Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Medical

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    You're not irrational, you're just quantum probabilistic: Researchers explain human decision-making with physics theory

    The next time someone accuses you of making an irrational decision, just explain that you're obeying the laws of quantum physics.

    A new trend taking shape in psychological science not only uses quantum physics to explain humans' (sometimes) paradoxical thinking, but may also help researchers resolve certain contradictions among the results of previous psychological studies.
    http://phys.org/news/2015-09-youre-i...tic-human.html

    Comment


    • #17
      MEDICAL MANAGEMENT OF BIOLOGICAL CASUALTIES HANDBOOK

      http://www.usamriid.army.mil/educati...Sep%202011.pdf

      Comment


      • #18
        Disaster Podcasts - For Emergency Responders at All Levels

        http://disasterpodcast.com/

        Comment


        • #19
          Jim Murphy - An American Plaque
          The True and Terrifying Story of the Yellow Fever Epidemic of 1793
          https://books.google.de/books?id=DmW...Delaware&hl=de

          Comment


          • #20
            Antibiotic resistance: World on cusp of 'post-antibiotic era'

            Originally posted by BBC
            The world is on the cusp of a "post-antibiotic era", scientists have warned after finding bacteria resistant to drugs used when all other treatments have failed.

            They identified bacteria able to shrug off the drug of last resort - colistin - in patients and livestock in China.

            They said that resistance would spread around the world and raised the spectre of untreatable infections.
            http://www.bbc.com/news/health-34857...ource=facebook

            What do you think Mordoror?

            Comment


            • #21
              Originally posted by Spartan10k View Post
              Antibiotic resistance: World on cusp of 'post-antibiotic era'



              http://www.bbc.com/news/health-34857...ource=facebook

              What do you think Mordoror?
              I think that the article is correct. I just read yesterday that we already have tuberculosis strains resistant to the last 2 ATB on the market meaning that there are strains resistant to ALL antibiotic available (so you need a combination of up to 7 ATB + surgery in hope to save the patient)
              http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1505196
              The drugs were put on the market last year in 2014 !!

              Resistance is reversible (this has been shown by studies in Danemark and Northern Europe) if strong SOPs are implemented : stopping ATB use in farm animals, stopping random use of ATBs in human population to treat viral cold/flu/cough, keep some molecules for hospital use only, check patients coming back from abroad etc
              But it's money, staff and time consuming so we are sitting on a tickling bomb

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by Mordoror View Post

                I think that the article is correct. I just read yesterday that we already have tuberculosis strains resistant to the last 2 ATB on the market meaning that there are strains resistant to ALL antibiotic available (so you need a combination of up to 7 ATB + surgery in hope to save the patient)
                http://www.nejm.org/doi/full/10.1056/NEJMc1505196
                The drugs were put on the market last year in 2014 !!

                Resistance is reversible (this has been shown by studies in Danemark and Northern Europe) if strong SOPs are implemented : stopping ATB use in farm animals, stopping random use of ATBs in human population to treat viral cold/flu/cough, keep some molecules for hospital use only, check patients coming back from abroad etc
                But it's money, staff and time consuming so we are sitting on a tickling bomb
                Medicine/biology/chemistry really aren't my strongest areas. Has no other method besides anti-bacterials been developed to counter these things?

                Comment


                • #23
                  Originally posted by Spartan10k View Post
                  Medicine/biology/chemistry really aren't my strongest areas. Has no other method besides anti-bacterials been developed to counter these things?
                  Yes, phage therapy but it is not accepted in western medicine : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phage_therapy
                  Mainly because it was intensively developed un Soviet Union because of lack of antibiotics. It works and that pretty well, it is just a bit more complicated to implement and it has that aura of "former commie thing" that make it suspicious to a lot of western M.D

                  Otherwise you have prevention through simple means (hand washing) or more technical things (copper layers on door handles, stair ramps and everywhere you put your hands on in hospitals) that reduce the risk (without of course neutralizing it at 100%)

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    In a Moment’s Notice: Surge Capacity for Terrorist Bombings Challenges and Proposed Solutions http://emergency.cdc.gov/masscasualt...gecapacity.pdf

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      "OK, we've had enough, you can stop eating", says the gut bacteria...

                      Your gut bacteria are controlling your appetite, study finds
                      http://www.sciencealert.com/your-gut...-your-appetite

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        White Blood Cell Chases Bacteria
                        https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=JnlULOjUhSQ

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          Posttraumatic stress disorder reveals imbalance between signalling systems in the brain

                          Researchers from Uppsala University and Karolinska Institutet now show that people with posttraumatic stress disorder have an imbalance between two neurochemical systems in the brain, serotonin and substance P. The greater the imbalance, the more serious the symptoms patients have.
                          http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-1...imbalance.html

                          Comment


                          • #28
                            Originally posted by Penny the Penguin View Post
                            Posttraumatic stress disorder reveals imbalance between signalling systems in the brain




                            http://medicalxpress.com/news/2015-1...imbalance.html
                            That's the best news I've heard for a long time! Hopefully this can lead to dedicated PTSD medicin! Not having to use anti-depressants and other weird medication with all their side effects would be awesome but therapy will probably still be needed in many cases. Prolonged Exposure Therapy has helped me a lot. But hasn't helped on serotonin levels.. so i'm still dependent upon anti-depressants.

                            Comment


                            • #29
                              Originally posted by The Dane View Post
                              That's the best news I've heard for a long time! Hopefully this can lead to dedicated PTSD medicin! Not having to use anti-depressants and other weird medication with all their side effects would be awesome but therapy will probably still be needed in many cases. Prolonged Exposure Therapy has helped me a lot. But hasn't helped on serotonin levels.. so i'm still dependent upon anti-depressants.
                              Glad to hear what you have to say, thank you for sharing your insights and thoughts,The Dane. Absolutely, hopefully it will lead to a better overall understanding and approach for treatment. It may even also possibly help with treatment of individual issues for others such as those suffering primarily with anxiety, or depression, as well. It would be good to result in less side effects while on medications, and ultimately better balanced levels and experiences for the individual, and enhance community awareness at the same time, and dispel social stigmas.

                              The abilities and functions of neurotransmittors in themselves is astounding: how they work to protect the mind during trauma, or how profoundly they attempt to signal/communicate and operate during and after such occurrences. Not only is it amazing they have identified precise neurotransmittors, but I have reread the part in the article over and over, as it is interesting, where they precisely pinpoint, it is the imbalance rather than the degree of change between serotonin and substance P. It would be good to read/learn more as they progress with their research on it.
                              Last edited by Penny the Penguin; 02-12-2015, 11:56 PM.

                              Comment


                              • #30
                                http://outbreaks.globalincidentmap.com/home.php

                                about infectious diseases, recent outbreaks, updated every 5 minutes

                                http://www.globalincidentmap.com/

                                A Global Display of Terrorist Activities and other Suspicious Events

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X