Hurricane Maria deaths faked by Dems?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hurricane Maria deaths faked by Dems?

So President Trump went off the rails and claimed the 3,000-odd deaths from the Puerto Rico storm was a number fabricated to make him look bad (when his own poll numbers should do the trick nicely anyway).

So is the president telling...
    The Truth
    38.46%
    A Lie
    61.54%

Budgie, I cannot in good faith cast a vote.

In the shithead's defense, he simply does not operate with such abstract and arbitrary concepts as truth and lies. If you believe something strongly in your tiny fifth- or sixth-grader mind, even if it's not even remotely associated with reality, is it really a lie?

9/11 came and went and for the first time, it felt like a distant memory to me. The one year anniversary of Maria came and went too, those 3,000 victims have also already become a distant memory. Even to the shithead himself. He went down there, signed a few paper-towels and tossed them into the crowd: He shooot, he scooores! Great little photo op and then jetted back to the links for a quick five hour golf break.

Mission accomplished.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargin View Post
      Budgie, I cannot in good faith cast a vote.

In the shithead's defense, he simply does not operate with such abstract and arbitrary concepts as truth and lies. If you believe something strongly in your tiny fifth- or sixth-grader mind, even if it's not even remotely associated with reality, is it really a lie?

9/11 came and went and for the first time, it felt like a distant memory to me. The one year anniversary of Maria came and went too, those 3,000 victims have also already become a distant memory. Even to the shithead himself. He went down there, signed a few paper-towels and tossed them into the crowd: He shooot, he scooores! Great little photo op and then jetted back to the links for a quick five hour golf break.

Mission accomplished.

Good point. But it's not so much what's going on in Trump's head I'd like people to vote on, just whether or not they themselves believe 3,000 people died: i.e; whether everything Trump says must be believed by the faithful and facts can be changed for them on command, or if they're willing to call him out when reality rears its ugly head.

Whether trump himself believes what he says will remain a mystery.

So really you'd just be voting on the number: 3,000 deaths, true or false?
      Last edited by budgie; 13-09-2018, 02:14 PM.

Comment

And... I fucked up my vote.

You happy now.

Comment

Originally posted by Fargin View Post
          And... I fucked up my vote.

You happy now.
          Good sport

Comment

I voted for "a lie", but I've missed the "and what sort of incompetent shit show government are they running on that island where they could fuck up counting dead people so badly" option.

Going from 64 to 3000 (46 times higher) and only getting there when an outsider group did the counting suggests that the governance of Puerto Rico is so incompetent they shouldn't be in charge of string, let along an island of 3.3 million.

Seriously, I mean clearly FEMA where doing their usual shit job at disaster support. But equally clearly there was an underlying issue of incompetence and incapability already in existence. It's not like the Caribbean doesn't get hit by Hurricanes every single year.

Comment

It's quite usual for death tolls to make considerable jumps over time, as it is not particularly easy to define causes of death in that type of scenario. If an overweight person has a heart attack while hiding in fear in a storm shelter, is it the storm that killed them or the 200 pounds of excess fat on their body? And if someone's reported missing but no one knows what's happened to them – were they washed away by the storm or happened to be kidnapped that exact same day?

The way how statisticians deal with this element of uncertainty is as follows (and indeed the island government has based its claims on an University of Washingston study conducted accordingly, according to the news):

A bunch of statisticians sift through all death certificates to come up with a long-term average. For argument's sake, lets pretend they observe that in an average week 100 Puerto Ricans die from all kinds of causes. Now that figure is compared to the e.g. 200 death certificates per week issued after the storm, yielding a weekly excess of 100 deaths. That excess is attributed to the most likely cause, i.e. the hurricane. It's not the most precise of gauges, but it's been used over and over again by statisticians and reinsurances companies all over the world.

In other words, Trump's a flame-baiting idiot.

Comment

Yes it's not unusual for there to be a big increase. What IS unusual is that it took an external party to work it out as apparently record keeping in Puerto Rico is one of those "oh we'll get around to that tomorrow, maybe next week" kind of things. Let me put it to you this way, if 3,000 people died in a natural disaster in Germany, how long would it take to not only come up with a figure but have every single one of them named and listed?

Puerto Rico took months to even get to a figure (and again, only because an external party got involved).

Comment

Remember all those terrorists attacks that happened under the last administration? How it wasn't Obama's fault the media said and budgie shook his head agreement so much his eyeballs fell out?

Comment

Trump Honors Only One Victim in Puerto Rico: Himself
                    https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/13/o...gtype=Homepage

Mr. Trump seems incapable of processing new information or learning from mistakes. Instead, he did what he always does: reject inconvenient data in favor of a story in which he is the hero. In the president’s view, increases in the official death toll cannot possibly stem from a more comprehensive analysis. They must stem from yet another conspiracy by his political enemies. The 3,000 lives lost, in other words, are all about him.

Comment

Seriously who are the blind jokes who voted for "the truth"
                      The toll comes from a scientific report, available and which methodology is explained within

https://drive.google.com/file/d/16X9...fH59i9/preview

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/...-deaths-823034

People "can" argue on direct and indirect casualties if they want to split the hair just for the sake of defending the Leader MaximOrange

Just remember that same methods were applied to 9/11
                      Even 10 y laters people dying of the aftermath effects (toxins and dust intake) are counted into 9/11 casualties
                      "Weirdely" nobody is questioning the numbers there

This POTUS is a broke joke and people defending him on this subject are not better than him
                      Last edited by Mordoror; 14-09-2018, 04:10 AM.

Comment

I’m not going to defend Trump over this one. It’s not only flame baiting but just attention whoring. Me me me vs the dreaded MSM. He isn’t the Messiah, make mistakes and occasionally spread a fair share of BS.

Regarding the topic I have no idea how many lives were lost to Maria. I’m sure it doesn’t serve some leftist agenda for a change however.

Comment

Well, the media flat out lied about Katrina and that's a proven fact (see Pop Mech archives for the engineering eval of the event). I see nothing in their conduct to show they've changed their ways.

Comment

Well, let's focus on the current hurricane for a moment...

Another hurricane is about to batter our coast. Trump is complicit.
                            https://www.washingtonpost.com/opini...=.371dd0cf6219

The God Emperor Trump.

Comment

Originally posted by RobertKLR View Post
                              Well, the media flat out lied about Katrina and that's a proven fact (see Pop Mech archives for the engineering eval of the event). I see nothing in their conduct to show they've changed their ways.
                              The difference is that the medias are basing their reports on a field study made by scientists. They don't get their numbers out of nowhere. You can call what they are reporting hyperboles, overstatement about the responsabilities or whatever about the tone used. Facts remain that over-mortality after the Hurricane was around 3K. Numbers cannot be twisted (even if the meaning of the numbers can)
                              So Trump denying the fact remains laughable (not the first time, not the last time)

Comment

Working...
                              X