Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 15,000 scientists give catastrophic warning about the fate of the world

http://www.independent.co.uk/environ...-a8052481.html

"Soon it will be too late to shift course away from our failing trajectory, and time is running out," the letter warns. "We must recognize, in our day-to-day lives and in our governing institutions, that Earth with all its life is our only home."
    Prof Ripple said: "Those who signed this second warning aren't just raising a false alarm. They are acknowledging the obvious signs that we are heading down an unsustainable path.
    "We are hoping that our paper will ignite a widespread public debate about the global environment and climate."
    Progress had been made in some areas - such as cutting ozone-depleting chemicals, and increasing energy generated from renewable sources - but this was far outweighed by the damaging trends, said the scientists.
    They pointed out that in the past 25 years:
    • The amount of fresh water available per head of population worldwide has reduced by 26%.
    • The number of ocean "dead zones" - places where little can live because of pollution and oxygen starvation - has increased by 75%.
    • Nearly 300 million acres of forest have been lost, mostly to make way for agricultural land.
    • Global carbon emissions and average temperatures have shown continued significant increases.
    • Human population has risen by 35%.
    • Collectively the number of mammals, reptiles, amphibians, birds and fish in the world has fallen by 29%.
    Second warning, first one in 1992
    25 years later things have worsened
    They couldn't worsen too much, we are close to the breaking point
    People couldn't say they weren't warned

I, i am sorry, but humans being selfish jerks can tell you that nothing will change in the next 20 years (just waiting some usual answers of the usual suspect to confirm it)
    So i hope that everybody enjoys its "The Road", "No Blade of Grass" or "Soylent Green" personal episode in the incoming decades

I bet that 15,000 soldiers could sign a decree that states that civilians are stupid fucked up jack asses and no one would give a fuck about that either just like this worthless piece of news

Comment

Originally posted by breki View Post
      I bet that 15,000 soldiers could sign a decree that states that civilians are stupid fucked up jack asses and no one would give a fuck about that either just like this worthless piece of news
      Your comparison makes no sense but falls exactly in what i was describing as "usual suspects answers"
      As i said, enjoy your slow dying

Comment

Originally posted by Mordoror View Post

Your comparison makes no sense but falls exactly in what i was describing as "usual suspects answers"
        As i said, enjoy your slow dying
        I plan to die quickly, in a shootout on your front lawn. But not before I take you with me, motherfucker.

This article is crap. I heard the story yesterday. None of the signatories to this letter are noted reputable scientists. They are are a bunch of crackpots who specialize in areas outside of this area of expertise. Fake news is fake news. Go get a job at cnn

Comment

I waiting for the Alien invasion fight for humanity and earth, and die for a noble cause.

Comment

breki

i also saw the story earlier....and immediately thought of Mordoror and his hard on for science. I will wait to reply until tuesday here....as tis 0300 hours now and on tablet.

Comment

I plan to die quickly, in a shootout on your front lawn. But not before I take you with me, motherfucker.

This article is crap. I heard the story yesterday. None of the signatories to this letter are noted reputable scientists. They are are a bunch of crackpots who specialize in areas outside of this area of expertise. Fake news is fake news. Go get a job at cnn
              I am sure you took the time to check the list of signatures and check the credential of each of them
              I am also sure you are well versed to say who is reputable and who is not
              And finally i am sure you understand what "this area of expertise" is [/sarcasm]

Just a few of the "crackpots" :

Allen, Larry G.
              Chair and Professor of Biology
              California State University Northridge
              United States of America (the)

Alpert, Peter
              Professor of Biology
              University of Massachusetts ‐ Amherst

Brauman, Alain
              Senior Scientist in soil Ecology
              Institut de recherche pour le Developement (IRD)
              France

Mulder, Christa
              Professor of Ecology
              University of Alaska Fairbanks

Mull, John
              Professor of Zoology
              Weber State University

Muñoz, Isabel
              Professor in Ecology
              University of Barcelona
              Spain

In short see my post 3

Comment

I don’t think you took the time to check the list of signatories and vet their creds. If you did, you would know that 37% of them gave been convicted of criminal offenses. Of those, 48% were for possession of narcotics more serious than marijuana and a remarkable 12% were convicted of sexual offences against children.

Who are your heroes now?

Comment

Denial is strong...

While all deniers keep dancing and singing on the volcano, I'm gonna pack my guns'n'ammo and do like preppers do : Prepare my "I told you so" pamphlet.

BRB, gone making billboards saying "WARNING : Landmines. Landmines everywhere !" for my defunct powerplant property.
                  And a biker jacket.
                  And a base-ball bat with barbwire.
                  *whistling in the sunset*

Comment

Originally posted by TG0211 View Post
                    Denial is strong...

While all deniers keep dancing and singing on the volcano, I'm gonna pack my guns'n'ammo and do like preppers do : Prepare my "I told you so" pamphlet.

BRB, gone making billboards saying "WARNING : Landmines. Landmines everywhere !" for my defunct powerplant property.
                    And a biker jacket.
                    And a base-ball bat with barbwire.
                    *whistling in the sunset*
                    you forgot Pamela Anderson!!!

Comment

What good is your I Told You So pamphlet if we are all going to die? No one would be left alive to read it, in this case.

See? Even you doubt your own theory

Comment

What good is your I Told You So pamphlet if we are all going to die? No one would be left alive to read it, in this case.

See? Even you doubt your own theory
                        Come on Breki, you exactly know what good is the "Told you so"
                        It's exactly when you have a very stupid pal that does stupid things like throwing himself of the third floor, trying a skate triple loop, trying to hit THAT girl or trying to drink that booze
                        After having witnessed his personal crash, we, all of us, have that pinch of joy to say : "i told you so". Because we are jerks

In all seriousness the point is not that we all gonna die (that's granted for all of us) but if we will die peacefully or painfully
                        If dying in an ocean of garbage, toxic fumes, food/water shortage, massive wars for energy and viable lands, with mass migrations of developping countries hobos coming on your lawn to shit on it and with the only landscape left through your window being a polluted concrete jungle is your idea of a peacefull death, sure the pamphlet shouldn't worry you much

Remember just Soylent Green. Maybe we will have nice movies about how the planet was beautiful before shown to us on your laying beds just befoare being processed into high carbon high energy crackers

Comment

Blah blah blah

My country has the third largest oil reserves in the world and one fifth of the earths fresh water

We all good

Comment

Blah blah blah

My country has the third largest oil reserves in the world and one fifth of the earths fresh water

We all good
                            and lotta Polar Bears I assumed.

Comment

Blah blah blah

We all good
                              I honestly think you should move to the US. Texas maybe?

Comment

Working...
                              X