No announcement yet.

US college shenanigans

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Late last month, the Columbia Democrats blasted protesters who had disrupted speakers invited by the College Republicans.
    • On November 21, the CU Dems retracted their initial op-ed, apologizing for its “reckless inconsideration of identity-based groups" and vowing to join in future anti-conservative protests.
    https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10194

I am slowly, but surely, starting to consider that Liberals and Democrats are all authoritarian POS.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ivan le Fou View Post

https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10194

I am slowly, but surely, starting to consider that Liberals and Democrats are all authoritarian POS.
      Seems legit. Please let us know when you intend on publishing your scientific findings. I'll be more than happy to do a peer-review. <3

Comment

• Originally posted by Fallap View Post

Seems legit. Please let us know when you intend on publishing your scientific findings. I'll be more than happy to do a peer-review. <3
        It actually is legit.

And similar cases of abusive behavior have been reported over and over again, and have been documented at length. Especially since Trump's elections.
        Such behavior can be observed not only in the US, but also in Canada, the UK, and it is slowly getting there in Europe as well.

Reporting such abuses is, basically, what this thread is about.

And this extensive list of abuses, which will only, I am sure, go on getting bigger and bigger, is one of the thing, with the growing authoritarian influence which is currently developing on college and university campuses, that has comforted me in NOT going for an academical career once I'm done with my Ph.D.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ivan le Fou View Post

It actually is legit.

And similar cases of abusive behavior have been reported over and over again, and have been documented at length. Especially since Trump's elections.
          Such behavior can be observed not only in the US, but also in Canada, the UK, and it is slowly getting there in Europe as well.

Reporting such abuses is, basically, what this thread is about.

And this extensive list of abuses, which will only, I am sure, go on getting bigger and bigger, is one of the thing, with the growing authoritarian influence which is currently developing on college and university campuses, that has comforted me in NOT going for an academical career once I'm done with my Ph.D.

I have no doubts about the rising abusive behavior at the hands of left leaning students at American campusses, I just try not to put everyone in the same basket. I experience the same thing, at a less extreme level thankfully, at my university (Aarhus University http://www.au.dk/en/ ). Left leaning students outnumber us Conservatives in a large ratio, and that often leaves it difficult to voice an opinion less favourable among the majority.

May I ask what you are studying?

Comment

I have no doubts about the rising abusive behavior at the hands of left leaning students at American campusses, I just try not to put everyone in the same basket. I experience the same thing, at a less extreme level thankfully, at my university (Aarhus University http://www.au.dk/en/ ). Left leaning students outnumber us Conservatives in a large ratio, and that often leaves it difficult to voice an opinion less favourable among the majority.

I know you’re attempting to be funny, but it’s not working. Too smarmy, but good try anyway.

And be careful what you ask of Ivan. He knows more about the US than just about everyone on your continent, and I daresay more than some of my own countrymen.

Comment

The thing is in the US, and other countries, it is not limited to the students, who do outnumber conservatives, but also the administration and teachers.

The thing is in the US, and other countries, the point that could be defined as "it is hard to make our voice heard" has been long gone. Debates are non existent, speech is far beyond stifled. Speech is being suppressed, different opinions are being silenced, free-speech (in other words the simple fact of voicing one's opinion) is considered hate speech and, to some extent, an clear and open act of aggression (both psychological and physical).

Berkeley, Harvard, Evergreen, Laurier, Toronto, etc... These are not anecdotal. These are not one-time occurrences.
              Far from me the idea of being alarmist and a drama queen, but there is clear and serious issue. The time of warning about such issue is gone, prevention is no longer relevant for this is currently happening.

It is not so much the left, but what is now called the regressive/authoritarian left.
              That kind of behavior, coming from the teaching staff, falls under the spectrum going from complacency to open activism.

And the fact that there barely any criticism and/or condemnation of such behavior coming from the left (no matter how on the left one may be) is profoundly troubling.
              If that kind of issue was new, I could understand the lack of reaction. But this has been going on for years (at least since the first occurrence) but has disturbingly grown for one or two years, literally exploded for the last few months (since Trump's election).
              And yet, and though "they" don't even hesitate on turning on their own, there is a very strong laissez-faire behavior.

I know this may appear grotesque, absurd and borderline "fake-news". When I talk about it to retired teachers, or to colleagues, most of them are baffled. But this is happening.
              Last edited by Ivan le Fou; 27-11-2017, 10:46 PM.

Comment

• A pro-Palestine legal group accused a pro-Israel counterpart of “racist harassment” for challenging anti-Semitism in the University of Wisconsin-Madison student government.
                The Louis D. Brandeis Center (LDB) sent a letter to UW Chancellor Rebecca Blank over the summer applauding her for condemning the Associated Students of Madison (ASM) after the student government passed a “Boycott, Divestment, and Sanctions” (BDS)-inspired resolution demanding divestment from companies that do business with Israel—a vote that was preceded by an attempt to approve a bylaw change during Passover, when Jewish representatives were unable to attend.
                https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10205

Comment

• Wait...it get's better!

https://www.thecollegefix.com/post/39422/

School officials refuse to clarify how and why policy will be implemented

Brown University is implementing a change to its graduate school application that will allow applicants to “self-identify” as persons of color. Multiple efforts by The College Fix to clarify the details of this change were ignored by campus officials.

The policy comes as a result of complaints made by graduate students on the Graduate School advisory board that international and Asian American students are not treated as members of historically underrepresented groups by the university, according to The Brown Daily Herald.

Comment

• Lindsay Shepherd’s Attacker Who Labeled her “Alt-Right” Was Ousted from Windsor University Position After Anti-Semitic Scandal

Mohommad Akbar, one of Lindsay Shepherd’s most vocal opponents, helped lead a 2014 BDS campus movement that emboldened anti-Semites to endanger the safety of Jewish students at Windsor University.
                    University of Wilfrid Laurier alumnus Mohammad Akbar recently published a hit piece on Lindsay Shepherd, the TA who had the audacity to simply play a clip of Jordan Peterson and others debating gender pronouns.
                    Shepherd was censured, brought in for a meeting with Laurier faculty who berated her until she broke down in tears. They equated her airing a Jordan Peterson clip in class with playing a Hitler speech. Since the audio of her abuse was leaked, the school has issued a retraction, but some of the leftist activists and journalists are coming after Shepherd, and they won’t stop until they have her head delivered on a platter.

https://medium.com/@JamesDamost/lind...n-50f7700cb9c8

But it is okay to be anti-white, anti-male, anti-jews, etc...

Comment

• What!? Some college graduate klown raises the "black power" fist? Like what year are we in, 1967!?

1. http://www.newser.com/story/253022/d...nt-speech.html

Newser) – Amid boos and applause, Education Secretary Betsy DeVos implored students not to "join in the chorus of conflict," even as dozens turned their backs in protest of her commencement appearance at the University of Baltimore's graduation ceremony. Graduate student Kerrin Smith, 26, said DeVos and Donald Trump have overseen a "strangling of public education." DeVos, who has spent decades promoting the use of vouchers and other methods to redirect public money into private schools, shared a few anecdotes about the graduates she had met, including several first-generation college students. "You are a source of inspiration. You are the reason we are working to rethink how our country approaches education," DeVos said.

H'99 comment: What on earth are these klowns protesting? What has this woman said or done to them? How is she impeding education or "civil rights"? The article gives no explanation as to what these people have a problem with? Akin to the Chicken Little story, the folks just run around vomiting up nonsense with no facts or explanation to back them up.

Oh brother! This next story is absurd!

2. http://www.thecollegefix.com/post/40145/

University of Michigan training session used ‘Privileged Identity Exploration Model’

A two-day professional development conference held recently at the University of Michigan included a training session that aimed to help white employees deal with their “whiteness” so they could become better equipped to fight for social justice causes, according to organizers.

Participants who took part in the “Conversations on Whiteness” session, held December 5 during the university’s Student Life Professional Development Conference, were taught to “recognize the difficulties they face when talking about social justice issues related to their White identity, explore this discomfort, and devise ways to work through it,” the university’s website states.

Oh, gotta top the other stories...better by the story!

3. http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/15...ssor-says.html

Jingle Bells,” one of the most well-known Christmas carols in the world, is now being called racist.

A Boston University theater professor claims the Christmas carol has a “problematic history” because it was originally performed to make fun of African Americans.

“The legacy of ‘Jingle Bells’ is one where its blackface and racist origins have been subtly and systematically removed from its history,” Kyna Hamill, a BU theater historian, wrote in her “Theatre Survey” research paper on the story of “Jingle Bells.”
                      Last edited by haze99; 19-12-2017, 03:12 PM.

Comment

•  

Comment

• I... I just tweeted an innocent call for genocide and... and people took it out of context... it is not what I meant though I consistently lecture and campaign against the white race which I consider to be despicable and deserving of death... and... and it got people angry at me... and they sent me mean messages... what a victim I am. What a horrible time we live in! Where a man cannot live in peace after making calls for murder and genocide of anybody with a specific skin color?

Comment

• The Washington Post seems to have forgotten all the censorship that SJWs are responsible for. Here's a short list off the top of my head:
                            - Deplatforming (anywhere, anytime, but preferably at universities).
                            - Censoring titillating art (comics, movies, video games).
                            - Blockbots.
                            - Intimidating people into silence by organised bullying campaigns and contacting employers to fire people due to wrongthink.
                            - Advocating for "hate speech" laws to legally ensure you can't say certain things.

In fact, in important ways the social justice approach — which emphasizes the dynamics of power and oppression — that many fear has taken over the humanities and social sciences at its best is actually an improvement over the “disinterested pursuit of truth” and more in line with the Socratic method. In fact, rather than constituting an attack on knowledge, the social justice lens reflects new ideas generated by academic disciplines and experts within them, and generally encourages expanding our knowledge and opening up subjects to new perspectives, much like Socrates advocated.
                            Socrates, the famous Athenian philosopher of the fifth century BCE, is beloved as the paragon of open debate, an example for all teachers to follow. He engaged in vigorous discussion with some of the most influential political and educational figures in Athens, usually to demonstrate that even the wisest figures in society did not know nearly as much as they thought they did.
                            https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/...=.84c1980371b4

Gotta love how SJWs are being made equals to Socrates.
                            Last edited by Ivan le Fou; 10-01-2018, 07:36 AM.

Comment

• Trending...

1. http://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/flo...Arx?li=BBnbfcL

A Florida university posted campus police outside a sociology class titled "White Racism" after the professor was flooded with harassing emails and messages -- some of them openly racist. "All that it takes is that one person to act on their views," said Ted Thornhill, assistant professor of sociology at Florida Gulf Coast University, in a phone call with CNN. "We've got to be cautious because you don't know what people are capable of."

Tuesday was the first day of class, and there were no incidents reported. But Thornhill's course has been creating headlines, and controversy, since it was announced last fall.

2. https://www.campusreform.org/?ID=10342

A math education professor at Brooklyn College contends in a recent academic article that “meritocracy” in math classes is a “tool of whiteness.”
                              Laurie Rubel implicates both meritocracy and “color-blindness” as ideological precepts that hold back racial minorities from succeeding in math classes in an article for the peer-reviewed Journal of Urban Mathematics Education

Rubel, who taught high school math for nine years before becoming a professor, argues that while meritocracy is commonly linked to hard work and talent, it also “functions as a tool of whiteness” because it “ignores systemic barriers and institutional structures that prevent opportunity and success.”

Color-blindness, too, can be an issue for math teachers, according to Rubel, who asserts that “Teachers who claim color-blindness—that is, they claim to not notice the race of their students—are, in effect, refusing to acknowledge the impact of enduring racial stratification on students and their families.
                              “By claiming not to notice, the teacher is saying that she is dismissing one of the most salient features of the child’s identity and that she does not account for it in her curricular planning.
                              Last edited by haze99; 11-01-2018, 04:11 PM.

Comment

• Fuck anyone who thinks like these people. The human race would be better off if they just dropped dead.

Comment

Working...
                                X