition
    Country of origin and use of social benefits: A pilot study of stereotype accuracy in Denmark
    ICAR5: design and validation of a 5-item public domain cognitive ability test
    Crime among Dutch immigrant groups is predictable from country-level variables
    Validating a Danish translation of the International Cognitive Ability Resource sample test and Cognitive Reflection Test in a student sample
    Immigrant GPA in Danish primary school is predictable from country-level variables
    Discounting IQ’s Relevance to Organizational Behavior: The “Somebody Else’s Problem” in Management Education
    A Standardization of the Standard Progressive Matrices in Egypt
    Increasing inequality in general intelligence and socioeconomic status as a result of immigration in Denmark 1980-2014
    A Study of the IQ in Sudan
    Fluid g in Scandinavia and Finland: Comparing results from PISA Creative Problem Solving and the WAIS IV matrices subtest
    The personal Jensen coefficient does not predict grades beyond its association with g
    Crime, income, educational attainment and employment among immigrant groups in Norway and Finland
    The international general socioeconomic factor: Factor analyzing international rankings
    The Elusive X-Factor: A Critique of J. M. Kaplan’s Model of Race and IQ
    The Canadian IQ calculated from the standardization of the WAIS IV
    Ethnic/Race Differences in Aptitude by Generation in the United States: An Exploratory Meta-analysis
    Nyborg’s ‘The Intelligence-Religiosity Nexus’ and the Benefits of Consilience
    Parents’ Income is a Poor Predictor of SAT Score
    Reassessment of Jewish Cognitive Ability: Within Group Analyses Based on Parental Fluency in Hebrew or Yiddish
    Educational attainment, income, use of social benefits, crime rate and the general socioeconomic factor among 70 immigrant groups in Denmark
    Do National IQs Predict U.S. Immigrant Cognitive Ability and Outcomes? An Analysis of the National Longitudinal Survey of Freshman
    Semantic discussions of intelligence and the (un)importance of the study of race and g: A comment on Hunt and Jaeggi (2013)
    Intelligence in Jordan: Norms for the Standard Progressive Matrices
    The personality and cognitive correlates of creative achievement
    Criminality among Norwegian immigrant populations
    Rule dependence and Flynn effects: some elaboration
    Criminality and fertility among Danish immigrant populations

Comment

Tech would use drones and insect biobots to map disaster areas

https://www.sciencedaily.com/release...1117104402.htm

Researchers at North Carolina State University have developed a combination of software and hardware that will allow them to use unmanned aerial vehicles (UAVs) and insect cyborgs, or biobots, to map large, unfamiliar areas -- such as collapsed buildings after a disaster.

Comment

What shape are photons? Quantum holography sheds light

Physicists created a hologram of a single light particle, a feat previously thought impossible.
        https://cosmosmagazine.com/physics/w...pe-is-a-photon

Comment

This is extremely interesting.
          New technology has been developed that uses nuclear waste to generate electricity in a nuclear-powered battery. A team of physicists and chemists from the University of Bristol have grown a man-made diamond that, when placed in a radioactive field, is able to generate a small electrical current. The development could solve some of the problems of nuclear waste, clean electricity generation and battery life.
          ‘Diamond-age’ of power generation as nuclear batteries developed

Comment

Today's Sunlight Was Produced Before Human Civilization Began

It may take light as much as a million years to escape from the sun’s fiery interior; from there, it has to travel 93 million miles to Earth, traveling at 186,000 miles per second -- about 8 minutes.
            http://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-sho...ource=facebook

Comment

The Australian Square Kilometre Array Pathfinder finally hits the big-data highway

You know how long it takes to pack the car to go on holidays. But there’s a moment when you’re all in, everyone has their seatbelt on, you pull out of the drive and you’re off.

Our ASKAP (Australian Square Kilometre Array Pathfinder) telescope has just pulled out of the drive, so to speak, at its base in Western Australia at the Murchison Radio-astronomy Observatory (MRO), about 315km northeast of Geraldton.
              https://theconversation.com/the-aust...g-data+highway

Additional reading: The first images from ASKAP reveal slices through space

Comment

Originally posted by Penny the Penguin View Post
                Today's Sunlight Was Produced Before Human Civilization Began

http://www.sciencechannel.com/tv-sho...ource=facebook
                okay....that is weird. I always assumed the light from the sun was produced on the surface of the sun, not inside the sun....nuclear fusion deep inside the sun makes the light and according to this, it takes millions of years for this light to merely escape to the surface of the sun, where then it is free and zooms to the earth in 8 minutes? mind blown.

makes me wonder about earth, man made nuclear fusion and light made by it. maybe I need another drink.

Comment

maybe not the proper place for these thoughts of mine, that have been in my head for a day or two....but, as a 69 1/2 year old geezer.....I kind of feel sorry for todays people that are less than 50 years old.....why you ask? When Gene Cernan died on the 16th, the man literally walked on the moon's surface in December 1972.

At the time in '72 ......we had been seeing men walk on the moon for 3 years or so, and in reality it was "no big deal" and I don't really even recall his walk on the moon. Sure I remember the first steps on the moon by Armstrong in 69, but after that it was "old hat" and maybe you saw some video footage of it on the nightly news. But no one really stopped work or stayed up all night to watch video feeds.

Still, it was exciting to know men were going to the moon, landing, walking on it, riding around in buggies up there, and then coming back in a space ship. The whole few years that US astronauts were going to the moon and coming back, was kind of exciting, though I freely admit it got to be routine after a while and a moon trip to land was nothing that you hadn't seen before.

I don't think we thought that it would stop. We kind of assumed it would continue year after year and it just would not stop. But it did, and no one has been back and walked on the moon since 1972, the year before our daughter was born. She is now a grown woman, has a 20 year old son, and neither her or that grandson have ever seen a man walk on the moon in real time.

What happened? Why did we stop going? Were the payouts of the trip so unrewarding? Is a space station in earth orbit, better, in returns than a trip to another place you can stand and get samples of rock and "earth"? I guess the Mars trip is planned before long, and I hope it turns out okay though it will be a lot longer duration than a quick trip to the moon for milk and cigs.

BTW.....in June 1971 the "Last Whole Earth Catalog" was published, it was like Google in book form way before google existed. The cover color photo of the book was the planet Earth as seen from Apollo 4. The cost of the book was $5.

Last edited by commanding; 17-01-2017, 08:42 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by commanding View Post
                    okay....that is weird. I always assumed the light from the sun was produced on the surface of the sun, not inside the sun....nuclear fusion deep inside the sun makes the light and according to this, it takes millions of years for this light to merely escape to the surface of the sun, where then it is free and zooms to the earth in 8 minutes? mind blown.
                    makes me wonder about earth, man made nuclear fusion and light made by it. maybe I need another drink.
                    surface is also hot(about 6000K), and emits photons, like any hot body.

Comment

• Originally posted by commanding View Post

Pretty amazing I agree, commanding. There is a nice podcast about it with Dr Pamela Gay in this Astronomy cast.

And, thank you for sharing your amazing real time insights regarding the Apollo experiences, commanding, very much appreciated!

Comment

• The first ever blueprint for a mind-bendingly massive quantum computer has been released

Scientists chasing the dream of quantum computing - technology that would grant us unprecentented processing power - just got their biggest break yet, because the first ever open-source blueprint for a practical quantum computer has been revealed.
                        http://www.sciencealert.com/it-s-hap...antum-computer

Comment

• The latest "nightmare inducing" Boston Dynamics robots

5 Fastest Robots In The World

movr5r1 t2 2600kv 5x4x4 v1s hqprop kiss cc 4s1300 75c

Comment

• Time Crystals - sorta like perpetual motion

http://news.berkeley.edu/2017/01/26/...time-crystals/

Comment

• ^^ Thank you for posting, that is fascinating, HarryC

--

'Sonic Boom' Of Light Captured For The First Time Ever

Scientists used a camera that can capture 100 billion frames per second in a single exposure to capture a "sonic boom" of light!
                              http://www.seeker.com/sonic-boom-of-...um=dnewssocial

Comment

• Scientists discover gigantic lost continent that sunk into the ocean millions of years ago

A LOST continent that sunk 100 million years ago has been discovered underneath New Zealand.

The Sun reports the sunken world has been dubbed Zealandia as is mostly submerged beneath the South Pacific.
                                Source

Comment

Working...
                                X