Russian Domestic Issues thread.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Russian Domestic Issues thread.

Last time I made this thread back on mp.net it got some traction and imho some really great discussion from a few interested members.
    Let's see if there's anybody around who wants to keep the discussion going.

Rules:
    -No discussion about Ukraine, unless it is directly tied to a domestic topic you would like to bring up.
    -Topic range can be very broad but do try to keep it domestic and army stuff should go in the armed forces thread.
    -Be polite, this is a thread for mature discussion of Russian issues. Trolls will be dealt with appropriately.
    -Know what you're talking about. Reading a single NYtimes article about how Russia is falling apart does not give you the information you need to start posting in this thread. If you're genuinely interested in an explanation of some issue by Russian/other members, make sure your post reflects that and is obviously not trolling.

That's it for now, I'll add more rules if it becomes necessary.

P.S. Jeez this site is so confusing to use at times.

Go get us started:

Here's a review of the content in "President" a story of Putin's years as president: http://lenta.ru/articles/2015/04/26/president/

Some possible discussion topics:
    -How are we liking the response to the massive fires out east? I think it's been too goddamn limited.
    -So it looks like if the Superjet doesn't start getting foreign orders soon it's pretty much dead.

Comment

Originally posted by Maximmmm View Post
      Go get us started:

Here's a review of the content in "President" a story of Putin's years as president: http://lenta.ru/articles/2015/04/26/president/

Some possible discussion topics:
      -How are we liking the response to the massive fires out east? I think it's been too goddamn limited.
      -So it looks like if the Superjet doesn't start getting foreign orders soon it's pretty much dead.

The SSJ-100 may never find any US or European customers anytime soon, part of that is the reputation Russian aircraft have gained over here and part of it is of course due to the political climate. There are plenty of alternative customers in Latin America and Asia anyway. Mexico's Interjet is very happy with the SSJ-100 and UAC reports that there is a lot of interest in places like India. Anyway, there is still a large domestic market for it, I believe Aeroflot placed another order quite recently.

By the way, this was a great thread back on Mp.net. Thanks for bringing it over here.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan the Colorado View Post
        The SSJ-100 may never find any US or European customers anytime soon, part of that is the reputation Russian aircraft have gained over here and part of it is of course due to the political climate. There are plenty of alternative customers in Latin America and Asia anyway. Mexico's Interjet is very happy with the SSJ-100 and UAC reports that there is a lot of interest in places like India. Anyway, there is still a large domestic market for it, I believe Aeroflot placed another order quite recently.

By the way, this was a great thread back on Mp.net. Thanks for bringing it over here.

My pleasure!
        Bit of an analysis on the issue from lenta: http://lenta.ru/articles/2015/04/24/il214/
        The biggest problems seem to be service&parts and the second-hand market. If we can't guarantee flawless and speedy service, nobody is going to bite. Furthermore, if the plane is worthless after 10 years, whereas any Airbus can be resold 20 times, that also is a serious consideration.
        Frankly I think our only chance is a breakout in the asia market. They have a plethora of small airlines and we need to push this plane hard, with government standing as a guarantor of quality.

On a side-note:
        I've been rewatching The West Wing lately, I'm on the 20th episode of season 3 and it's quite interesting to see how Russia was viewed back in those days (weak, corrupt, a political mess etc). Oh how things have changed.
        Oh and the most interesting part is that the episode is about a summit in Helsinki with the new Russian president and they're basically trying to decide what to think of the guy. Heh, good old times.
        Last edited by Maximmmm; 26-04-2015, 03:20 PM.

Comment

My pleasure!
          Bit of an analysis on the issue from lenta: http://lenta.ru/articles/2015/04/24/il214/
          The biggest problems seem to be service&parts and the second-hand market. If we can't guarantee flawless and speedy service, nobody is going to bite. Furthermore, if the plane is worthless after 10 years, whereas any Airbus can be resold 20 times, that also is a serious consideration.
          Frankly I think our only chance is a breakout in the asia market. They have a plethora of small airlines and we need to push this plane hard, with government standing as a guarantor of quality.

On a side-note:
          I've been rewatching The West Wing lately, I'm on the 20th episode of season 3 and it's quite interesting to see how Russia was viewed back in those days (weak, corrupt, a political mess etc). Oh how things have changed.
          Oh and the most interesting part is that the episode is about a summit in Helsinki with the new Russian president and they're basically trying to decide what to think of the guy. Heh, good old times.
          So far the SSJ-100 has proven itself as a comfortable, reliable, and robust airframe. I believe Interjet reported ~99.7% dispatch reliability (can't find the article for some reason) and I think that the Russian airliners are now reporting close numbers. The wide fuselage that is found on the SSJ-100 and will be found on the MS-21 are also really big selling points. Looking at the MS-21 brochure, I hope that the UAC will follow with their promise of providing reliable maintenance for both the SSJ and MS-21. With the SSJ and the MS-21, the UAC has great products with great potential, all that is left is that they use them to the full potential.The biggest competition that the UAC faces on that side of the globe are still the Western aerospace giants as the Russian aerospace industry is still 5 centuries in front of China's. I really hope that both these projects end as a commercial success for both the UAC and Russia. It would be quite interesting to see Russia return on the commercial sector to the level near to that of the US and Boeing, after Russia could not compete back in the 90's.

Speaking of which, I remember visiting Russia back when I was 4-5 (in 2001). Even Moscow felt very depressed and grey. I visit Russia often (my last visit was July of 2014) and it is easy to see that the living and economic situations have improved and are continuing to improve by leaps and bounds. It might be one of the biggest comebacks in our time.

Comment

Originally posted by Ivan the Colorado View Post
            So far the SSJ-100 has proven itself as a comfortable, reliable, and robust airframe. I believe Interjet reported ~99.7% dispatch reliability (can't find the article for some reason) and I think that the Russian airliners are now reporting close numbers. The wide fuselage that is found on the SSJ-100 and will be found on the MS-21 are also really big selling points. Looking at the MS-21 brochure, I hope that the UAC will follow with their promise of providing reliable maintenance for both the SSJ and MS-21. With the SSJ and the MS-21, the UAC has great products with great potential, all that is left is that they use them to the full potential.The biggest competition that the UAC faces on that side of the globe are still the Western aerospace giants as the Russian aerospace industry is still 5 centuries in front of China's. I really hope that both these projects end as a commercial success for both the UAC and Russia. It would be quite interesting to see Russia return on the commercial sector to the level near to that of the US and Boeing, after Russia could not compete back in the 90's.

Speaking of which, I remember visiting Russia back when I was 4-5 (in 2001). Even Moscow felt very depressed and grey. I visit Russia often (my last visit was July of 2014) and it is easy to see that the living and economic situations have improved and are continuing to improve by leaps and bounds. It might be one of the biggest comebacks in our time.

I definitely agree, and I hope the government has a plan for pushing the plane forward. Maybe tie its purchase to some of the soft loans we swing around all the time. That would be the best way of subsidizing it.

As for Russia looking less dreary, that's certainly true. I just hope we survive this economic crisis and don't start stagnating.

Comment

I think that some Belgian company ordered SU100 recently.

Comment

It is an entirely fictional show, countries get portrayed in whatever way advances the plot or character development the authors need that week, often with many inconsistencies through out the run of a series.
                Last edited by SnowmanCA; 26-04-2015, 11:45 PM.

Comment

Last time I made this thread back on mp.net it got some traction and imho some really great discussion from a few interested members.
                  Let's see if there's anybody around who wants to keep the discussion going.

Rules:
                  -No discussion about Ukraine, unless it is directly tied to a domestic topic you would like to bring up.
                  -Topic range can be very broad but do try to keep it domestic and army stuff should go in the armed forces thread.
                  -Be polite, this is a thread for mature discussion of Russian issues. Trolls will be dealt with appropriately.
                  -Know what you're talking about. Reading a single NYtimes article about how Russia is falling apart does not give you the information you need to start posting in this thread. If you're genuinely interested in an explanation of some issue by Russian/other members, make sure your post reflects that and is obviously not trolling.

That's it for now, I'll add more rules if it becomes necessary.
                  Well aren't we just a tad bit demanding....Are you interested in an actual discussion or are you trying to set up your own forum?

Comment

Originally posted by California Joe View Post

Well aren't we just a tad bit demanding....Are you interested in an actual discussion or are you trying to set up your own forum?

Common CJ you know what I'm trying to do, heck you're a mod, you should know what I'm trying to prevent better than anyone. This was a good thread back in the old place and the rules are there so people who actually want to discuss interesting topics don't have to deal with the usual derail strategies. It worked back there, I don't see why it can't work here as well.

Comment

Originally posted by Neutrality

Why should Russia be worried about that? If there are more than enough (more than in Europe) Asian and Latin American countries interested in both SSJ-100 and MS-21 why should they worry about Europeans not being interested? Doesn't matter who buys them. the dollar bills are the same, be it from Europe or Asia.

True, I was just pointing out the facts.

Also on another note. Seems like some people are losing their minds. St Pete lawmakers are seriously discussing bringing back punishment for not working (classic USSR law)
                      Interview with one of the guys behind the idea: http://lenta.ru/articles/2015/04/27/parasite/

Comment

Also on another note. Seems like some people are losing their minds. St Pete lawmakers are seriously discussing bringing back punishment for not working (classic USSR law)
                        Interview with one of the guys behind the idea: http://lenta.ru/articles/2015/04/27/parasite/
                        In some way i support this law.
                        You know, we have free healthcare for any RF citizen, but you pay taxes. Unemploeyd doesn't pay taxes but uses all capabilities of our system. I think goverment must set fixed price for medical unsurance for unemploeyd.

Comment

Originally posted by DTA View Post

In some way i support this law.
                          You know, we have free healthcare for any RF citizen, but you pay taxes. Unemploeyd doesn't pay taxes but uses all capabilities of our system. I think goverment must set fixed price for medical unsurance for unemploeyd.
                          That's the key distinction. It sounds nice, but once you start considering things it becomes obvious how stupid the law is.
                          Laws like this choke business off, in a time where we desperately need the amount of private businesses to grow. Not to mention the inherent problems with it. What about people renting out property or earning money from stocks?
                          Why should the government decide where you can or can't work, when it has no understanding of your skills or desires?

Yes there should be some sort of way to push people towards employment, but not with measures that will damage business and investor confidence.

Comment

Common CJ you know what I'm trying to do, heck you're a mod, you should know what I'm trying to prevent better than anyone. This was a good thread back in the old place and the rules are there so people who actually want to discuss interesting topics don't have to deal with the usual derail strategies. It worked back there, I don't see why it can't work here as well.
                            Relax...............Carry on.

Originally posted by Neutrality
                            Which part exactly is "demanding"?
                            I don't know, maybe all of the demands? Who's talking to you?
                            Last edited by California Joe; 27-04-2015, 11:10 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by California Joe View Post

Relax...............Carry on.
                              Thanks CJ (insert old hug emoticon here).

Comment

Working...
                              X