• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Trump to lift ban on higher-ethanol gasoline ahead of November elections

Trump to lift ban on higher-ethanol gasoline ahead of November elections
    Jarrett Renshaw, Humeyra Pamuk

https://www.reuters.com/article/us-u...-idUSKCN1MJ010

NEW YORK (Reuters) - U.S. President Donald Trump will seek to lift a federal ban on summer sales of higher-ethanol blends of gasoline on Tuesday, a senior White House official said, delivering on a move long-sought by anxious Midwest farmers ahead of November’s elections.

The American Petroleum Institute, the largest U.S. oil trade association, opposes lifting the ban, which would hurt their market share. They say E15 gasoline ruins older cars and potentially voids warranties, and have threatened to sue, arguing the EPA lacks the legal authority to strike the ban.

This is really very interesting!

Can E15 Gasoline Really Damage Your Engine?

Automakers have filed a lawsuit against the EPA's decision to make E15 (gasoline with 15 percent alcohol) legal for all cars after 2007. They argue that, among other problems, the blend could damage the engine. Wait, moonshiners used to run their cars on 190-proof hooch. Can ethanol really do damage to an engine? Yes. Here's how.

https://www.popularmechanics.com/car...damage-engine/

Yep. Off the cuff, I am against the raising of the alcohol percentage. It's already an issue having it in the gasoline for small engines and any time you aren't actively using the car for any period of time. Part of my routine for small engines now is to put alcohol neutralizer in the fuel container each time I fill it up. I'd hate to have to start doing that each time I fill up the car.

Comment

The easy solution is to sell both E-10 and E-15, like the local stations here do, and let the consumer decide or let the local station decide what it wants to sell, rather than having government mandates. That means that anything from 100% pure gas to E-85 would be available in any market. Just as an aside, when I run 100% pure gas in my car, I tend to get much better mileage.

Comment

Working...
      X