X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US senators seek Russia sanctions over hacking, Ukraine, Syria

http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/10/us-se...ine-syria.html

Comment

• ^^ This looks like Iran like automatic sanctions on Russia very comprehensive , How will Russia react ?

Comment

• Russia considers banning sale of cigarettes to anyone born after 2015
        http://www.independent.co.uk/news/wo...-a7518691.html

Russia seems pretty crazy about getting rid of tobacco these days, here's a summary of the already harsh anti-tobacco legislation right now:
        http://www.tobaccocontrollaws.org/le...ssia/sf-indoor

All these tough laws were introduced under Putin, and they have together with huge hikes in tobacco tax and wide restrictions on advertising etc caused smoking to decline to new all-time lows. Tobacco-related illlnesses have, together with alcohol been one of the leading causes of death in Russia for ages and all these measures definitely played a big part in raising the average male life expectancy from an abysmal ~57 years in the glorious 1990's to ~65 years right now, and rising.

Alcohol's another tough one, and harsher legislation there has produced results. Under Putin, the 1990's spike of external causes of death in general has been entirely reversed and now it's lower than pre-USSR collapse levels.

All in all, the miserable demographic trends have stopped and there's steady absolute population growth (which takes into account immigration etc) as well as natural population (just the births/deaths ratio) growth now.

Good for perspective.

With the mass methanol poisoning event in Irkutsk a few weeks ago, expect massive crackdowns on substitute alcohols as well. We've had those kinds of poisonings here in Scandinavia too, but never on that massive scale. Anyway, I hope they can sort that out too, as they've made massive progress elsewhere already with these public health issues.

Comment

• Random bizniz news, FWIW.

Investing legend Jim Rogers: 'Forget China, buy Russia'
          http://www.cnbc.com/2017/01/09/inves...uy-russia.html

The Russia MICEX Stock Market Index reached an all time high of 2285.43 in January of 2017
          http://www.tradingeconomics.com/russia/stock-market

Russia Gets Its Wish at Last as Inflation Set for Record Low
          https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...for-record-low

If these biz trends (and the now surprisingly positive numbers concerning their economic situation) are any reliable indicators of what's to come, then the decline should pretty much have come to a halt by now with growth finally resuming soon. It's gonna take a while until it's back to pre-2014 levels, but all in all they pretty much weathered this full-on assault out and the impact on people in general has been rather subtle and mostly concerning statistically evident shifts in household priorities (less traveling and what not). Well managed.

Good comparison with Ukraine:
          http://www.intellinews.com/a-tale-of...n-2017-113302/

Comment

• ^^ What do you make of new sanction to be introduced by Mcain and others , This seems penalising company investing in Russia

Comment

• Originally posted by AustinJ View Post
              ^^ What do you make of new sanction to be introduced by Mcain and others , This seems penalising company investing in Russia
              Don't think it'll have much of an effect, whatever they come up with at this stage. If it gets through, they'll sanction some more individuals and seize non-existent foreign assets and so on, ie business as usual. I mean, they did that just now again anyway, for some inexplicable reason.

The sanctions that are already in place are the ones with the most potential impact, investment restrictions, difficulties for Russian entities to take foreign loans and what not, but that's all just shifted to China and other major economies that aren't part of that game. Nowadays they're feeling pretty safe, I think.

I wrote a bit earlier regarding the impact of the economic decline on regular everyday citizens, using travelling as an example where it shows. Well, now it's apparently pretty much back to normal again:
              https://www.gazeta.ru/business/2017/...93.shtml#page1

Nearly half of the Russians spent their New Years holidays abroad. Out of my acquaintances in Russia, about half did too. Furthermore, a few of those who didn't were contractually obliged not to, so it wasn't an economic issue for them.

Comment

• Originally posted by moosefoot View Post
                Nearly half of the Russians spent their New Years holidays abroad. Out of my acquaintances in Russia, about half did too. Furthermore, a few of those who didn't were contractually obliged not to, so it wasn't an economic issue for them.
                Did the holiday destinations of your acquaintances change in the last years?

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitleser1987 View Post

Did the holiday destinations of your acquaintances change in the last years?
                  Noticeably fewer went abroad in 2014/2015, but no, the destinations didn't change. It's typically always been about Greece, Cyprus, Thailand, Turkey (well, not over the holidays of 2015/2016 because of you-know-what) and so on. Apart from those standard destinations, one friend of mine spent the holidays in Paris this year, another one in Denmark/Copenhagen (for some reason). And I'm not acquainted with any posh jetsetty Moscow urbanites, so I suppose this pretty much reflects average city dwellers (500,000+ pop) in Western Russia in the middle income bracket. But I don't know, that's just my impression based on a fairly small sample size.

I know some people from the "provinces" too, and they're not quite as cosmopolitan as can be expected, but they occasionally go abroad as well. More common for them however is to travel within Russia (and that can be a pretty trek in itself anyway)

Comment

It's typically always been about Greece, Cyprus, Thailand, Turkey (well, not over the holidays of 2015/2016 because of you-know-what) and so on.
                    Maybe it is not coincidence that Greece is also finally exiting recession.

Comment

Noticeably fewer went abroad in 2014/2015, but no, the destinations didn't change. It's typically always been about Greece, Cyprus, Thailand, Turkey (well, not over the holidays of 2015/2016 because of you-know-what) and so on. Apart from those standard destinations, one friend of mine spent the holidays in Paris this year, another one in Denmark/Copenhagen (for some reason). And I'm not acquainted with any posh jetsetty Moscow urbanites, so I suppose this pretty much reflects average city dwellers (500,000+ pop) in Western Russia in the middle income bracket. But I don't know, that's just my impression based on a fairly small sample size.

I know some people from the "provinces" too, and they're not quite as cosmopolitan as can be expected, but they occasionally go abroad as well. More common for them however is to travel within Russia (and that can be a pretty trek in itself anyway)

Hmm of foreign vacations of acquaintances on New Years - Holland, Georgia, Finland, Thailand.

But just as many spent theirs in other places in Russia - like myself who just went to Moscow

Comment

• So that Russian nutbar "artist" and "government critic" Pavlensky who's been featured in Western media on and off for the past couple of years and whom nemipuka et al seemed to adore or something, apparently flipped out for real.

The backstory on him is basically, well, he once nailed his balls to the Red Square (!), cut off one of his earlobes (???), sew his mouth shut (for real, with actual needle and thread) and also tried to set fire to the FSB headquarters last year. He's a total loony and an arsonist, and he's been fined and jailed and released and blah blah blah over and over again for his lunatic stunts. Each time, various Western pundits, journalists and whatever commended him for his so-called "bravery" against the evil Russian state and what have you.

Now he's fled Russia for France, and the reason appears to be that he attacked and raped actress Nastia Slonina, and assaulted her boyfriend too. Slonina's also an "opposition activist" and everything, for that matter, working at the theater collective "Teatr.doc". The director of said theater, Elena Gremina (another opposition activist) says that Pavlensky totally lost it and went into some kind of grandiose psychosis or something.

Told ya the guy wasn't right in the head.

Comment

• Why didn't he flee to the Ukraine? I don't want this guy in Europe.

Comment

• Originally posted by Mitleser1987 View Post
                            Why didn't he flee to the Ukraine? I don't want this guy in Europe.
                            AFAIK he did, for a little while, but they didn't want him either I guess.

Various Russian oppositionist-tinted news outlets (Ekho, Dozhd, Novaya Gazeta etc) have released more details on the matter and they are taking it seriously.

Pavlensky himself says he's been framed by the FSB somehow (what a shocker) but there's legit security footage of him kicking the living shit out of a Teatr.doc dude, and Pavlensky's colleagues are saying that he really flipped out for real, thinking he "was a god" according to one of them.

The actress from the same theater who says he raped her also says it's for real.

Comment

AFAIK he did, for a little while, but they didn't want him either I guess.

Various Russian oppositionist-tinted news outlets (Ekho, Dozhd, Novaya Gazeta etc) have released more details on the matter and they are taking it seriously.

Pavlensky himself says he's been framed by the FSB somehow (what a shocker) but there's legit security footage of him kicking the living shit out of a Teatr.doc dude, and Pavlensky's colleagues are saying that he really flipped out for real, thinking he "was a god" according to one of them.

The actress from the same theater who says he raped her also says it's for real.

Hope he's arrested by Interpol not given bloody asylum.

BTW whatever happened to that Russian Jewish teacher from Moscow who fled to Israel after being outed for screwing one of his 15-year old pupils? Hope he wasn't taken in as some 'Aliyah' repatriate rather than the little sex offender he actually is. You seem up to date on all of this stuff moosefoot.

Comment

• Originally posted by flamming_python View Post
                                BTW whatever happened to that Russian Jewish teacher from Moscow who fled to Israel after being outed for screwing one of his 15-year old pupils? Hope he wasn't taken in as some 'Aliyah' repatriate rather than the little sex offender he actually is. You seem up to date on all of this stuff moosefoot.
                                Chilling in Israel. You know it was girls own fault for sure, and she is a Goi, so who cares.

Comment

Working...
                                X