No announcement yet.

15,000 scientists give catastrophic warning about the fate of the world

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Water is aproblem. Though it is difficult to quantify, as it is setup of many different "kinds" of water.

An oftenly used estimate is the renewable water resources though I don't hold much of it. Ongoing pollution will make a big part unusable if nothing changes.

Especially the developing world has to step up water protection and environmental laws to avoid future problems. Countries like China have relatively little water ressources for the huge

populations.

Worl wide hydrogeological mapping

http://www-naweb.iaea.org/napc/ih/do...truckmeier.pdf

I was in South Africa recently, the hotel removed the plugs from the bath tubs to save water. You are greeted by a big sign at the Capetown airport pointing out the severe drought.

In Europe I think it is quite ok because there are relative large ground water reservoirs and a functioning sewage management. If you look how it was in the 50s and 60s - took a sip out of the Rhine and you died..

So it is doable. Someone has to forego profits though.

It is also a reason why China can produce so cheaply : No environmental standrsds to follow.

Will bite you in the ass at some point.

Unsustainable population increases do the rest.

A complete rethinking must take place. Even today the absorbtion of dioxine through food exceeds health recommendations.

We have to find new creative ways of keeping a standard of living AND protect nature and ressources. Human beings will never give up standards they got used to voluntarily.

They can shop as much eco as they want, in the end they still consume and pollute too much. But who will turn the heating / aircon down? Take the bike look for goods not producing too much stress on nature?

We are all bound and constrained by daily chores. It can't be expected from single beings to save the world.
    Last edited by picanha; 14-11-2017, 04:29 AM.

Comment

Um, I don’t think the OP was anticipating serious responses to this thread. It was just supposed to be a slight at hard working honest women. Shame on him.

/thread

Comment

Mordoror ,
        okay I am ready to address the points in the scientists warnings story. (Mostly it is distraction and whining)

1. The amount of fresh water available per head of population worldwide has reduced by 26%

2. The number of ocean "dead zones" - places where little can live because of pollution and oxygen starvation - has increased by 75%.

3. Nearly 300 million acres of forest have been lost, mostly to make way for agricultural land.

4. Global carbon emissions and average temperatures have shown continued significant increases.

5. Human population has risen by 35%.

6. Collectively the number of mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds and fish in the world has fallen by 29%.

************************************************** ************************************************** **********
        number 1. yeah water is a huge problem, one of the biggest IMO....I am all for clean water. So what do we do, we crap in pipes and wash it away with clean drinkable water into waterways others will use for their drinkable water. Who is working on this problem, what SCIENTIST I mean? It sure isn't Bill Gates the holy man of technology. source:

http://money.cnn.com/2017/11/13/tech...ona/index.html Gates is "investing" 80 million dollars to build a "smart city" in the middle of the Arizona desert! What an idiot he is, and 80 million dollars is NOTHING. I have drawn buildings that cost 80 million, a single freaking building. He sure isn't going to build a smart city for 80 million. He must be thinking 1968 dollars? why would anyone want to build a city from scratch in the middle of the desert in America? Where will the water come from? Why didn't he buy land in Vermont, or Detroit? Why Arizona? because DESERT land is CHEAP there.
        number 2.... number of ocean "dead zones" - places where little can live because of pollution and oxygen starvation - has increased by 75%.
        I have no idea if true or not, don't know, don't care.
        number 3. Nearly 300 million acres of forest have been lost, mostly to make way for agricultural land.
        Well on this one, I am doing my part. With my own money, I "invested" and bought 80 acres of America that is heavily forested and near pre-Columbian in nature, full of wildlife, wild native woods/trees, shrub, grasses, waterways and etc. I have not cut down any timber nor will I allow any to be cut down and I was regularly picking up all the trash, beer bottles, plastic and crap the locals had thrown on the roadsides ....at least up to my stroke 3 1/2 yrs ago. So I am preserving my part, to the best of my small ability.
        number 4. Global carbon emissions and average temperatures have shown continued significant increases.
        this one, partly is not 100% proven connection between the two....but I have reduced my driving, to maybe 200 miles per year, which is very low considering my location in the spread out state/nation of Texas where the population and distances are much farther than anyone in Europe is used to, or can understand, unless you live on the steppe plains of Russia. So my carbon footprint in my last years of life, is EXTREMELY small.
        number 5, Human population has risen by 35%. Don't know if that is accurate or not. All I know is our family has cut the population in half, 50%.....Mrs C and I have had one child in 70 years. therefore -50% not +35% so again, case closed in our personal experiences. Additionally....if the long predicted nuclear war does happen, and Oppenheimer thought it would....then the hand wringing concerning overpopulation will be a non issue once that happens.

number 6. Collectively the number of mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds and fish in the world has fallen by 29%

again not sure if that is accurate.....if so why? need the reasons before we can even discuss. If it is pollution...then the answer options are few....either have fewer humans, or severe and likely unenforceable rules....i.e. who is going to force the Chinese or the Syrians, or Russians to abide by some international mandates on pollution??? No one.
        end of this segment.

Comment

Best thing that could happen to this planet and the animals is if humans went extinct. Particularly the Nazis. FACT!

Comment

Originally posted by riderboy View Post
            Best thing that could happen to this planet and the animals is if humans went extinct.
            For once we agree...
            It will eventually solve by itself in the incoming decades

Comment

You never hear wimper about when the fertilizer runs out. Forget the 10 ton rock from space thats over due.
              But that doesn't have a billion $ carbon credit market attached to it.

How does the world bank / IMF sit with this.

Developed countries should stop growing while their darlings keep producing under their personal clouds of smog. Hell they even need more people with dwindling fertility rates in China and fuck these old people just aren't dying
              https://blogs.imf.org/2017/05/01/cha...f-asias-aging/
              Last edited by primer; 14-11-2017, 09:09 AM.

Comment

Perhaps instead of spending time researching nothing and publishing this sort of tripe every 25 years start to do some real science and work out a solution for the problems they think are an issue

As I have always said one big volcano - one big rock - one nasty virus etc.and balance will be returned

Comment

Originally posted by blackcatnursery View Post
                  Perhaps instead of spending time researching nothing and publishing this sort of tripe every 25 years start to do some real science and work out a solution for the problems they think are an issue

As I have always said one big volcano - one big rock - one nasty virus etc.and balance will be returned
                  I am interested to know what you mean by nothing. It's always rich when i read such kind of sentence because history has shown enough examples that you can't say what may or may not be usefull when doing science. But most people are so brainwashed with applied science that they forgot that applied science is a direct offset of fundamental science no matter the field
                  examples : laser, NMR, spintronic, densitometry..... Hell even understanding of fundamental mechanism of the forces of the universe have application but only nowaday (gravity, electromagnetism, electricity)
                  Maybe Newton or Edisson research was nothing applied back then, see how it is usefull today

Beside that, as the things are worsening and nobody is listening of course that tripe will be published again and again . But yes, they are speaking in vacuum as people prefere to believe idiotic TV shows and watch their little bellybutton rather than understand global implications of their deeds or the choice of their politicians.

As for solutions they are proposing several but maybe you should read the original article to get their proposal

As for your last sentence, one big volcano wouldn't be enough. You need several of them at once or a grouped Caldera
                  One nasty virus will never be enough unless geneticaly engineered. any given natural diseas will leave around 5-10% of survivors even if it is the nastiest thing you may think off. Given that we are already 7 billions it's more than enough to be back at business as usual in a few decades
                  One big rock, provided it is a planetary killer, yes, it will settle the score

The best solution is depletion of the population and we are achieving it very well alone : chemical pollution of the environment leads both to increased infertility both masculine and feminine and decreasing of overall IQ. The question is what will win first : idiocracy or annihilation of the biosphere

Comment

My body is ready, when is this party going to officially start?

Comment

Originally posted by blackcatnursery View Post

^^^^^true that.....if the volcano under Yosemite park blows.....bye bye much of the USA.
                      Or the big rock from outer space, hits the oceans somewhere, or even the land........of that good old black plague from the islands off east coast of Africa slips into the western world on airplanes full of carrier hosts.....someone may need to turn the lights out.
                      The rats and roaches will feast and the maggots will rule.

Comment

Mordoror @commanding

I was going to mention Yosemite which would end the USA and possibly the rest of the world - the one in Iceland I can never remember the name of would also cause huge difficulties for europe

It looks that if the planet is going to be saved we need to move somewhere else or a lot of people are going to have to die at some stage

Comment

Looks like a great idea.....
                          Injecting aerosols into the atmosphere in the Northern Hemisphere would be disastrous for parts of Africa, scientists say.

Comment

There are 15,000 scientists working on climate change?

Comment

Originally posted by LAworkerbee View Post

Yes, in an undersea cave, built by James Bond villains Goldfinger and Oddjob......the underwater cave is off the coast of Cuba in an extinct volcano.

Comment

Originally posted by LAworkerbee View Post

400 of them disagree....< pulls pin from grenade >

Delingpole: Now 400 Scientific Papers in 2017 Say ‘Global Warming’ Is a Myth
                                http://www.breitbart.com/big-governm...ing-is-a-myth/

Comment

Working...
                                X