Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Australia rushes anti-encryption legislation into parliament

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Which brings us back to the original reason why end-to-end encryption has taken off. People no longer trust that intel agencies are being benign when they are spying. No amount of "trust us, we're the good guys and would never leak your information for our benefit" can bring back that trust.

    Comment


    • #17
      Brussels can lay claim to actually creating jobs regtec regulation technology.
      New companies in this are doing very well where they sort out a bank's back end regulations.

      Comment


      • #18
        LOL, creating regulations is about the only thing the EU is good at creating for technology. Otherwise they are clearly much better at crippling it.

        There are zero (0) EU based tech companies in the worlds top 20 by capitalisation. I'd be amazed if there were more than two or three in the top 50. Where is the EU's Apple, Google, Amazon, e-Bay, Microsoft, Cisco, Samsung, Huawei, Alibaba, Intel, IBM, Tencent, Oracle or Facebook?

        For a continent with a large well-education populace, the only tech companies I can think of that could be regarded as known world wide would be Vodafone and SAP and the last one is a stretch.

        Comment


        • #19
          They are giving Brussels full credit for this one.
          Futurists reckon regulation can become binary and reshuffle the costs involved. ie people get reassigned

          http://hammingtons.com/wild/the-perf...&campid=c6b0o7

          Sweden since yesterday has a krypto. Suppose it was inevitable.

          Comment


          • #20
            On a related topic, looks like China is not the only one to try to implement "trust" scores based on user's social interaction: https://www.independent.co.uk/life-s...-a8546051.html




            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by primer View Post
              They are giving Brussels full credit for this one.
              Futurists reckon regulation can become binary and reshuffle the costs involved. ie people get reassigned
              ....
              Yeah no. Regulation is good at creating parasites on the economy - i.e. those involved in the regulating. But a host can only support so many parasites before it sickens and dies. The EU is an excellent example of that.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by TheKiwi View Post

                Yeah no. Regulation is good at creating parasites on the economy - i.e. those involved in the regulating. But a host can only support so many parasites before it sickens and dies. The EU is an excellent example of that.
                This is so simplistic as a statement to the point of being wrong.

                Comment


                • #23
                  So tell me where are the EU's equivalents of Apple or Google or Amazon? Why has a continent full of highly educated people with an excellent university system failed to produce even one company of that ilk? The answer is that the EU's bureaucratic burden has crippled them long before they could achieve anything.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Here's a good example of why regulations (laws) are needed...

                    ...Yes Sweden is launching a national Crypto Currency, but its not Kryptonex.

                    Originally posted by primer View Post
                    http://hammingtons.com/wild/the-perf...&campid=c6b0o7

                    Sweden since yesterday has a krypto. Suppose it was inevitable.
                    primer linked the fake, here being the website they try to emulate: https://www.coindesk.com/

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Mmmm, that's more a case for Caveat Emptor...

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        Originally posted by BogT View Post
                        Here's a good example of why regulations (laws) are needed...

                        ...Yes Sweden is launching a national Crypto Currency, but its not Kryptonex.



                        primer linked the fake, here being the website they try to emulate: https://www.coindesk.com/
                        Just to be clear, Sweden is not launching a crypto currency, nor are there actual plans on doing so. The only thing that has been done is a preliminary study/whitepaper on the feasibility of it, a decisison will be taken this autumn wether the idea is worth further studies or not.
                        Don't see the point tbh, there are established systems for quick and easy money transfers already, the largest one with over 60% coverage across the population.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Originally posted by TheKiwi View Post
                          Mmmm, that's more a case for Caveat Emptor...
                          I think it's more on the fraud side... misleading the buyer, at least.

                          Originally posted by Sniffit View Post

                          Just to be clear, Sweden is not launching a crypto currency, nor are there actual plans on doing so. The only thing that has been done is a preliminary study/whitepaper on the feasibility of it, a decisison will be taken this autumn wether the idea is worth further studies or not.
                          Don't see the point tbh, there are established systems for quick and easy money transfers already, the largest one with over 60% coverage across the population.
                          I was reading a bit today... the Governor of the Romanian National Bank was stating that there's no way to stop crypto currency, but, inline with the European Central Bank attempts, the plan is to control/regulate them.

                          Would releasing "official" crypto currency be a way to impose control? Maybe. I think I would buy some if they would have a national bank behind it... so at least they will attract a good part of the interested public away from the grey market.

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            I've changed the title to reflect that I was talking about encryption, not crypto-currencies.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by BogT View Post
                              Here's a good example of why regulations (laws) are needed...

                              ...Yes Sweden is launching a national Crypto Currency, but its not Kryptonex.



                              primer linked the fake, here being the website they try to emulate: https://www.coindesk.com/
                              akes me wonder how that Venezuelan crypto is going against....uh.....fallout bottlecaps....

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X