X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Critics jump on ultrasound and autism connection

important news concerning pregnancy and ultrasound exams:

https://www.wkbw.com/news/health/cri...ism-connection

......the researchers did find a statistical association between deep ultrasound wave penetration during the first and second trimesters and autism. "Depth of penetration has to do with the distance between the ultrasound transducer (probe) on the skin and the point at what you're looking at on the ultrasound," said Dr. Jodi Abbott, a co-author of the new study and a physician with Boston Medical Center.

Before everyone jumps on the "ULTRASOUNDS CAUSE AUTISM!" bandwagon, I would like to remind that statistical correlation is not the same as causation.

Comment

Originally posted by Ratamacue View Post
      Before everyone jumps on the "ULTRASOUNDS CAUSE AUTISM!" bandwagon, I would like to remind that statistical correlation is not the same as causation.
      Ditto
      To quote the first author of the study

Dr. N. Paul Rosman, first author of the study and a pediatric neurologist at Boston Medical Center, emphasized that an association does not prove cause and effect. The study results, then, do not mean that ultrasounds cause autism.
      But unfortunately, brace for the "ultrasounds = autism" knee jerk reactions

Comment

Originally posted by Ratamacue View Post
        I had never heard of this supposed possible connection before today, and having lived thru the results of the morning sickness drug Thalidomide in the early 1960s, I always am easily spooked by any possible such connections that could harm babies. Ultrasound as a medical tool is so widely used now.

a bit on the history of fetal ultrasound medical use:

https://www.livescience.com/32071-hi...ltrasound.html got started in the 1950s mostly in the UK and later in the US........

They perfected its clinical use, and by the end of the 1950s, ultrasound was routinely used in Glasgow hospitals, Nicolson said. But it didn’t really take off in British hospitals until the 1970s, and it was well into the 1970s before it became widely used in American hospitals,
        Our only child was born in US in early 1973 (about same age as Mordoror) and there was zero fetal ultrasound at Army hospitals then.
        Last edited by commanding; 14-02-2018, 06:00 AM.

Comment

Causation... bah don't let science in here.

Comment

Working...
          X