Self-driving Uber car runs over and kills a pedestrian

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Self-driving Uber car runs over and kills a pedestrian

Elaine Herzberg, 49, was hit by an SUV around 10pm on Sunday in Tempe, Arizona, when she was walking outside of a crosswalk.

She was immediately rushed to the hospital where she died from her injuries, ABC 15 reported.

Tempe Police say the SUV was in autonomous mode at the time of the crash and a vehicle operator was also behind the wheel.
    The accident is the first time a pedestrian has been killed on a public road by an autonomous car, which has been praised as the safer alternative to a traditional car
    http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/arti...n-Arizona.html

"Safer alternative", oh fuck off, you brave new world. As long as the necessary infrastructure is run by humans, it's not safer by definition. And what about hacking? All these questions need answering. When will our delusional species finally understand that not all that's possible is also advisable?

Comment

Right-O muck

I was waiting for such an incident, not that I’m rejoicing over a dead person but self driving cars is not the future.

Now wait until the first school bus with dozen kids crashes because of a “self driving car” and we are done with them.

Comment

waiting for the self flying passenger planes.

Comment

Originally posted by JakeScully View Post
          Now wait until the first school bus with dozen kids crashes because of a “self driving car” and we are done with them.
          I'm afraid we won't be done with them that easily, perhaps never. Technical progress, coupled with capitalism and democracy have catapulted the Western world (and all who followed the rules at least to some extent) so immensely forward in terms of human development and wealth, it's actually not self-evident that progress could need restricting.

If you said that to a conservative they'd be likely to reply something along the lines of: What about the atom bomb, though (for an example)? Well, the atom bomb is a sympton of an incredibly profound understanding of the rules of nature and if it was the price we have to pay for, say, chemotherapy, wouldn't it be a deal worth our money?

I'd say the solution to this conundrum is viewing progress in relation to where we stand and where we're headed to. "Progress" itself means but stepping forward, which sounds like so good an idea per se the term "progressive" is generally understood to have a positive meaning. However, when you stand at the edge of a cliff stepping forward is something you might wanna think twice about.

What irks me is that we don't have any say in this, and I think we should.

Originally posted by Connaught Ranger View Post
          waiting for the self flying passenger planes.
          Aren't we almost there already? It's been like two years since they published that study many pilots rely on autopilot so heavily they would totally fuck up in any emergency situation.

Comment

Wonder who is liable for prosecution for dangerous driving?

the one in the drivers seat is legally the driver bus wasnt in control.

The software and development guys?

Or the head of Uber?

Comment

I'm pretty sure that is something that insurance companies are still fighting over.

Comment

Turns out the person was homeless and a drug addict and the driver is a Latino and former felon (armed robbery).

What a rich box of chocolates this story is.

I hope they will find a AR15 in the boot of the car.

Comment

Originally posted by Nemowork View Post
                  Wonder who is liable for prosecution for dangerous driving?

the one in the drivers seat is legally the driver bus wasnt in control.

The software and development guys?

Or the head of Uber?

Driver always carry criminal liability in such situation as he is responsible for controlling autonomus mode. Uber carry civil liability if negligence can be proven. Case will be settled out of the court obviously if they have any brains.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgor View Post
                    Turns out the person was homeless and a drug addict and the driver is a Latino and former felon (armed robbery).

What a rich box of chocolates this story is.

I hope they will find a AR15 in the boot of the car.

In America even homeless can make a history.

Comment

Originally posted by muck View Post
                      Aren't we almost there already? It's been like two years since they published that study many pilots rely on autopilot so heavily they would totally fuck up in any emergency situation.
                      My reference is to those envisioned with no pilot, co-pilot on board but flown remotely from the ground (no doubt RYANAIR would be the first to use them) lol

Comment

Apparently the Uber driver is also a tranny, making this story about a colourful as it gets.

Comment

RIP

Felt that was missing from this thread, among all the tech and political discussions.

Comment

Here is the video of what happened from the car point of view :

https://youtu.be/hthyTh_fopo

Comment

Originally posted by Bitogno View Post
                              Here is the video of what happened from the car point of view :

https://youtu.be/hthyTh_fopo
                              I don't know if a human could have seen the victim under those conditions or not. Sad, but it looked like she just walked right in front of the car.

Comment

Working...
                              X