Steel Slats

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Steel Slats

Trump now appears to be okay with the big beautiful wall being comprised of big beautiful metal slats. No word yet if they’ll be golden plated to make them beautiful.

Yes, I think this is a bit embarrassing for Trump. But let’s not focus on that and discuss the merits of this proposal.

What’s the functional life and efficacy of these “steel slats” vs. a traditional beautiful concrete wall (with or without a crocodile filled moat)? And assuming you’re not a communist, which of these two proposals do you support?

Steel Slats (aka artistically designed beautiful murder spikes):
    https://twitter.com/realDonal...39448461987841

Beautiful Concrete Walls:
    https://www.mysanantonio.com/busines...e-12455198.php
    Last edited by Jonathan; 21-12-2018, 08:37 PM.

Best comment on Twitter:

Initial reports indicate the design idea was submitted by Vlad the Impaler.

Get it? “Vlad”

Comment

I think Mexico are going to ask for their money back, because they're paying for a wall - not slats.

Comment

Sneaky Mexicans. Always managing to find a l̶o̶o̶p̶ slathole.

Comment

If anyone has seen the current "wall" it is a 30ft high steel fence.

Comment

Walls are cool but not as cool to me as ICE presence in every agribusiness location in the country with accompanying deportation of unauthorized migrants and prosecution of their employers.

Then expand mandated reporting of all PD contact with individuals of questionable immigration status to ICE.

Physical barriers are needed but walls aren’t the singular answer to illegal immigration.

Comment

A terrible design for nesting birds

Comment

https://www.thegreenage.co.uk/articl...e-environment/

Apparently concrete is bad for the environment plus steel is recyclable so I'd say steel should I be in the business of building .

Comment

They can just fly in apparently thats the latest democrat deflect as to why a wall is useless. Their voters will non the less believe it.

Comment

Ha ha Chuck Schumer is an idiot!

Chuck Schumer Says Republicans Must ‘Abandon’ Wall In Order To Reopen Government

https://dailycaller.com/2018/12/22/s...=atdailycaller

Comment

Originally posted by Devil Child View Post
                      Walls are cool but not as cool to me as ICE presence in every agribusiness location in the country with accompanying deportation of unauthorized migrants and prosecution of their employers.

Then expand mandated reporting of all PD contact with individuals of questionable immigration status to ICE.

Physical barriers are needed but walls aren’t the singular answer to illegal immigration.
                      I like the idea of mandated reporting by PD, but I think we need a more comprehensive solution for agriculture.

Illegal workers from Mexico are integral for the viability of a substantial part of the ag business. Stricter enforcement against undocumented workers should be combined with reform to the immigration policy allowing for an easier and more streamlined process for farmers to get seasonal workers in here.

There should also be better enforcement against undocumented workers who break the terms of their seasonal employment and don't return back to Mexico at the end of the season, and federal enforcement against states and municipalities who refuse to uphold federal law and choose to harbor illegal immigrants.

Alternatively we can handpick the best workers and transfer them here on secure buses and ships and keep them on secure farms from which they can't escape until they're finished working and making America Great Again.
                      (just kidding)

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post
                        I like the idea of mandated reporting by PD, but I think we need a more comprehensive solution for agriculture.

Illegal workers from Mexico are integral for the viability of a substantial part of the ag business. Stricter enforcement against undocumented workers should be combined with reform to the immigration policy allowing for an easier and more streamlined process for farmers to get seasonal workers in here.

There should also be better enforcement against undocumented workers who break the terms of their seasonal employment and don't return back to Mexico at the end of the season, and federal enforcement against states and municipalities who refuse to uphold federal law and choose to harbor illegal immigrants.

Alternatively we can handpick the best workers and transfer them here on secure buses and ships and keep them on secure farms from which they can't escape until they're finished working and making America Great Again.
                        (just kidding)
                        To me that is just too much.

Illegals have been working in Texas since I was a kid, and probably before.

In the 90's seasonal farm workers came into Texas from Mexico. They worked in agriculture on farms near small communities, towns . Everyone knew they were illegal. After harvest immigration rounded them up and sent them home. Except when some farmer gave them a house to live on on his property, and protected them. Next year, repeat. And in the 2000 near where I live, illegals worked in open pit rock quarrying, or cotton gins, and everyone knew they were illegal. It isn't the people who work who are problems, but the people scamming the system and who think the American taxpayers owe them.

Something like the old bracero program, but not legalized slavery would be good.

Comment

Originally posted by Jonathan View Post

(just kidding)
                          Cowboy's daughter I believe the California GRU operative was using extremes for purposes of humor.

In large part I agree. When I mentioned agribusiness, like you, I see a need to have dual approach of improving guest worker program with enforcing the consequences of being here in violation of the law. Provide avenues for folks willing to work and boot the ones taking squatter's rights approach.

Comment

Mending Wall

BY ROBERT FROST

Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
                            That sends the frozen-ground-swell under it,
                            And spills the upper boulders in the sun;
                            And makes gaps even two can pass abreast.
                            The work of hunters is another thing:
                            I have come after them and made repair
                            Where they have left not one stone on a stone,
                            But they would have the rabbit out of hiding,
                            To please the yelping dogs. The gaps I mean,
                            No one has seen them made or heard them made,
                            But at spring mending-time we find them there.
                            I let my neighbour know beyond the hill;
                            And on a day we meet to walk the line
                            And set the wall between us once again.
                            We keep the wall between us as we go.
                            To each the boulders that have fallen to each.
                            And some are loaves and some so nearly balls
                            We have to use a spell to make them balance:
                            "Stay where you are until our backs are turned!"
                            We wear our fingers rough with handling them.
                            Oh, just another kind of out-door game,
                            One on a side. It comes to little more:
                            There where it is we do not need the wall:
                            He is all pine and I am apple orchard.
                            My apple trees will never get across
                            And eat the cones under his pines, I tell him.
                            He only says, "Good fences make good neighbours."
                            Spring is the mischief in me, and I wonder
                            If I could put a notion in his head:
                            "Why do they make good neighbours? Isn't it
                            Where there are cows? But here there are no cows.
                            Before I built a wall I'd ask to know
                            What I was walling in or walling out,
                            And to whom I was like to give offence.
                            Something there is that doesn't love a wall,
                            That wants it down." I could say "Elves" to him,
                            But it's not elves exactly, and I'd rather
                            He said it for himself. I see him there
                            Bringing a stone grasped firmly by the top
                            In each hand, like an old-stone savage armed.
                            He moves in darkness as it seems to me,
                            Not of woods only and the shade of trees.
                            He will not go behind his father's saying,
                            And he likes having thought of it so well
                            He says again, "Good fences make good neighbours."

Comment

Where Trump's border barriers will be built in 2019 — El Paso among completed projects
                              https://www.elpasotimes.com/story/ne...de/2414774002/
                              TUCSON, Ariz. — The new year will bring the first new U.S.-Mexico border barriers to be built under President Donald Trump's administration.

The administration has so far announced eight projects to build new fence or replace existing barriers. Three of the projects have been completed; two are underway. Three others will begin during 2019's first half, including areas of south Texas that previously had no barriers.

More new fencing could soon follow.

Comment

Working...
                              X