Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

For Opposing Red Light Cameras Man Fined $500 for Practicing Engineering W/O License

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • #16
    Interesting. These red light cameras are often operated by private companies who takes most of the revenues, crooked as a dog's leg. Needless to say, it's not for your 'safety' but for covering big govnt deficits.

    Comment


    • #17
      Originally posted by gaz View Post


      I've seen pictures of his yard and it looks like jesus used Agent Orange on it. He should fire jesus.
      That was me thinking I could be like jesus.

      I actually think he could have saved the situation.

      Comment


      • #18
        Originally posted by LAworkerbee View Post

        That was me thinking I could be like jesus.

        I actually think he could have saved the situation.
        If it's any consolation, a wild looking yard and house is less likely to be intruded upon. I live across the street from a gay couple and a retired old woman. They have immaculate yards and only they have had their homes broken into. The old bag once complained about the condition of my yard, with liberal use of shaming language. She was shortly robbed again. That should teach superficial busy bodies to mind their own business.

        Comment


        • #19
          It so comforts me to know that other governments are retarded, too.

          Comment


          • #20
            Originally posted by Hadamar View Post

            If it's any consolation, a wild looking yard and house is less likely to be intruded upon. I live across the street from a gay couple and a retired old woman. They have immaculate yards and only they have had their homes broken into. The old bag once complained about the condition of my yard, with liberal use of shaming language. She was shortly robbed again. That should teach superficial busy bodies to mind their own business.

            Not wild looking, more like Aleppo.

            Comment


            • #21
              ^ Now the thieving scum knows where to go to next --- after all you're likely to receive a big fat settlement check from Volkswagen in the near future.

              Comment


              • #22
                Originally posted by TheKiwi View Post

                https://www.theregister.co.uk/2017/0...ng_about_math/

                http://reason.com/blog/2017/04/26/af...t-cameras-oreg

                Hmmm lets see.

                Degree in Electrical Engineering - check
                Actual experience - check
                Capable of performing basic mathematics on states revenue grab - check

                Yep, that sounds like he should be fined. And banned from performing mathematics in the state of Oregon.



                I agree with speed cameras and unmarked cars and other 'nefarious' means of catching naughty motorists. IMO drivers in my city are far too aggressive and fast: speeding, tailgating, cutting off, dangerous passes and frankly not respecting the conditions. And other countries I've been in are worse. For that reason the roads do need to be watched: you can't trust people to police themselves.

                But....when the govt does it as a blatant means of revenue-raising and everyone cottons on, then people forget why there are speed cameras and traffic stops and lose respect for the spirit of the law in the first place. They get it in their heads (or make the excuse) that its not about safety and all about squeezing money out of motorists, and become determined not to be better drivers.

                By going after this guy for exposing their own skulduggery, the State of Oregon undermines its own chances of improving road safety. They've just told everyone they're looking out for themselves and not the public good.

                Comment


                • #23
                  It's all about revenue gathering here too - no matter what layers of sanctimonious tut tutting they put on top of it. There is a place not far from my house where there is regularly a camera as it is a "high crash rate" zone. Why? Because the council refuses to cut down four trees that prevent people approaching a corner from seeing that there are traffic lights immediately around said corner, nor how much traffic is waiting there. Speed cameras at the bottom of hills, random changes in speed limits, and various other types of behaviour that remind citizens that their police force regards them as a method of reaching their quota of fines.

                  Comment


                  • #24
                    Originally posted by TheKiwi View Post
                    It's all about revenue gathering here too - no matter what layers of sanctimonious tut tutting they put on top of it. There is a place not far from my house where there is regularly a camera as it is a "high crash rate" zone. Why? Because the council refuses to cut down four trees that prevent people approaching a corner from seeing that there are traffic lights immediately around said corner, nor how much traffic is waiting there. Speed cameras at the bottom of hills, random changes in speed limits, and various other types of behaviour that remind citizens that their police force regards them as a method of reaching their quota of fines.

                    People are still driving like A$$holes, but it's shenanigans like that from the authorities that encourages them to keep pushing the limits. They don't see the law as valid because the govt itself is seen as abusing it.

                    Comment


                    • #25
                      Speaking as someone with ten years of government service, government services are full of self serving assholes. Which is exactly why this kind of behaviour happens. For $20 and free rope I'd happily see half the staff at my local council dance the hemp fandango from a lamp-post.

                      Comment


                      • #26
                        I met with some public servants a few weeks back. The government system is basically they have rules in the way that stop them doing their jobs. If this was a discussion with a commercial company.

                        Real world: Here is six figures for research, what can you do. Them, X.
                        Government: Here is six figures for research what can you do. Them. Well, most of that will be taken up by costs we have to cover anyway. We would need to do more to do the project.

                        The biggest prick i have ever met in my career is a career public servant. Back in NZ now. He lied his way into management positions, it was like he put a bullshit cocoon over the ears of higher management. All they heard was him singing that all was well.

                        **

                        Now back to red light cameras.

                        P platers here are a disaster. Undertaking on the highway is becoming common, as many with P plates are never told to keep left so you have no choice. If you flash your lights, many just lock up their brakes.

                        Speeding is a factor in accidents, but if you look at the statistics, its never in isolation! Maybe target the other factors, drugs, drinking, poor deicision making.

                        Comment


                        • #27
                          When they are stinging you for 66 in a 60 zone, it's pure revenue raising. Cops due a great job, but the speed camera departments are a pack of Tuesdays.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X