Robotics and Automation

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Robotics and Automation

We have general artificial intelligence and technology threads but I thought since robots are going to replace us we needed a robotics specific thread to help us understand our new masters. Here are some short articles from the Robot Report to get it going.

Robotics industry growing faster than expected

Two reputable research resources are reporting that the robotics industry is growing more rapidly than expected. BCG (Boston Consulting Group) is conservatively projecting that the market will reach $87 billion by 2025; Tractica, incorporating the robotic and AI elements of the emerging self-driving industry, is forecasting the market will reach $237 billion by 2022.
    https://www.therobotreport.com/robot...than-expected/

The agricultural labor conundrum

Instead of worrying so much about robots taking away jobs, maybe we should worry more about wages being too low for robots to even get a chance.
    https://www.therobotreport.com/the-a...bor-conundrum/

Japan company testing robots to counter childcare shortage

Japan is in the throes of a childcare crisis as more mothers go to work, childcare staff are overworked and facility waitlists skyrocket. One child- and elderly-care company is testing out robots as a way to fill the gaps.
    https://www.therobotreport.com/japan...care-shortage/

Last edited by RobertKLR; 24-09-2017, 08:53 AM.

DOT updates driverless vehicle guidelines

This week, Transportation Secretary Elaine Chao announced updated safety guidelines for driverless vehicles while visiting a testing facility in Ann Arbor, Mich.
    https://www.therobotreport.com/dot-u...le-guidelines/

Researchers complete automated crop plant and harvest

A team from Harper Adams University and agricultural solutions company Precision Decisions successfully planted, tended and harvested a crop of barley using only autonomous machines, a project they called Hands Free Hectare.
    https://www.therobotreport.com/resea...plant-harvest/

Comment

Isaac Asimov’s 3 laws of A.I. – updated

In an OpEd piece in the NY Times, and in a TED Talk late last year, Oren Etzioni, PhD, author, and CEO of the Allen Institute for Artificial Intelligence, suggested an update for Isaac Asimov’s three laws of Artificial Intelligence. Given the widespread media attention emanating from Elon Musk’s (and others) warnings, these updates might be worth reviewing.
      https://www.therobotreport.com/isaac...-laws-updated/

Magnus, Robot Fighter

In every incarnation, Magnus is a human who battles rogue robots in the year 4000, though some aspects of the concept have varied with each publisher.
      https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Magnus,_Robot_Fighter

Magnus Robot Fighter - Origin Pt 1- Welcome to North Am Man-Child

Last edited by RobertKLR; 24-09-2017, 09:33 AM.

Comment

in DK the UR-Robots have changed the Workplace, in such a Degree, that you almost are tripping over a robot when you visit a production site, it a attempt to
        bring back production from China, the upside is that robots work 24\7-365, but we are in the progress, off hording wealth from people who needs the jobs in poorer
        countrys, which is why, we see the world are going to hell.... and also the mass emigration that we see now..

Comment

Originally posted by Scarren View Post
          in DK the UR-Robots have changed the Workplace, in such a Degree, that you almost are tripping over a robot when you visit a production site, it a attempt to
          bring back production from China, the upside is that robots work 24\7-365, but we are in the progress, off hording wealth from people who needs the jobs in poorer
          countrys, which is why, we see the world are going to hell.... and also the mass emigration that we see now..
          Yes, displacing workers with automation is a problem. I keep telling younger people they need technical skills in process automation. The local technical college is pushing hard for more students to move into that area of education.

Comment

in 10 years, and i really belives its only 5 years, there will be no Cab or Truck drivers left, even pilots are in the danger zone. just imagine how many people will be laid off, Gardening will be next, all automated.. in DK we are researching automated abattoir and they are crippy close..

What we are seeing now, is the Disruption, of the The World, and no one knows where it ends.
            Last edited by Scarren; 25-09-2017, 10:07 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertKLR View Post

Yes, displacing workers with automation is a problem. I keep telling younger people they need technical skills in process automation. The local technical college is pushing hard for more students to move into that area of education.
              Haha, bitches! That's why I'm an electrical engineer.

But industrial automation does not necessarily replace jobs, but rather makes the operator's job easier and more productive. Unions are also standing in the way of progress. For instance, on all the sites I've been on, the forklift operators have always been human. That is something that absolutely could be automated, but the unions won't allow it.

Comment

Not a big fan of dogs , or pets in general, but I would like one of these ......

https://youtu.be/tf7IEVTDjng

Comment

Originally posted by Scarren View Post
                  in 10 years, and i really belives its only 5 years, there will be no Cab or Truck drivers left, even pilots are in the danger zone. just imagine how many people will be laid off, Gardening will be next, all automated.. in DK we are researching automated abattoir and they are crippy close..

What we are seeing now, is the Disruption, of the The World, and no one knows where it ends.
                  Yamaha is building their next generation of motorcycle customers ... they'll build a robot, send it out to get a job and soon it will buy a motorcycle. If it has any problems it will go see Dr Spartan 10K who will prescribe a software update and a shot of Rotella.

Comment

It does not compute. Danger Will Robinson...danger, danger. I detect 1%

Robots - If these reduce cost of labour and same time cause unemployment or under employ... people go to lower wage work doing burgers instead of manufacture which can be the highest returning sector of an economy.. they have created round 2 of deflation. The economy has shrunk.
                    We are living in round 1 outsourcing which caused growth in SE Asia and skull shrinking growth in the countries that outsourced.
                    It is evident now with pathetic low growth rates that have only been sustained out of unsuccessful monetary easing and borrowing into existence rubbish things that have low productivity. Currently the borrowing has no further to go.

Currently the interest rates can barely go any lower. The borrowings or ability to pay down the bond principle or interest only that countries like China lent back too to keep their factories chugging along is dependent on higher GDP growth rates or perpetual debt occurs.

Automated factories won't help the boarder economy they mostly create a net surplus for the company.
                    Automated Taiwan chip maker setting up billion dollar factory will pay some taxes to the US while it expatriated profits but if its not employing many the wages don't benefit the US.
                    Still I this is better for the US but nothing for the Taiwanese who just went unemployed that the world bank was expecting to buy stuff from the EU so it could have world growth.

Fact is wages are people with money who are consumers to buy things. Without them the economy fails.

Silicon valley realises this and govt can tax them and pay people not to work or retirement funds buy their shares. The welfare money or dividends can pay for their products, keeping their factories chugging along and profits up.

Of course this is all basic stuff but why do we still persist with it.

....maybe I could be ok at sex therapist and pet walking as my back up job. Bugger going up a wind generator in the North Sea because the robot refuses to climb after calculating its too risky.
                    Last edited by primer; 25-09-2017, 06:12 PM.

Comment

All this talks about robots replacing Pilots dont know what they are talking about. Will there be less pilot in the cockpit? Yes. Will pilots be totally replaced? I dont think so. Right now with fly by wire and automated landing systems most of the flight is automated. However, when a fire alarm goes off only a human would figure out that its because it was a dumbass spraying too much air freshner in the lavatory that the sensors picked up as smoke.

Same thing when all the guided landing system goes down and the plane is not going the way it was intended, it is up to the Pilot to take charge and use his skill to bring down the plane.

Lots of things can and do go wrong in the air that takes a human to decide based on his perception of what is happening and how to better manage the aircraft. The future flight for me is more like what you would see in the scifi shows like The Expanse where the aircraft and pilot converse and interact with each other.

As I would always explain to other pilots the difference between flying an Airbus and a Cessna is like riding a horse or a car... Cessna's you drive to where you want it to go, in an Airbus, you tell it where you want to go and it rides there the way it see's fit. Boeing's are just retarded horses... it will go where you want it to go, even if it's the end of the cliff

Comment

Originally posted by Junglejim View Post
                        Lots of things can and do go wrong in the air that takes a human to decide based on his perception of what is happening and how to better manage the aircraft. The future flight for me is more like what you would see in the scifi shows like The Expanse where the aircraft and pilot converse and interact with each other.
                        So instead of two pilots you could have one and for cargo planes perhaps none even if only on specific routes.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose View Post

So instead of two pilots you could have one and for cargo planes perhaps none even if only on specific routes.
                          If not for the fact that the reason why Cargo Pilots get paid more than Airline Pilots is mainly due to the cargo load being more valuable than people usually. I agree though that it would be down to one pilot and in some lesser cargo routes an automated one with a ground control since systems and signals can be hacked.

Comment

Originally posted by primer View Post
                            It does not compute. Danger Will Robinson...danger, danger. I detect 1%

Robots - If these reduce cost of labour and same time cause unemployment or under employ... people go to lower wage work doing burgers ......
                            Damn the luck ...

Burger-flipping robot replaces humans on first day at work
                            http://www.telegraph.co.uk/technolog...irst-day-work/

Comment

Almost 4 yrs ago I had a stroke. I am not debilitated by it, I recovered but many don't so this is something I can relate to.

brain-controlled devices helping people regain movement ....

While we are moving toward less invasive methods like electrode-filled caps on the head, there are still more invasive implants that are benefiting those who suffered from a stroke or a serious spinal cord injury.

http://www.therobotreport.com/6-brai...gain-movement/

Comment

Working...
                              X