Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World's first full-sized Hyperloop Capsule Unveiled in Spain

http://www.hyperloop.global/

The first parts for the Hyperloop track in France are also in construction since April 2018.

(German but you can see the tunnel segments on a truck)

https://www.ingenieur.de/technik/fac...in-frankreich/

Hyperloop explained

Comment

Call me a cynic, but I do not believe that some of the engineering problems present can be easily solved in this day and age. How will a pressurized system of any significant length (say, 100 km) handle thermal gradients, storms or earthquakes? How much energy will be spent in order to maintain a near vacuum in said tubes via a continuously running vacuum pump (since leakages will inevitably occur)? What about possible sabotage of the pylons or the tube by beardies? What if there is an accident while a capsule is underway or the capsule depressurizes? What about the maintenance costs involved?

Comment

Of course they made feasibility studies first. Like Virgins One

Ther are many hyperloop developments at the moment.

The TU Munich also designed a vehicle

WARR Hyperloop Alpha

http://hyperloop.warr.de/

Comment

Originally posted by ak16 View Post
          What if there is an accident while a capsule is underway or the capsule depressurizes?
          I'd like to know that as well.

Comment

EU grant by any chance that the UK are paying for

Comment

Originally posted by muck View Post

Same as in airplane. If there is accident system will automaticaly engage breaks and begin to pressurize the tunnel. The capsules will also have wheels and independant propulsion for emergencies.

Comment

I assume few know about this, so I'll provide a link (I searched one for the pictures):

World's First Hyperloop: Henri Coanda's Hyperloop

I remember reading elsewhere that a person traveled in the "loop" (unofficially since it was not cleared to do so, if the story is right). He described the experience as being really loud.

Bottom-line as far as I'm concerned, can I use it like I do with any train or subway (ease, comfort)? No, then I'm not that interested...

I don't want a slower alternative on land to a cramp and noisy plane.

Comment

Originally posted by muck View Post

I'm thinking it will go something like this:

Hmm, why not just use the method to move the pod.

No need for fucking magnets, how do they work.

Comment

I'm sure it's... Doable, but I just can't shake the "Thunderf00t" tirades on the matter... He raises some good points, and has visited the various testing sites (and he more or less laughs at the entire thing).

Comment

Dunno sounds like a 21st century Hindenburg waiting to happen.

Comment

Any damage, even tiny ones, on the tube will cause spectacularly horrifying results. Anything inside the tube will be demolished with a sonic boom. Like said earlier, It will not work, the requirements are just way too precise. No sane person would take a ride on it, even they somehow would be able to make a working one.

Comment

What damages should it have? Little tiny cracks? We check aircarft parts for that since decades. And an a/c is way exposed to cahnging loads and dynamic abnd staic processes.

Yet of these thousand upon thousands of a/c fdlying everyday multiople times. They very seldomly have structural failures.

But it wil have to be inspected throughly but as it is a tube you can build an inspection vehicle going through the tube and making xray or eddy current checks for example.

Comment

Working...
                          X