US Patent Office grants patent for rectangles on a screen

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US Patent Office grants patent for rectangles on a screen

Chinese internet giant Tencent is the newly minted holder of a US design patent on the concept of placing rectangles on a display screen.

US Patent D767,583 describes a "design concept" that, in the words of the applicant, consists of "the ornamental design for a display screen portion with graphical user interface."
    more at:

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2016/09...s_on_a_screen/

Oh USPTO, you are so silly...

This is beyond stupid. Patents on stuff in common use for basically ever and stuff that require close to zero actual development work should get the boot by default. If we're gonna patent general ideas rather than full products in the first place, at least a rule of thumb needs to be that you should be the first one who had the idea to do something in a particular way rather than you being the first who had the idea to patent it.

Comment

I am sure I read somewhere that the USPTO doesn't employ anyone with any programming knowledge as a patent checker.

Comment

I remember when I was with Amazon in the mid/late 90's and we managed to get "one click shopping/purchase" thru the patent office.

That got everyone in e-tailing's panties in a bunch.

Comment

Yep, I think that was the start of the whole patent trolling thing. Everyone realised that patenting something blatantly obvious was a path to riches thanks to the USPTO being ... inept.

Comment

you should be the first one who had the idea to do something in a particular way rather than you being the first who had the idea to patent it.
            That used to be the case but as R&D is pacing up, more diverse, more clustered and more concurrencial, it seems that patents judges found too difficult to use those criterias as baselines
            Especially when you have several teams/univ working on the same subject at the same time (which is often the case on hot potato subjects)Here a recent and famous example as the CRISP-CAS-9 system is taking a mjaor importance in bioengineering

http://www.ipwatchdog.com/2016/06/05...logy/id=69650/

Comment

Working...
            X