Greece expels Russian diplomats and bans entry

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Greece expels Russian diplomats and bans entry

Greece will expel two Russian diplomats and ban entry to another two over suspicions they tried to undermine an agreement between Athens and the neighboring Macedonia last month, Greek newspaper Kathimerini reported, citing diplomatic sources.

Russia’s foreign ministry said it would respond in kind to the expulsions, Interfax news agency reported. A Greek foreign ministry official declined to make an immediate comment.

Greece accused the Russian diplomats of activities inconsistent with their status, including illegal activities against national security, Kathimerini reported on Wednesday.

The Athens authorities ordered the expulsions and bans after perceived attempts by the Russian diplomats to undermine an agreement Greece brokered with the former Yugoslav republic of Macedonia last month which ended a decades-old diplomatic standoff over its name, the newspaper added.

The deal between Greece and Macedonia is expected to ease the admission of the small but strategically-important state into NATO, in a region where Russia and the West are jostling for influence.

more: https://www.reuters.com/article/us-g...-idUSKBN1K10PU

I don't know about this... I'm sure that if we ask Putin he would tell us that this is not true.

What would Russia gain from all this. /sarcasm

P.S. It's good that the two countries can find a way to move forward with their dispute.
    Last edited by BogT; 18-07-2018, 01:50 AM. Reason: added the obvious

Comment

I wonder how much China paid?

Comment

Originally posted by BogT View Post
        I don't know about this... I'm sure that if we ask Putin he would tell us that this is not true.

What would Russia gain from all this. /sarcasm
        Well here it's pretty obvious what Russia would gain from it - a further delay in the expansion of NATO.
        Don't tie it to your fairytales of Russian cyberattacks on European infrastructure, Brexit, Catalonian independence, American elections, etc... will you please?

P.S. It's good that the two countries can find a way to move forward with their dispute.
        Resolving disputes is always good for the world - but it's bad that Macedonia is entering NATO despite most of its population being against it; driven by a corrupt political elite and an EU that went to all sorts of trouble to get their man Zaev inserted as PM there.

Comment

Originally posted by flamming_python View Post
          Resolving disputes is always good for the world - but it's bad that Macedonia is entering NATO despite most of its population being against it; driven by a corrupt political elite and an EU that went to all sorts of trouble to get their man Zaev inserted as PM there.
          NATO offers big paychecks to those who helps expand it I guess?

Comment

Well here it's pretty obvious what Russia would gain from it - a further delay in the expansion of NATO.
            Yes, that's obvious, which is why expelling the diplomats is fine in my book. The jab was directed elsewhere.

Resolving disputes is always good for the world - but it's bad that Macedonia is entering NATO despite most of its population being against it...
            That's not true: https://web.archive.org/web/20111005...id=&djcatid=90

Overall, entry into NATO was backed by 85.2% of citizens in the Balkan state, showed the survey by the independent Institute for Democracy.
            Only 30% of Macedonians would support North Atlantic Treaty Organization membership if joining the alliance meant having to change the country’s name to suit Greece
            This tells me that this is a situation where politicians need to grow a pair and make the unpopular decision: changing the name. That's the unpopular move, not joining NATO.

What about democracy and people's will, you may ask. You do not resolve disputes through compromises based on people's "feelings". Same as making a peace treaty for example.

This is a chance for Macedonia to move forward. Otherwise they will forever be blocked by Greece to join NATO, EU, WTO, etc.

I'm more surprised that Greece is OK with this compromise name of North Macedonia and not insisting it be called Skopje.

Comment

Geoffrey Pyatt's work in Greece seems to pay off.

Originally posted by BogT View Post
              That is a poll from 2008. Don't you have something more recent?

Comment

Working...
              X