Clear All

• Piirka
    started a topic Medical

Medical

All things medical.

• Moro
    replied
    Antibiotic Booster Discovery Puts Morocco on Global Pharmaceutical Map

Moroccan scientist Adnane Remmal has put Morocco on the global pharmaceutical map through his development of an antibiotic booster drug that combines antibiotics with anti-bacterial properties of local plants.
    The discovery earned him recently the recognition of the European Patent Office (EPO), which granted him its European Inventor Award 2017...

http://northafricapost.com/18389-ant...tical-map.html

Leave a comment:

• Rosbach
    replied
    Collins, Charles - Staff Ride Handbook for the Lewis and Clark Expedition

" ... The state of medical science in 1803 was not advanced much beyond what was known in medieval times. Scientifc medicine was based upon the Depletive Theory. This theory taught that, if a person was sick, there was a bad substance inside the body that had to be removed. Doctors conducted the removal by sweating, increased urination, vomiting, purging, or bloodletting. Most of the available scientifc medicines of the day were developed to cause one of those actions. ..." etc

Gives an idea of the philosphy of medicine at the time. Didn´t change much until late 19th century.

Leave a comment:

• EvilMinion
    replied
    Malaria: Kenya, Ghana, and Malawi get first vaccine. The pilot programme starts in 2018. It sounds very promising, but because it needs to be given over several doses it sounds like it will be difficult to administer to everyone who needs it.

The pilot will involve more than 750,000 children aged between five and 17 months. Around half will get the vaccine in order to compare the jab's real-world effectiveness. In this age group, the four doses have been shown to prevent nearly four in ten cases of malaria.

Leave a comment:

• commanding
    replied
    STROKE, brain damage, Australian spider venom....

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/2017...strokes-world/

Let's hope this works, several of us on this forum have suffered from stroke, it is usually unexpected, unavoidable, and most people like myself have NO IDEA of the signs of stroke, nor any clue as to the importance of immediate care in a hospital! (Minutes not hours)

Leave a comment:

• Penny the Penguin
    replied
    Researchers store computer operating system and short movie on DNA

Humanity may soon generate more data than hard drives or magnetic tape can handle, a problem that has scientists turning to nature's age-old solution for information-storage—DNA.

In a new study in Science, a pair of researchers at Columbia University and the New York Genome Center (NYGC) show that an algorithm designed for streaming video on a cellphone can unlock DNA's nearly full storage potential by squeezing more information into its four base nucleotides.

Read more at: https://phys.org/news/2017-03-short-movie-dna.html#jCp

Leave a comment:

• Rosbach
    replied
    Basic Splinting Techniques

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O_bsrtXVpTA

Leave a comment:

• Rosbach
    replied
    Basic Laceration Repair

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qTrttHXLEF0

Leave a comment:

• Rosbach
    replied
    Arterial Puncture for Blood Gas Analysis

From our forum rules: ​2.5. Don't direct post gory or graphic images.

This is for dicussion not visual instructions. Not many people want to see this. You can post a link to the site, and a discussion on how it pretains this discussion. Do not post this kind of video on this forum. Thanks.

Mod
    H.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YuFK22n-tvI
    Last edited by Rosbach; 19-02-2017, 08:40 PM.

Leave a comment:

• commanding
    replied
    Originally posted by riderboy View Post
    Yep. Ether was flammable, there was a great anesthetic gas called cyclopropane which was a three carbon ring. You can imagine how stable that was. There were several fatal explosions in the OR from that.

When I was wheeled into surgery I used to try to roll over and see the floor to see if it was the conductive tile or the new floor type, my profession compelled me ( with apologies to the movie The Exorcist )

Used to do some hospital work (the buildings)

Leave a comment:

• Cowboy's daughter
    replied
    Originally posted by Rosbach View Post

"7 ounces of ether for one appendectomy". Nil else recorded. Back in the days
    I was about 4 years old when a small town Doc. removed my tonsils, in a rural hospital, & I was put to sleep with ether! The bed spun around and around!

Leave a comment:

• Rosbach
    replied
    Yep. Ether was flammable, there was a great anesthetic gas called cyclopropane which was a three carbon ring. You can imagine how stable that was. There were several fatal explosions in the OR from that.
    "7 ounces of ether for one appendectomy". Nil else recorded. Back in the days

Leave a comment:

• riderboy
    replied
    Originally posted by commanding View Post

medicine has come a long way since the era of ether, and the black conductive floor tiles on the floors of all operating rooms. I can remember when the first red conductive floor tiles came out.

Leave a comment:

• commanding
    replied
    That's the beautiful thing about being an anesthesiologist. Get some drunken unwiped, obnoxious ass or doper and you only have to tolerate the BS for a few minutes. We always win.
    medicine has come a long way since the era of ether, and the black conductive floor tiles on the floors of all operating rooms. I can remember when the first red conductive floor tiles came out.

Leave a comment:

• riderboy
    replied
    Originally posted by Cowboy's daughter View Post

No joke. I've had male patient try to kick me (in the hospital), female client slap me (in mhmr, she made my ears ring), male patient slug me in the stomach with his fist (in a nursing home, attempting to get him to take his med.), patients curse me, pull nurses' hair, try to bite, slap, hit. It's a part of nursing. Thank God, I always just turned and walked away. & had clients /patients curse me when I wouldn't give them the med they wanted before the time ordered. (in an immigration, etc. jail /prison.) I'm so glad I'm retired.
    The funniest had to be an elderly woman who was loudly praying for God to give us all a heart attack, and for us to die. I know. Nurses, etc. have a twisted sense of humor.
    That's the beautiful thing about being an anesthesiologist. Get some drunken unwiped, obnoxious ass or doper and you only have to tolerate the BS for a few minutes. We always win.

Leave a comment:

Working...
X