Medical

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by muck View Post
    ^ I'm not so sure about that. Demented patients alone can be quite aggressive and abusive. Emergency ward crews in especial experience all kinds of stress including intoxicated individuals posing a threat to them and others; patients and patient's relatives going postal about long waits or treatment plans; and last but not least, in the end every medical facility is but a place where a representative cross-section of society has to meet more or less unwillingly, including the morons, the violent, the wicked, the perverts… I've never been to a country where not at least some medical workers in big cities wore stab resistant vests.
    True that. When my mother had alzheimers/ mental age related....she would "slug" both my older brother and the paid caretakers who worked in her facility. To the point we were afraid they would dismiss her from the facility.....she had been a closeted mean person her entire life.

My first night in rehab for the stroke there were no doctors and no meds, I was in pain level 10, with zero relief, I didn't hit anyone but I was screaming and moaning so loudly, I am sure no one could sleep. I finally used my cell phone and called 9-11 for an ambulance to take me to a hospital. They did.

Comment

Well, the first time I was hospitalized they gave me two horrible room neighbors in a row. The first one was in his late sixties and obviously demented, I believe he had broken a hip after a ladder fall; he was verbally abusive, wished death on me and even struck a nurse once. He was restrained and shipped to another ward soon afterwards.

The other was fairly young, barely older than me; a patient to remember, he was, being hospitalized for a heart attack at so young an age. He tried to flee from the hospital while in a highly instable condition… I remember he wanted to go on vacation desparately and was afraid of missing his flight… he used to be very aggressive, too. Those two were terrible patients.

They were even terrible for me and I was referred to another wing later so I could recover in peace.

I've been speaking highly of nurses ever since, their job is sheer stress.

Originally posted by commanding View Post
      ....she had been a closeted mean person her entire life.
      Ouch. I'm… glad… my father has been an openly mean person for his entire life. I guess?

Originally posted by commanding View Post
      My first night in rehab for the stroke there were no doctors and no meds, I was in pain level 10, with zero relief, I didn't hit anyone but I was screaming and moaning so loudly, I am sure no one could sleep. I finally used my cell phone and called 9-11 for an ambulance to take me to a hospital. They did.
      I know the feeling. After the belly surgery, I woke up early for some reason with no painkillers in the system yet. I must have screamed like I was being eaten alive or something… perhaps it happened so because the original wound had hurt like hell, maybe it brought me back in time, so to speak.

Comment

Really clever words:

Rabbi Dr. Abraham Twerski On Responding To Stress

Comment

Two books, that don´t seem to be related to this thread, but they are.

Michio Kaku - The Future of the Mind
          with a huge section on neurobiology.

Robert M. Gates - Duty. Memoirs of a Secretary at War
          among other topics about how politics interfere with medevac, fields hospitals, rehab, IED protection.

Comment

Scientists in California say they have transformed understanding of Parkinson's disease.
            http://www.bbc.com/news/health-38173287

Comment

Spanish team discovers protein that sparks metastasis:

An article published in the journal Nature details how a team led by Salvador Aznar Benitah has identified a protein that plays a crucial role in metastasis and could improve diagnosis, revolutionize cancer treatment and even change our diet.
              more: http://elpais.com/elpais/2016/12/08/...49_512948.html

Saludos

Comment

'Fountain-of-youth' molecules were able to make mice young again and extend their lives.

The same four molecules that revolutionized research on stem cells can also reverse aging in mice, scientists reportedThursday, a finding that could herald new approaches to trying to extend human life.

http://uk.businessinsider.com/study-...der)&r=US&IR=T

https://www.statnews.com/2016/12/15/...reverse-aging/

Saludos

Comment

“Zombie” Outbreak Caused by the Synthetic Cannabinoid AMB-FUBINACA in New York

New psychoactive substances constitute a growing and dynamic class of abused drugs in the United States. On July 12, 2016, a synthetic cannabinoid caused mass intoxication of 33 persons in one New York City neighborhood, in an event described in the popular press as a “zombie” outbreak because of the appearance of the intoxicated persons.

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMoa1610300

Comment

So It seem that after some test, the Canadian vaccine for Ebola is working.
                    http://www.francetvinfo.fr/sante/mal...s_1985011.html in french only
                    So they test it on 6000 persons in Guinea, who have been exposed to ebola after immunization. None develop the disease.

I would never volunteer for this kind of test, being expose voluntarily to ebola.....

Comment

Transient Smartphone “Blindness”

N Engl J Med 2016; 374:2502-2504June 23, 2016DOI: 10.1056/NEJMc1514294

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1514294

... In a study ..., two of the authors monocularly viewed a smartphone screen at arm’s length and quantified the time course of recovery of sensitivity in the dark both psychophysically and electrophysiologically. Visual sensitivity was appreciably reduced after smartphone viewing, taking several minutes to recover, and this reduction in sensitivity was measurable at the level of the retina.

Although most people view screens binocularly, people frequently use smartphones while lying down, when one eye can be inadvertently covered. Smartphones are now used nearly around the clock, and manufacturers are producing screens with increased brightness to offset background ambient luminance and thereby allow easy reading. Hence, presentations such as we describe are likely to become more frequent. ...

Comment

Insertion of an Intraosseous Needle in Adults

http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMvcm1211371

Comment

books:

Jonathan Shay - Achilles in Vietnam: Combat Trauma and the Undoing of Character

"An original and groundbreaking book that examines the psychological devastation of war by comparing the soldiers of Homer’s Iliad with Vietnam veterans suffering from post-traumatic stress disorder" (Amazon)

Jonathan Kaplan - The Dressing Station: A Surgeon's Chronicle of War and Medicine

Comment

Henry Dunat - Un Souvenir de Solferino (in English)
                            - after action report of the battle of Solferino

https://ia800207.us.archive.org/23/i...00dunarich.pdf

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by riderboy View Post
                                The kids we would get in the OR obviously had failed attempts in the ER or Doctor's office. The foreign body usually pushed in fairly deep, often bloody or all snotted up, the kid and his mom crying and upset. It can be a real challenge, even when the kid is anesthetized.
                                When my kid was a toddler she stuck a green monopoly house up her nose. I took her to the E.R., & the E.R. nurse, who I knew, put one finger on the opposite side of her nose, told her to blow, & the monopoly house shot out of her nose!

Comment

Working...
                                X