Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WATCH LIVE as Nasa astronauts perform RECORD BREAKING spacewalk

Comment

• Apparently we have some black holes as nearby neighbors.

http://www.independent.co.uk/news/sc...-a7514541.html

Comment

• Originally posted by JimHPTN View Post
        Apparently we have some black holes as nearby neighbors.

Whoever wrote that article is an alarmist idiot. Besides that, this isn't anything new. The presence of supermassive black holes at galactic centers has been theorized for decades.

Comment

• Originally posted by JimHPTN View Post
          Apparently we have some black holes as nearby neighbors.

The NASA video of a massive black hole shredding a star, is magnificent.

Check this out, it's pretty awesome too: This Beautiful Image Shows Black Holes In The Distant Universe
          Last edited by Penny the Penguin; 10-01-2017, 06:08 AM.

Comment

• Fascinating

Comment

• SpaceX Iridium-1

Comment

• NASA's most detailed views of Saturn's rings are both research and art

Comment

• Looks like grooves in a giant vinyl record.

----------------

How an Interstellar Starship Could Actually Explore Alpha Centauri

Last year, Stephen Hawking and Russian billionaire Yuri Milner hatched an ambitious plan to send a tiny probe to the Alpha Centauri star system. Travelling at 20 percent the speed of light, the researchers weren’t entirely sure how the probe was supposed to stop once it arrived at its destination, or whether it would even be able to. Excitingly, a pair of European scientists now say they’ve solved the problem.
                  http://gizmodo.com/how-an-interstell...ium=socialflow

Comment

• Originally posted by Penny the Penguin View Post
                    How an Interstellar Starship Could Actually Explore Alpha Centauri

http://gizmodo.com/how-an-interstell...ium=socialflow
                    Why, when I read articles about these things, is there no discussion on how a 100 g probe is expected to communicate any sort of useful information back to Earth--4.3 light years away?

Comment

• Originally posted by Ratamacue View Post
                      Why, when I read articles about these things, is there no discussion on how a 100 g probe is expected to communicate any sort of useful information back to Earth--4.3 light years away?
                      Well short of my own thinking about using Saturn's rings as a giant vinyl record and bouncing laser beams off it to transmit signals, I haven't read much on that aspect either. I would think there are Scientists working on it though, and await to read more on what they come up with as it will surely be fascinating.

I'm only a keen observer of this Initiative, I think it is exciting as an exercise in conceptualisation, in itself, let alone whether it happens or not. I think it would be brilliant if it does. It is also exciting to think of other advancements which may result or be effected by any new technology or processes which result simply from the conceptualisation process itself, also.

I could say the same as you have there, why this, why that, for example, but prefer to keep in mind what was said in the initial conference announcement at last year's Breakthrough Starshot Initiative conference. It really is worth watching for those interested in the Initiative, and haven't already seen it.

Those involved such as Hawking, believe it is possible to achieve. It is considerably a massive undertaking and many Scientists are already, or will be, working on all the aspects involved. The concepts, let alone, technology and processes will take time to fully realise. It is an ongoing endeavor which is at the very beginning stages of realisation. .

I'm also hoping there will be more on the processes including the communication aspects, and what those working on it have come up with, at the upcoming April, Breakthrough Starshot Initiative meeting, which was mentioned in the Article.
                      Last edited by Penny the Penguin; 02-02-2017, 07:16 AM.

Comment

• Stephen Hawking is a brilliant man, but he's not an engineer, and it's no skin off his back if this project never actually flies. He works in scientific theories, and may not fully grasp--or care about--the nitty gritty details of what goes in to making a realistic spacecraft survive--let alone function--in the dead of space.

From what I've read, they want to use a laser communication system, which makes sense, as it would provide the maximum possible gain. Even assuming, somehow, that the laser achieves no space losses from beam width or interstellar particles, it would require a pointing accuracy of +/-0.00015 microradians for that laser to hit Earth at a range of 4.26 ly. For comparison, the New Horizons probe has a pointing accuracy of +/-471 microrad--and that's using star trackers with a known star map.

Comment

Stephen Hawking is a brilliant man, but he's not an engineer, and it's no skin off his back if this project never actually flies. He works in scientific theories, and may not fully grasp--or care about--the nitty gritty details of what goes in to making a realistic spacecraft survive--let alone function--in the dead of space.

From what I've read, they want to use a laser communication system, which makes sense, as it would provide the maximum possible gain. Even assuming, somehow, that the laser achieves no space losses from beam width or interstellar particles, it would require a pointing accuracy of +/-0.00015 microradians for that laser to hit Earth at a range of 4.26 ly. For comparison, the New Horizons probe has a pointing accuracy of +/-471 microrad--and that's using star trackers with a known star map.

Engineers, yes of course, Ratamacue. The laser communication system you mentioned sounds an interesting read, do you have a link for it, please?

Comment

• This is not directly related to Starshot, but provides basic analyses on many of the same technologies they're aiming to develop:

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1604/1604.01356.pdf

Section 5 discusses both uplink and downlink communications, section 8 discusses power, and section 10 discusses attitude control.

Comment

This is not directly related to Starshot, but provides basic analyses on many of the same technologies they're aiming to develop:

https://arxiv.org/ftp/arxiv/papers/1604/1604.01356.pdf

Section 5 discusses both uplink and downlink communications, section 8 discusses power, and section 10 discusses attitude control.
                              Brilliant, thanks heaps Ratamacue, very much appreciated, will have a read. Thanks again.

Comment

• Investigating the potential of including a crew on the maiden flight of SLS
                                February 15, 2017 by Chris Bergin adn Chris Gebhardt

With NASA’s management officially informing the workforce that evaluations are taking place into installing a crew on to the first flight of the Space Launch System (SLS), the challenge of ensuring crew safety will gain additional focus. Without an uncrewed test flight, a modification to the Exploration Mission -1 (EM-1) profile is likely, ranging from documented options such as a hybrid profile through to an ISS crew run.
                                https://www.nasaspaceflight.com/2017...maiden-flight/

As much as I would love to see this happen, I doubt it's feasible unless NASA either gets a major budget increase, or becomes willing to implement another multi-year delay on the SLS/Orion maiden flight.

Comment

Working...
                                X