Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15,000 scientists give catastrophic warning about the fate of the world

http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...-a8052481.html

"Soon it will be too late to shift course away from our failing trajectory, and time is running out," the letter warns. "We must recognize, in our day-to-day lives and in our governing institutions, that Earth with all its life is our only home."
    Prof Ripple said: "Those who signed this second warning aren't just raising a false alarm. They are acknowledging the obvious signs that we are heading down an unsustainable path.
    "We are hoping that our paper will ignite a widespread public debate about the global environment and climate."
    Progress had been made in some areas - such as cutting ozone-depleting chemicals, and increasing energy generated from renewable sources - but this was far outweighed by the damaging trends, said the scientists.
    They pointed out that in the past 25 years:
    • The amount of fresh water available per head of population worldwide has reduced by 26%.
    • The number of ocean "dead zones" - places where little can live because of pollution and oxygen starvation - has increased by 75%.
    • Nearly 300 million acres of forest have been lost, mostly to make way for agricultural land.
    • Global carbon emissions and average temperatures have shown continued significant increases.
    • Human population has risen by 35%.
    • Collectively the number of mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds and fish in the world has fallen by 29%.
    Second warning, first one in 1992
    25 years later things have worsened
    They couldn't worsen too much, we are close to the breaking point
    People couldn't say they weren't warned

I, i am sorry, but humans being selfish jerks can tell you that nothing will change in the next 20 years (just waiting some usual answers of the usual suspect to confirm it)
    So i hope that everybody enjoys its "The Road", "No Blade of Grass" or "Soylent Green" personal episode in the incoming decades

• commanding
    replied
    Originally posted by primer View Post
    Tried to read it but got distracted by this

http://www.statesman.com/news/nation...wu8xON3IvzGcI/

Bacteria found on International Space Station not of this world, cosmonaut says

Explain that one!
    Is it a parody website??? What the hell.??

Leave a comment:

• primer
    replied
    Tried to read it but got distracted by this

http://www.statesman.com/news/nation...wu8xON3IvzGcI/

Bacteria found on International Space Station not of this world, cosmonaut says

Explain that one!

Leave a comment:

• commanding
    replied
    here is a news article that goes with this crazy thread......http://www.statesman.com/entertainme...f4F1aRpHE8cNM/

Flat earth proponent Rapper B.o.B. of Atlanta Georgia now questions if Slavery REALLY HAPPENED in the USA.

Seriously? a black rapper from Georgia, who is a flat earth believer, questions if slavery happened in the USA. okay dokie. you can't make this stuff up.

We need to get B.o.B. together with Mord.

Leave a comment:

• primer
    replied
    "The Greenland Vikings lived mostly on dairy produce and meat, primarily from cows. The vegetable diet of Greenlanders included berries, edible grasses, and seaweed, but these were inadequate even during the best harvests. During the MWP, Greenland's climate was so cold that cattle breeding and dairy farming could only be carried on in the sheltered fiords. The growing season in Greenland even then was very short. Frost typically occurred in August and the fiords froze in October. Before the year 1300, ships regularly sailed from Norway and other European countries to Greenland bringing with them timber, iron, corn, salt, and other needed items. Trade was by barter. Greenlanders offered butter, cheese, wool, and their frieze cloths, which were greatly sough after in Europe, as well as white and blue fox furs, polar bear skins, walrus and narwhal tusks, and walrus skins. In fact, two Greenland items in particular were prized by Europeans: white bears and the white falcon. These items were given as royal gifts. For instance, the King of Norway-Denmark sent a number of Greenland falcons as a gift to the King of Portugal, and received in return the gift of a cargo of wine (Stefansson, 1966.) Because of the shortage of adequate vegetables and cereal grains, and a shortage of timber to make ships, the trade link to Iceland and Europe was vital (Hermann, 1954.) "

Buy Greenland

Leave a comment:

• blackcatnursery
    replied
    Originally posted by primer View Post
    you would need a big oven for Xmas

Leave a comment:

• commanding
    replied
    more anti "the sky is falling" via global warming....from the bastion of Scientific publishing.....The Daily Caller

http://dailycaller.com/2017/11/25/af...ng-apocalypse/

.................. warning that the world is on the verge of a global warming “apocalypse” that will flood coastal cities, tear up roads and bridges with mega-storms and bring widespread famine and misery to much of the world. The only solution, they say, is to rid the world of fossil fuels — coal, natural gas and oil — that serve as the pillars of modern society. Only quick, decisive global action can avert the worst effects of manmade climate change, warn international bodies like the United Nations, who say we only have decades left — or even less

Leave a comment:

• primer
    replied
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Haast%...ealand_moa.jpg

The species was the largest eagle known to have existed. Its massive size is explained as an evolutionary response to the size of its prey, the flightless moa, the largest of which could weigh 230 kg (510 lb). Haast's eagle became extinct around 1400, after the moa were hunted to extinction by the first Māori.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moa

The tallest bird ever however was the giant moa(Dinornis maximus), part of the moa family of New Zealand that went extinct around 1500 CE. This particular species of moa stood up to 3.7 m (12 ft) tall,but weighed about half as much as a large elephant bird or mihirung due to its comparatively slender frame.
    Interesting animals are now gone

Leave a comment:

• commanding
    replied
    Another article supporting Mordoror's and the other 15,000 scientists, about the effect of modern man on our planet...the EXTINCTION of an animal.
    the Steller's Sea Cow....

https://www.atlasobscura.com/article...islands-bering

Among the many new species—including sea otters and hoary mugwort—that Steller skillfully documented on the journey was a massive sirenian (related to dugongs and manatees) that became known as Steller’s sea cow, or Hydrodamalis gigas. The massive aquatic mammal—between 5 and 10 tons in weight and up to 30 feet in length, with the face of a walrus and the tail of a dolphin—had once ranged across the North Pacific but was by then relegated to a relic population in the Commander Islands kelp beds. Steller was the first and last scientist to document the slow-moving sea creature—they were hunted to extinction less than three decades later.
    a skeleton of the extinct Steller's Sea Cow, found on a Russian Island.....the Steller's sea cow was first described in 1741 and was extinct 30 years later.
    so the modern/techno savy folks of the 1750s managed to drive the entire species to extinction. Here I thought it was just us in the last 50 years.
    another link to same story diff source.....
    http://metro.co.uk/2017/11/17/remain...sland-7088423/

maybe all the electric lights that killed them?

Leave a comment:

• primer
    replied
    UK announced its increasing tax on its new sales of non green cars. Its an unstoppable force now in developed countries.

One thing to add the Polar bears ice will go even at proposed levels. No one says that . Its like it'll be saved.

Leave a comment:

• commanding
    replied
    Boy.....i post a link to an article that agrees with mordorors stance on rolling back technology and pollution, and he blows a gasket!
    next time i will attack his position and see what happens.
    BTW Mord....the word is "nonsense" ......not "none senses" (no matter how it evolved)

Leave a comment:

• Mordoror
    replied
    Originally posted by gaz View Post

I actually live in a place where in order to save money, the county council turn the majority of street lights off at midnight and then turn them back on at (I think) 5am in time for people driving to work - they just leave on the ones on main roads and near hospitals and stuff.

As someone with a distincly amateur interest in astronomy it's brilliant - becomes so much easier to see things once all the light pollution goes.
    I never understood the need to keep all stores lights switched on even when closed to begin with
    I can understand why people would want their street lights on and still it is not proven that it reduces street crime or road accidents at least not everywhere and not all the time but at least it gives a feeling of safety so it's OK for me

https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/26401542
    This study found little evidence of harmful effects of switch-off, part-night lighting, dimming or changes to white light/LEDs on levels of road traffic collisions or crime in England and Wales
    As somebody a bit interested in Astronomy too or at least leisuring and relaxing/enjoying Milky Way and shooting stars watching (it is really relaxing) i approve your last sentence

Leave a comment:

• gaz
    replied
    Originally posted by commanding View Post

and in keeping with the wishes of Mordoror and the 15,001 scientists.....in order to quell the march of western progress, we should maybe turn off all the artificial lights that are destroying our planet and embrace a lifestyle (or religion if you wish) that relegates us to the 5th century..
    as addressed in this "too much light on earth" article......
    I actually live in a place where in order to save money, the county council turn the majority of street lights off at midnight and then turn them back on at (I think) 5am in time for people driving to work - they just leave on the ones on main roads and near hospitals and stuff.

As someone with a distincly amateur interest in astronomy it's brilliant - becomes so much easier to see things once all the light pollution goes.

Leave a comment:

• Mordoror
    replied
    Oh look, another jab from commanding on a subject he is mocking while all medical authorities point out that it is an important issue.

Just for the sake of discussion : light pollution is indeed detrimental to our physical and mental health : https://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pmc/articles/PMC2627884/

It has a huge impact on wildlife too (migratory birds losing orientation because moon light is faded by artificial light, reproduction periods shifted because depending of light which is now permanent, concentration of light attracted pests etc)

But sure turning out stores/malls lights still on at midnight when there is nobody anymore in them is a religion that relegates us to the 5th century.

Guys can't you stop to quote his none senses ? Thanks

Leave a comment:

• picanha
    replied
    [QUOTE=commanding;n305598]

and in keeping with the wishes of Mordoror and the 15,001 scientists.....in order to quell the march of western progress, we should maybe turn off all the artificial lights that are destroying our planet and embrace a lifestyle (or religion if you wish) that relegates us to the 5th century..
    as addressed in this "too much light on earth" article......

http://www.latimes.com/science/scien...122-story.html

Artificial lights are eating away at dark nights — and that's not a good thing
    E
    arth is losing its darkness. A new study using satellite data finds that artificially lit surfaces around the world are spreading and growing brighter, producing more light pollution at night. The findings, described in the journal Science Advances, track what researchers called a worrisome trend that has implications for the environment as well as human health.
    [ /QUOTE]

Filler article.

That’s why working against our biological day-night clocks (for example, as night-shift workers must) can result in many kinds of issues, from depression-like symptoms to obesity and diabetes.

Again like with all these childish demands or problems.

Take personal responsibility:

In case of a nocturnal emergency of the author he will be brought to hospital in a horse-carriage and will be treated by the just awoken surgeon under a candle light.

These kind of articles are not helpul in any way and just state the obvious.

As a human you can also close your blinds as you please.
    And insects and seem to love lights at night!

I also like to sleep in teh darknmess but there are people who can sleep with light.

I once had an apartment without shades: I bought thick lightproof curtains - it was so much brighter than my previous apartment with the shades it took me several months to not wake up at dawn EVERY DAY.

Oh and then when I was in a hospital, which was an old 19th century building with large windows (see below) and no shades and a lamppost in front of the window...no sleep for me there neither

Leave a comment:

Working...
X