X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The trolley problem (the greater good dilemma) psychological experiment

The Trolley Problem
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolley_problem

Would you reroute a train to run over one person to prevent it from running over five others? In the classic “Trolley Problem” survey, most people say they would. But I wanted to test what people would actually do in a real-life situation.

Depends. If all of them are commies I’ll try to get all of them for the bonus points.

Comment

I find it hard to actually predict what my reaction would be. As they say talk is cheap. It is easy to talk the talk, but try to walk the walk, things can then seem very different. As Spartan pointed, what are the bonus points?

Comment

Reacting at all, i.e. bringing oneself to do something, would be the difficult part for most people. Once that obstacle is taken, I fail to see why anyone would not rerout the train. If you're clear enough in your head to make a decision, you'll likely want to save five lives instead of one.

Comment

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lDnO4nDA3kM

Comment

Originally posted by muck View Post
            Reacting at all, i.e. bringing oneself to do something, would be the difficult part for most people. Once that obstacle is taken, I fail to see why anyone would not rerout the train. If you're clear enough in your head to make a decision, you'll likely want to save five lives instead of one.

Likely is a interesting term. Am I likely before I had my coffee in the morning, or after I have my coffee. Am I likely before a beer or after many beers? Reaction does not take a clear mind, just habit. I still think bonus points are the answer.

Comment

If it’s 5 strangers on one side and my dad on the other. Sorry but my dad is worth more than them.

Comment

Originally posted by Hollis View Post
                I find it hard to actually predict what my reaction would be. As they say talk is cheap. It is easy to talk the talk, but try to walk the walk, things can then seem very different. As Spartan pointed, what are the bonus points?
                if it were REALITY.....any such REAL decision would be made in a second or two....so there's that. I have looked at the still graphics on this and how they attempt to extrapolate one scenario into another, 5 condoms dropping on 5 penises vs a single fetus...and the whole exercise starts to look political and an attempt to play games with people's thinking process. So me no play.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Trolley_problem

http://www.trolleydilemma.com/

Comment

Originally posted by Spartan10k View Post
                  If it’s 5 strangers on one side and my dad on the other. Sorry but my dad is worth more than them.
                  Ah, so that's what you people meant by bonus points. Alright then. How about five strangers vs. one stranger though?

Comment

Ah, so that's what you people meant by bonus points. Alright then. How about five strangers vs. one stranger though?
                    Ah no. Bonus points would be if I could kill communists on both tracks.

And all strangers? Need more info. Otherwise I just would walk away.

Comment

Consider this. Life insurance + the payoff from the lawsuit = decades of hookers and blow for the person who collects. What do you think your dad would do if it was you on the track? Remember this, it takes a lifetime to make an old man but children are easily replaced.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertKLR View Post

Consider this. Life insurance + the payoff from the lawsuit = decades of hookers and blow for the person who collects. What do you think your dad would do if it was you on the track? Remember this, it takes a lifetime to make an old man but children are easily replaced.
                        Oh he’d save me for sure. Especially if it was just strangers.

Comment

rerouting a train to save five....
                          https://qph.ec.quoracdn.net/main-qim...f4e635588146-c

Comment

Oh he’d save me for sure. Especially if it was just strangers.
                            "Dad, you wouldn't let me die would you? Dad? Dad? Mom!??

Comment

How hot is the 1 compare to the other 5?

Comment

Working...
                              X