No announcement yet.

Self-driving Uber car runs over and kills a pedestrian

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Looks like a machine and human failure combined to me.
    Don't know how well the driver could have seen the pedestrian, I suspect that the camera picture is not an accurate representation of how the scene looked through the human eye.
    But the driver was not paying attention and thus failed his role as a fail-safety and wasn't able to properly react to a machine failure.

The car doesn't seem to have reacted at all. That's a problem. Either it wasn't fast enough, broken or it didn't get all the sensors it could have.
    Darkness should be no excuse for a machine that could just as well be made to use FLIR, radar etc. etc.

Comment

Originally posted by Xaito View Post
      Looks like a machine and human failure combined to me.
      Don't know how well the driver could have seen the pedestrian, I suspect that the camera picture is not an accurate representation of how the scene looked through the human eye.
      But the driver was not paying attention and thus failed his role as a fail-safety and wasn't able to properly react to a machine failure.

The car doesn't seem to have reacted at all. That's a problem. Either it wasn't fast enough, broken or it didn't get all the sensors it could have.
      Darkness should be no excuse for a machine that could just as well be made to use FLIR, radar etc. etc.
      x2

​As per the vid, seems that the human driver is able to see her before impact, reacts and tries to reach for the wheel. Had he been driving, with his hands at the Wheel and his eyes on the road it could, or could not have been different story. The problem to me is that the machine was overspeeding, that its sensors didnt detect an obstacle, and didnt even react at all. Had it been a human driver, and his car not been owned by a big Company and full of cameras, he would be in deep shit by now. Everybody seems to want this incident to go out of the radar as quickly as possible

​Next time car gets confused, it could drive someone off a Cliff. Next stop in this road, suicide by self-driving car.

Comment

The money that can be saved by using automated vehicles is too much to resist. The amount of money spent on drivers and the low utilisation will make this change inevitable, ready or not.

So what if a few homeless it kids get run over , they should have crossed at a crossing or been more "predictable". Safety figures will be manipulated to make these cars out to be safer despite high profile incidents.

Comment

Originally posted by Connaught Ranger View Post
          waiting for the self flying passenger planes.
          Can't wait for those and the self driving 18 wheel semi-trailer trucks. Should be fun. Might work for trains though.....Only one reliable way to self propel home...

Comment

Sorry, but I have a hard time not wanting to have an human in the loop on systems such as cars, trucks, trains, and planes. Something about the DRIVER having his/her own wellbeing involved brings a better sense of seriousness to directing the movements and actions of that object.

Comment

Originally posted by Euroamerican View Post
              Sorry, but I have a hard time not wanting to have an human in the loop on systems such as cars, trucks, trains, and planes. Something about the DRIVER having his/her own wellbeing involved brings a better sense of seriousness to directing the movements and actions of that object.
              Trains (actually subways) can work as an automatic system since they are glorified elevators, can only go in one direction on designated tracks. Next I can see planes working as automatic systems under limited conditions. Both of these are up and running for decades...

But cars? No! Too many things can happen on the road: kids jumping in front of the car, animals, sudden maneuvers, bad weather, etc. And we don't have sensors and response good enough algorithm at this point. It would only work if everything on the road would broadcast its position, direction and speed... so designated roads.

What really annoys me about the situation: we all were expecting for this to happened. It was not about if, but when. Why did/do they allow underdeveloped technology like this on the road. Public roads are not testing grounds. The entire situation streams to me of criminal neglect, from lawmakers to road officials, to Uber & co., to the automatic system developers.

While I would love for automatic cars to exist, we are not there yet. I hope the driver will be prosecuted to the fullest extent of the law (no excuse should be accepted; he should have had his hands on the wheel ). It should act as an example that you are still responsible regardless of the automatic systems you employ. You don't what that? You don't want to be responsible but you want a individual car transport? Tough! Call a friend, or a driver (taxi) instead... that's what I do (I hate driving).

Comment

The future is near, and humans are doomed

Comment

Originally posted by Dercius View Post

x2

​As per the vid, seems that the human driver is able to see her before impact, reacts and tries to reach for the wheel. Had he been driving, with his hands at the Wheel and his eyes on the road it could, or could not have been different story. The problem to me is that the machine was overspeeding, that its sensors didnt detect an obstacle, and didnt even react at all. Had it been a human driver, and his car not been owned by a big Company and full of cameras, he would be in deep shit by now. Everybody seems to want this incident to go out of the radar as quickly as possible

​Next time car gets confused, it could drive someone off a Cliff. Next stop in this road, suicide by self-driving car.
                  Bingo. By letting the vehicle do the "thinking and acting" the driver will almost always become disengaged to some significant extent and will be unable to react in an emergency in any meaningful manner.

Next question. What happens when someone who is drunk or otherwise impaired, decides to get behind the wheel of a self driving car instead of calling a taxi, because he thinks that the car will take care of everything? He may not even know that he hit someone or something and just go speeding off. In a related note, what if it is a self propelled taxi? What liability does a passenger have to control the vehicle if there is no "driver" to act as a safety?

Comment

Originally posted by riderboy View Post

Can't wait for those and the self driving 18 wheel semi-trailer trucks. Should be fun. Might work for trains though.....Only one reliable way to self propel home...

Well that's a fairly autonomous vehicle there.

Comment

Working...
                    X