No announcement yet.

Solar energy will be mainstream by 2020, says new report

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes solar does get some slack, but nothing compared to the fossil fuel industry.

Comment

Originally posted by Kilgor View Post
      Yes solar does get some slack, but nothing compared to the fossil fuel industry.
      What do you mean?

Comment

Originally posted by muck View Post
        What do you mean?

http://www.worldenergyoutlook.org/re...ergysubsidies/

Comment

Originally posted by Mindy Fashionista View Post

Government or private industry can and may have to invest in renewing existing rail infrastructure and building new infrastructure. This has the added bonus of encoureging people more people to move away from the big cities. Secondly it will take a lot of trucks off the road thus lowering fuel use AND making the roads safer and by replacing trucks with rail you develop a more efficient transportation system on a weight/distance/cost factor.

Take wheat farming. A truck should only be used from the farm to the railhead.........Then transported by train to the grain terminal where it can be loaded onto a ship for export or transported by smaller vehicles to where it's used for food. You can electrify the rail line quite easily.
          We have solar at our farm, works great, with the occasional tweak from a diesel genset if we get 3 or 4 days of rain and no sun. That could be fixed by a bigger and better battery bank. We also have a solar pump in a well. You really get to know the solar cycle when you watch the output from the pump even if the clouds cover over for a minute or two.

Rail infrastructure in Australia certainly is the go, problem is, Australia has continually moved away from rail, no matter what people say. The new inland heavy rail, at least as far as im concerned, probably wont go ahead as good ideas dont get funded. We have spent too much time without new infrastructure, and the CAVE people (citizens against virtually everything) will have an opinion. Sadly, trucks rule the roost. You look at America, i was in Texas, and my colleague pointed to a train load of corn from Nebraska (i think that is what it was). Either way, a rail journey of at least 250 miles as the crow flies, probably far longer as i measured that distance border of NE to border of TX in the pan handle.

Back to the point, farms should be able to run stuff to the rail head, but when rail heads don't exist, it doesn't work. If you factor in limited diesel, and solar power, then yes, it makes sense.

Comment

Also, what about aviation, container shipping (please dont say sails)

The amount of the world that runs on just in time delivery systems...

Comment

Also, what about aviation, container shipping (please dont say sails)

The amount of the world that runs on just in time delivery systems...
              As I've said it all comes down to storage. Though ships could have pv's mounted to them and planes could have them integrated into the design as well. Nobody is saying this is going to happen overnight, but it will happen. In 30 years, 50 years, or even 100 years from now.

In the short term you should focus on PV's as a means of distributed generation, micro-grids, and off grid living.

Comment

Well, i have a queation? Did ANYBODY save money by switching from normal energy to solar one? Right now in most cases, it doesnt even returns the money invested by the time you have to switch the pannels. Not to mention the production of them is far from being "green".

Comment

Originally posted by EiB L/T View Post
                  Well, i have a queation? Did ANYBODY save money by switching from normal energy to solar one? Right now in most cases, it doesnt even returns the money invested by the time you have to switch the pannels. Not to mention the production of them is far from being "green".
                  Yes. There are extensive case studies in the electrical engineering field regarding renewable energy if you care to look for them (I don't at the moment, but I have seen them, and I have even designed a system myself that would save money over the long term after an initial high buy in). If I ever own a home you can bet your ass I will implement a system using PV's to reduce my reliance on the grid. I just may not tell Georgia Power about it, lol.

Comment

I am not going to share my parents' energy bill. But I can tell you, yes. If not in a few years due to the initial investment.

Though where I live I don't suppose it would help much, since the roof belongs to too many energy-consumers.

Comment

Yes. Me, and every one I know here in AZ running solar on their homes.

Based on 2013 rates, the difference in my bill (accounting for my lease payment) averages $60/month, to date a savings of $1,800.00.

Comment

Aren't we afraid the solar panels are going to starve the sun of energy?

Comment

Yes. Why question this ?

Solar isn't crap for all applications. I currently run a 30 tube evacuated system which the backup electrical heating element I'd switched off for all but 3 hours in the early morning . It's winter here and I have yet to run out of hot water.

In summer the backup system can be completely turned off and go 100% roof pump only.

I plan to go electric pv soon for the grid. I also have other dyi fans and pumps running of 12v solar gear I put together myself.

The 370l hot water system cost 5k and I got 1.5k back from the gov in rebates. I was getting quotes for all gas systems for 3 k .

I can't speak for everyone but electricity is extremely costly here bris , Queensland and water heating take up a major part of that.

Comment

Originally posted by Wilkie View Post
                            Aren't we afraid the solar panels are going to starve the sun of energy?
                            We can throw some nukes into it to stoke up the fire a bit

Comment

Yes. Why question this ?

Solar isn't crap for all applications. I currently run a 30 tube evacuated system which the backup electrical heating element I'd switched off for all but 3 hours in the early morning . It's winter here and I have yet to run out of hot water.

In summer the backup system can be completely turned off and go 100% roof pump only.

I plan to go electric pv soon for the grid. I also have other dyi fans and pumps running of 12v solar gear I put together myself.

The 370l hot water system cost 5k and I got 1.5k back from the gov in rebates. I was getting quotes for all gas systems for 3 k .

I can't speak for everyone but electricity is extremely costly here bris , Queensland and water heating take up a major part of that.
                              Why question this? Because it wasnt always the case maybe? In Germany it only only did pay off, because gov gave you subisdies AND guaranteed sale price way above normal level. When they reduced this things, it put profitability of it for many objects into question

I didnt inform myself activelly about it for few years already(since living in a town it doesnt affect me), so i wanted to ask how the situation looks like now.

Comment

Working...
                              X