Archeology thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spanish dig uncovers unique building from mysterious Tartessos culture

Two-floor construction was used for a feast before being razed by its own dwellers ahead of invasion

http://elpais.com/elpais/2017/04/18/...30_562718.html

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike1976 View Post
      At least 8 mummies discovered in a 3,500 year old tomb near Luxor, Egypt.

http://media.nu.nl/m/3v7xrx2aibrn_wd1280.jpg

​Not a huge expert on Egyptian archeology, but the beard on that sarcophagus was reserved for members of the royal family I think.
      ​Turns out the tomb is from the era of Tutankhamun and belonged to a important judge named Userhat.

​-----------------------

In 1740, a Dutch merchant ship called 'De Rooswijk' sank on the notorious Goodwin Sands in Kent, killing all 350 people on board. Now, almost 280 years later, a huge research mission is being launched to salvage the enormous merchant ship.
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sciencete...hant-ship.html

Comment

• Experts recreate life of Mesolithic woman who died after falling into a sinkhole with three aurochs
        http://elpais.com/elpais/2017/05/12/...04_820305.html

Comment

• I read that this morning! Fantastic article, I thought! I had my mt dna tested years ago, out of curiosity. My Mother knew she was Dutch, and Welsh, but lo, her mt haplogroup comes out out the Iberian Peninsula, which no one knew! It looks like she was almost a quarter Spanish. Oh the surprises of dna!

Comment

• Her bones reveal that she only stood 1.50 meters tall (yet apparently worked with enormous animals) and that she led a very tough life. She had probably suffered a strong blow to the head as a child that left her with a head injury. Her nutrition was poor, suggesting long periods of food scarcity. She had joint disease and had probably endured a bad toothache for months.
            ​Today's women bitch and moan when they break a (fake) fingernail. P*ssification of society.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike1976 View Post

​Today's women bitch and moan when they break a (fake) fingernail. P*ssification of society.
              Well of course, do you know how long it takes to put that shit on? And it looks a mess.

Comment

• Researchers with Amsterdam's Free University and the national department for cultural heritage have pieced together the largest Roman treasure horde ever found in the Netherlands. The golden coins were buried in the eastern Netherlands around 460 AD (the last coin dates to that period, the total collection ranges from about 380 AD to 460AD).

Over fourty coins were recovered, but researches believe that the original collection was much bigger. The collection of Lienden contains the most recent coin ever found in the Benelux part of the Western-Roman empire.

In 2016 investigators with metal detectors reported to the university that they had found 23 golden coins in an orchard. It turned out coins had previously been found there in 2012, 1905 and 1840.

Eventually the researchers managed to bring together over 40 coins from various finds. The collection has been loaned out for long term exposition to the Valkhof museum in Nijmegen, home to the largest collection of Roman coins in the Netherlands.

The coins were likely buried by a Frankish leader who had been hired by the Roman emperor. The mercenaries were given so-called "solidi" to serve the Romans in the defence of this part of the Empire.

"It's fascinating that we now have a find from the very late Roman period. About this period prior to the early middle ages very little was known so far.", according to a researcher.

Also found at the location were the remains of three skeletons dating from the middle of the Bronze Age. The researchers therefore conclude that the Frankish leader buried the payment in an old burial mound so that the spot would be easy to find again later. In the area between the major rivers (Waal, Meurse and Rhine) similar remains were found before.
                Last edited by Mike1976; 03-06-2017, 04:28 PM.

Comment

• Fossils discovered in Morocco are the oldest known remains of Homo sapiens, scientists reported on Wednesday, a finding that rewrites the story of mankind’s origins and suggests that our species evolved in multiple locations across the African continent.
                  https://www.nytimes.com/2017/06/07/s...occo.html?_r=0

Comment

• they will be telling us they were muslims next

Comment

• Archeology thread eh? OK, tell me, who is my avatar??????

Comment

• Originally posted by riderboy View Post
                        Archeology thread eh? OK, tell me, who is my avatar??????
                        not sure but is it Ahmose-Nefertari or is it the computer reconstruction of one of the mummys they found recently - its only a small picture........

Comment

• Originally posted by blackcatnursery View Post

not sure but is it Ahmose-Nefertari or is it the computer reconstruction of one of the mummys they found recently - its only a small picture........
                          Well done! Tutankhamen.

Comment

Well done! Tutankhamen.
                            I can see it now - looked like a women - did they ever get permission to open up the other rooms they think they have found?

The Pharoah's lost chamber could herald the "discovery of the century", scientists reckon

Comment

• Originally posted by blackcatnursery View Post

I can see it now - looked like a women - did they ever get permission to open up the other rooms they think they have found?
                              I don't think so, at least not that at have heard. I do know that they've identified his mother as one of Akhenaten's sisters.

Ewww.....

Comment

Archeology thread eh? OK, tell me, who is my avatar??????
                                i know, I know, ask me teacher.

Comment

Working...
                                X