Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Space news

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • SpaceX Hid a Second, Hidden Payload Aboard Falcon Heavy, And It Sounds Amazing

    Last year, Elon Musk's personal Tesla might have gotten all the headlines during SpaceX's historic rocket launch back back in February, but the Falcon Heavy also carried a second, secret payload almost nobody knew about.

    Stashed inside the midnight-cherry Roadster was a mysterious, small object designed to last for millions (perhaps billions) of years – even in extreme environments like space, or on the distant surfaces of far-flung planetary bodies.
    https://www.sciencealert.com/spacex-...N_nB_fZxRR0uaM

    Comment


    • Originally posted by Euroamerican View Post
      Very cool to put an operational lander on the dark side. Haven't read the articles yet, but I assume they have a way to communicate via a satellite above ?
      It is worth noting that four other countries contributed to the science payload of this Chang'e mission. They were supplied by international partners in Sweden, Germany, the Netherlands, and Saudi Arabia.

      China's space station will be open to international partners. Yes, it may even include Americans who banned Chinese from the current international space station.

      Comment


      • Originally posted by pla View Post
        It is worth noting that four other countries contributed to the science payload of this Chang'e mission. They were supplied by international partners in Sweden, Germany, the Netherlands, and Saudi Arabia.

        China's space station will be open to international partners. Yes, it may even include Americans who banned Chinese from the current international space station.
        NASA would love to cooperate more with CNSA. However,in the United States, most technology related to spaceflight and/or large-scale rocketry is Export Controlled under USML/ITAR due to its military applications. China's recent history of total disregard for intellectual property means that the Department of State will never approve the technology transfer licenses required for effective cooperation between NASA and CNSA--particularly such as would be needed for manned missions.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Ratamacue View Post
          NASA would love to cooperate more with CNSA. However,in the United States, most technology related to spaceflight and/or large-scale rocketry is Export Controlled under USML/ITAR due to its military applications. China's recent history of total disregard for intellectual property means that the Department of State will never approve the technology transfer licenses required for effective cooperation between NASA and CNSA--particularly such as would be needed for manned missions.
          I am sorry that this is simply not true. There are IP thefts in ALL countries, including China. It may even be true that China has the MOST number of IP thefts, but to say that China has "total disregard" is simply Western misinformation campaign. China is a big country, so anything about it is going to be big. Having the most number of IP thefts does not say much about severity. If China's IP theft problem is as severe as the West is trying to portray, then there would be countless law suits challenging Chinese companies outside China. For example, China's Huawei is suing American companies right now in American courts. CISCO sued Huawei, but it was settled outside the court, etc... There are TONS of allegations against China coming from the West, but not much PROVEN cases. When it comes to China, it is guilty before proving innocent. So we don't play your game anymore. We simply create our own world order. We will be the only ones having a space station out there, and we will INVITE the Americans to come as a way to humiliate them.

          Comment


          • This is not a thread for political discussions.

            Comment


            • TESS Starts to Deliver
              Early results from the world’s leading exoplanet survey.


              https://www.airspacemag.com/daily-pl...ver-180971205/

              NASA’s newest planet-hunting space telescope broke from the gate cleanly, discovering eight confirmed planets and more than 300 additional candidates—including about 30 that are almost ready for publication in the scientific literature—in its first few months of operations, according to mission scientists. It also recorded more than two dozen exploding stars, flares on the surfaces of red dwarf stars, and scores of other flickering astronomical objects

              Comment


              • New pictures from the Moon: https://gizmodo.com/see-the-first-pa...cap-1831671449

                and a video of the landing:

                Comment


                • Newest video showing Yutu-2 rover moving on moon surface:

                  Comment


                  • Great videos!

                    It will be interesting to see the results of Chang’e-4 unique biological experiment.

                    Comment


                    • InSight Update, sols 25-42: Seismometer sensors working!

                      Tricky setup and cable management on Mars
                      http://www.planetary.org/blogs/emily...oQrOYXKK6MivtI

                      Comment


                      • Beresheet spacecraft being packed before shipping to Florida.

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by Penny the Penguin View Post
                          Great videos!

                          It will be interesting to see the results of Chang’e-4 unique biological experiment.

                          The plant has died: https://www.theguardian.com/science/...hange-4-lander

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by pla View Post
                            RIP ..........

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by pla View Post

                              Yes, thanks for the link, pla. So beautiful it sprouted.

                              Comment


                              • It strangely resonates with the latest KSR book “The Red Moon”.

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X