Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Intel snaps up Israeli Mobileye for $14.9 billion

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Intel snaps up Israeli Mobileye for $14.9 billion

    In what is the most expensive acquisition of an Israeli high-tech company, the US chip giant Intel purchases Israeli company Mobileye for around $15 billion, paving its entry into the autonomous driving technology market; Netanyahu: ‘This deal proves that the vision we are leading is coming true.’

    US chip giant Intel has bought Israeli driverless technology firm Mobileye for a massive $14.9 billion, in what is considered to be the largest ever acquisition of an Israeli high-tech company.

    Intel CEO Brian Krzanich officially stated that the deal, which is also noted for being the world's biggest purchase of a company solely focused on the autonomous driving sector.
    Fun fact - Amnon Sha'ashua (one of the founders) was my professor at uni.

  • #2
    Fantastic.

    I also posted this in the BDS thread because, well, nothing like success to aggravate BDS idiots, to paraphrase Stephen Van Sandt.

    Comment


    • #3
      That's a lot of fecking money. Jeez. The Chinese bought out my company for a lot, lot less, despite it being a long-established industry-leader and employing tens of thousands of people worldwide.

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by flamming_python View Post
        That's a lot of fecking money. Jeez. The Chinese bought out my company for a lot, lot less, despite it being a long-established industry-leader and employing tens of thousands of people worldwide.
        Well, it's not rally about the number of the people, but the value (or rather the expected value, as those thing work) of its product. Mobileye today owns 70% of autonomous/driver-assist technologies market. Lots of major car makers use their technology, including Tesla, Audie, BMW, Volvo etc.

        Comment


        • #5
          Originally posted by IDF_TANKER View Post

          Well, it's not rally about the number of the people, but the value (or rather the expected value, as those thing work) of its product. Mobileye today owns 70% of autonomous/driver-assist technologies market. Lots of major car makers use their technology, including Tesla, Audie, BMW, Volvo etc.
          If they have all that tech securely patented then I can certainly understand how owning them can prove to be a bonanza despite the high price and their comparative lack of physical assets.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by IDF_TANKER View Post

            Well, it's not rally about the number of the people, but the value (or rather the expected value, as those thing work) of its product. Mobileye today owns 70% of autonomous/driver-assist technologies market. Lots of major car makers use their technology, including Tesla, Audie, BMW, Volvo etc.
            I am not a fan of all the new fancy schmancy autonomous car stuff (my Jeep has a stick, as it should be, and I had to special order a manual transmission), but there is no denying the inevitable trend of very smart cars and very stupid drivers.

            Intel is smart to take the lead on this technology.

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by GB_FXST View Post

              I am not a fan of all the new fancy schmancy autonomous car stuff (my Jeep has a stick, as it should be, and I had to special order a manual transmission), but there is no denying the inevitable trend of very smart cars and very stupid drivers.

              Intel is smart to take the lead on this technology.
              OT but whomever puts an automatic in a 4x4 needs a smack on the back of their head.

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by flamming_python View Post

                If they have all that tech securely patented then I can certainly understand how owning them can prove to be a bonanza despite the high price and their comparative lack of physical assets.
                Dude, this is the Hi-Tech industry - unless you are a chip maker, like Intel, your pretty much only asset is your IP (intellectual property). And it doesn't have to be patented in order to have a value. Mobileye from the beginning was a ground-breaking company, when it come to the automotive industry. And this is not some social networking BS start-up making billions out of likes and smileys, they are really at the forefront of technology (AI and computer vision).

                If you are technically minded, you will find this presentation very interesting:

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Sniffit View Post

                  OT but whomever puts an automatic in a 4x4 needs a smack on the back of their head.
                  And sports cars.

                  Manual lives matter.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Confirming our earlier report, Intel said that Mobileye’s CTO and co-founder, Prof. Amnon Shashua, will lead Intel’s autonomous driving division, which will be based in Israel. Doug Davis, Intel’s SVP, will oversee how Mobileye and Intel work together across the whole company and will report to Shashua.

                    Other notable exits that have also tapped into Israel’s expertise in computer vision and machine learning have included Google buying mapping startup Waze for $1.1 billion and Apple buying 3D sensor specialist PrimeSense for reportedly around $300 million.

                    https://techcrunch.com/2017/03/13/re...-driving-tech/

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Originally posted by Sniffit View Post

                      OT but whomever puts an automatic in a 4x4 needs a smack on the back of their head.

                      not an expert/nor true, is the Humvee automatic? i read it in a Foreign Legion magazine, they repaired the auto transmission of the Humvee for US soldiers

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by peping View Post


                        not an expert/nor true, is the Humvee automatic? i read it in a Foreign Legion magazine, they repaired the auto transmission of the Humvee for US soldiers
                        Yes. And so is the new Sufa 4, BTW.

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          And the TomCars and SXS' and most (if not) all race trucks/jeeps.

                          I still prefer a manual.

                          Manual lives matter.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            http://m.jpost.com/#/app/article/484209

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Mobileye sale puts spotlight on founders’ other startup

                              Amnon Shashua and Aviram Ziv also behind OrCam, which develops devices to assist the blind and visually impaired

                              http://www.timesofisrael.com/mobiley...other-startup/

                              Comment

                              Working...
                              X