Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Lockheed Martin Now Has a Patent For Its Potentially World Changing Fusion Reactor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lockheed Martin Now Has a Patent For Its Potentially World Changing Fusion Reactor

http://www.thedrive.com/the-war-zone...fusion-reactor

I don't know if this has been posted yet. If so, mods please delete or merge as appropriate. If not, it's pretty cool!

Unfortunately, patents don't mean much in the United States, as there's no requirement to actually prove that something works.

The fact that LM has been so public about this project means one of two things:
    1. They actually have high confidence that there will be some measure of success.
    2. This is all a glorified PR stunt.
    My hope is for the former. My expectation is the latter. I suppose we'll find out in a couple years.

Comment

From 2014.

https://www.wired.com/2014/10/lockheed-martin-fusion/

It would also somehow make sense that US would be trying to pull the plug on their involvement in ITER all those years (despite the rampant cost and time overruns of that project) if they knew some research back home might come to fruition sooner.

We shall see tho.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratamacue View Post
        Unfortunately, patents don't mean much in the United States, as there's no requirement to actually prove that something works.

1. They actually have high confidence that there will be some measure of success.

My hope is for the former. My expectation is the latter. I suppose we'll find out in a couple years.
        If we knew the funding sources, it would tell us a lot. If it's based on government grants primarily, I'd say that failure is a likely outcome because it's simply another government funded research project on the subject, with about the same low probability of success. If it is funded by LM itself, I'd say that there's a good chance for a positive result because LM probably wouldn't dump that much money or time into something that didn't have a good chance of yielding a return.

Comment

and probably has has for the last 50 years

Comment

Energy of the future, and always will be.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratamacue View Post

Yep. Fusion energy has been "just 10 years away" for the past several decades (and for good reasons too, as it is bloody difficult to achieve magnetic confinement of plasma due to various instabilities). Hence, it is VERY unlikely that some breakthrough has happened, especially at LM (which, unlike ITER, is not really known for its Magnetohydrodynamic (MHD) physicists).

Comment

While I have my doubts, I wish them every success. Would definitely be a game changer.

Comment

Working...
                X