No announcement yet.

Voter Registration booms in Tennessee

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

At a turnout of 58% you would think, you would attempt to make it easier to vote, not harder.

Then again, maybe everything's working as intended, so why fix it.

Comment

Originally posted by budgie View Post

It's an excuse. You know this. Come on, you get it. I know you do.
      Thanks, I'll stick to using logic. The logic that says that people only do things if they expect it to be effective.

Comment

So now it’s 14% for Blackburn, Swift hump indeed.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKiwi View Post

Thanks, I'll stick to using logic. The logic that says that people only do things if they expect it to be effective.
          And I'll stick to facts and figures: they found only 31 cases of voter fraud in over a billion votes cast across decades of elections. 'Logic' tells me if those are the numbers the the 'voter fraud' scare is bullshit. 'Logic' tells me when Republicans say they want fewer voters then they enact laws to ensure just that, then that is their reason for doing so.

Almost nobody is committing voter fraud out there. The reason for that is it doesn't work. Obvious. Stop pretending it's happening to any relevant degree.

Pretend logic is no substitute for reality.
          Last edited by budgie; 13-10-2018, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HisRoyalHighness View Post
            So now it’s 14% for Blackburn, Swift hump indeed.
            I read that! All of these people registered to vote after Swift came out for Blackburn's opponent, something like 68,000, and lo and behold, they must have been Republicans!!

Comment

Don't know where those Tennessee numbers are from: the aggregate poll shows Blackburn has about a 6 point lead, not 14. I still expect that gap to tighten not widen on election day. Though I find even fivethirtyeight's optimism the Dems might win to be overly hopeful. It's a traditionally red state with the benefit of organized Republicans, voter suppression and gerrymandering. With only half of eligible voters expected to turn out it won't be enough to clear those three roadblocks.

Comment

It was from a New York Times poll.

Comment

And I'll stick to facts and figures: they found only 31 cases of voter fraud in over a billion votes cast across decades of elections. 'Logic' tells me if those are the numbers the the 'voter fraud' scare is bullshit. 'Logic' tells me when Republicans say they want fewer voters then they enact laws to ensure just that, then that is their reason for doing so.

Almost nobody is committing voter fraud out there. The reason for that is it doesn't work. Obvious. Stop pretending it's happening to any relevant degree.

Pretend logic is no substitute for reality.
                  That is cute. Would you use the statistics of only 1 in 100 rapes resulting in prosecution to claim that rape almost never happens? Yeah right. And nor would I. Based on the prevalence of fraud is all other sectors of society to pretend that politics is a magical theatre where it never happens is the height of naivety.

Comment

That is cute. Would you use the statistics of only 1 in 100 rapes resulting in prosecution to claim that rape almost never happens? Yeah right. And nor would I. Based on the prevalence of fraud is all other sectors of society to pretend that politics is a magical theatre where it never happens is the height of naivety.

Kavanaugh supporters don't get to play the rape card.

Fuck all evidence has been found of voter fraud. There are mountains of evidence to support that fact - including the president's own commission forced to disband in disgrace because it couldn't find any evidence of widespread fraud. That only a handful of rapes are reported is also very well documented. No connection.

Likewise the GOP position on why they try to suppress voters (and I don't see how de-registering millions of real voters prevents fraudsters; they would surely pose as registered voters if the claims had any merit) is not well documented has been pulled out of their ass.

it is a lot more naive (or willfully ignorant) to believe a GOP that has sought to disenfranchise minority voters for years is being honest about a reason they cannot even prove with official records. Voting statistics are not rape victims, they don't refuse to testify because they are afraid, ashamed or unsupported: it's right there in black and white.

Comment

It's OK, I get it. Politics is a magical lollypop land where none of the usual rules about the prevalence of fraud or other misbehaviours happen.

Electoral fraud is hard to detect - much like the regular kind. And much like the regular kind, it exists where-ever people perceive there to be a benefit from it.

Comment

It's OK, I get it. Politics is a magical lollypop land where none of the usual rules about the prevalence of fraud or other misbehaviours happen.

Electoral fraud is hard to detect - much like the regular kind. And much like the regular kind, it exists where-ever people perceive there to be a benefit from it.

Yes but even this barrel-scraping whataboutism in rape fails to deflect from the fact that those cases that have been detected are staggeringly low. they say fewer than 10% of sex crimes get reported. but voter fraud, at 31 in a billion is less than 0.001%. Come on by any measure that is a drop in the ocean. Time to stop pretending it's 'a thing'.

Even if it was I'd like to see how disenfranchising actual voters helps at all. It's like revoking every graduate's diploma because a handful lied on their resume. It's still just an excuse to take the right to vote off real voters.

Comment

Sigh! The rape numbers thing was an attempt to show to you that reported numbers don't actually mean as much as you think they do.

Voter fraud for a very long time wasn't a priority. I'd suggest that a big part of that is to do with the need of politicians to be able to claim that they legitimately represent their constituents. Start digging into fraud (and/or claiming fraud) and (much like the 2016 election) you now have a large chunk of the populace screaming loudly about how it's fake/fraud/not-my-president.

As with all things political, the usual story is to follow the screams. At the moment the loudest screams about how improper wanting people to have some basic form of ID to vote are from those with the most to lose. Meanwhile, I'll keep in mind that some form of basic ID is necessary to buy cigarettes and alcohol.

Past performance has very little to do with current or future behaviours.

Comment

Sigh! The rape numbers thing was an attempt to show to you that reported numbers don't actually mean as much as you think they do.
                            Made-up numbers mean even less.

And when the GOP have been caught on tape and in other communications - coded or overt - that they want to skew the numbers because they're running out of demographic breathing space, I think the reason is obvious. Deregistering people, cancelling early voting and absentee ballots, moving polling stations and demanding ID they know people don't have and never needed before are all a great way to stop minorities voting.

Claiming such hurdles are there to stop a nonexistent problem just rubs salt in the wound. The reason people scream loudest is not because they're fraudsters (indeed a fraudster would know when to shut up so as not incriminate himself; and could 53,000 voters denied registration in Georgia all be cheats all of a sudden?) but people afraid of losing their first amendment rights.

If only conservatives would defend votes as hard as they defend guns.

Comment

Made-up numbers mean even less.

And when the GOP have been caught on tape and in other communications - coded or overt - that they want to skew the numbers because they're running out of demographic breathing space, I think the reason is obvious. Deregistering people, cancelling early voting and absentee ballots, moving polling stations and demanding ID they know people don't have and never needed before are all a great way to stop minorities voting.

Claiming such hurdles are there to stop a nonexistent problem just rubs salt in the wound. The reason people scream loudest is not because they're fraudsters (indeed a fraudster would know when to shut up so as not incriminate himself; and could 53,000 voters denied registration in Georgia all be cheats all of a sudden?) but people afraid of losing their first amendment rights.

If only conservatives would defend votes as hard as they defend guns.
                              Translation: Why don’t you let the indentured serv... I mean undocumented immigrants vote and hold office?

Comment

Originally posted by HisRoyalHighness View Post
                                Translation: Why don’t you let the indentured serv... I mean undocumented immigrants vote and hold office?
                                No, just the 16 million American voters or so who have been disenfranchised.

And they're doing it now in Texas to help Republicans win. Purging is their election strategy, plain and simple.
                                Last edited by budgie; 15-10-2018, 10:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X