‘Unmasking Antifa Act' includes 15-year prison term proposal

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ‘Unmasking Antifa Act' includes 15-year prison term proposal

The "Unmasking Antifa Act of 2018," legislation introduced in the House, carries a potential 15-year prison sentence for those caught engaging in behaviors typically associated with the "antifa" movement of anti-fascist activists.

Under the act, anyone "wearing a mask" or in disguise who "injures, oppresses, threatens, or intimidates any person ... in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege" would be subject to a fine or up to 15 years in prison.

The bill was introduced in the House last month but received renewed attention on Tuesday after alt-right personality Mike Cernovich encouraged his followers to call their representatives and "let them know what you think" about the legislation.
    http://thehill.com/homenews/house/39...m-proposal?amp

As much as I like this because fuck those commie fascists, I have reservations because of potential abuse due to vagueness. That being said, as long as it’s enforced like the Klan Acts, there shouldn’t be too much of an issue.

Let’s see what Vice thinks of it:

Antifa Activists Are Freaking Out About a Proposed 'Unmasking' Law
    The bill targets antifascist and anarchist protesters who use "black bloc" tactics to challenge the alt-right.
    Last month, while the federal government was still pursuing felony riot charges against some Trump inauguration protestors, US Congressman Daniel M. Donovan opened a new front in the battle against radical left-wing protest in America. That's when the Republican, who represents parts of South Brooklyn and the cop haven that is Staten Island, introduced a bill to the House of Representatives called H.R. 6054. The proposed law would enhance penalties for anyone who interferes with another person's "protected rights" while wearing a disguise. After news of the bill made its way onto some subreddits on Tuesday, it spread across Twitter, causing a fair number of activists across America to exert a collective: "What the fuck?"
    "H.R. 6054 takes a pro-fascist stance in its very name, and doubtlessly in its enforcement," Carmichael Monaco, a member of the Metropolitan Anarchist Coordinating Council, a New York City-based activist group, told me Tuesday. "In the current political climate, antifascists who speak out against fascism, racism, xenophobia, etc. are routinely harassed, threatened, and attacked by the far right, often supported by the police, who are notably exempted here. Families and friends of antifascists also become targets of far right violence. The wearing of a mask is an act of self-defense often necessary to ensure one's right to free speech." (We reached out to Donovan's office for comment on the bill and will update if we hear back.)
    That rarely applied 1845 New York state law was cited as basis for arresting some masked Occupy Wall Street protestors in 2011. But the new and worrying trend here for people like Monaco is the strategy of repurposing a tactic meant to fight racists for the arrest of people on the opposite side of the ideological spectrum. This isn't just speculation: In August 2017, an Arizona lawmaker said he wanted to use unmasking laws to go after Antifa protestors by explicitly comparing them to the KKK.
    https://www.vice.com/en_us/article/b...-unmasking-law

Yep, as expected.
    Last edited by HisRoyalHighness; 10-07-2018, 10:47 PM.

Well, antifa thinks anyone who isn't them is fascist . I think it's a good law. If you want to protest, be brave enough to show your face!

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy's daughter View Post
      Well, antifa thinks anyone who isn't them is fascist . I think it's a good law. If you want to protest, be brave enough to show your face!

Antifa changed the brown shirt for a black hoodie without a arm band, same fascists just a different outfit..
      Last edited by Hollis; 11-07-2018, 09:36 PM.

Comment

It's with some sadness and some joy, I see the post-Charlottesville narrative have taken root and bloomed so beautifully here in the mess. It's been exactly a year, a long year, but the Orwellian rationale of that tragic weekend made a lasting impression. How was it, it went again?

"The Nazis are not the nazis. The people against the nazis are the nazis."

The black hoodies always stayed true to their black hoodies and the #MSM #FakeNews sure liked to photograph their overturned trashcans.

However the brown shirts... It was the brown shirts, who in a stroke of pure PR-genius exchanged their brown shirts for the white polos, tiki-torches and red hats.Embolden and bravely showing their faces in Charlottesville, their swastikas, their tactical gear and sexy AR-platforms, that convince the Charlottesville PD to piss their pants and stand idly by, while the good people of Charlottesville had to rely of these silly vegans in black hoodies, to shield them from knuckledusters and Dodge Challengers. Man... has it really only been a year? A year and three days.

Now hear me: The healthier parts of me obviously hates to see the fabric of Western society being ripped apart by foreign agents and willing collaborators, who openly solicited criminal activity to gain power, but as many of you also know, I have a certain weakness for the absurdities of life and I do appreciate, that the same sentiment, that alarmed us about Obama's affordable euthanasia camps for the sick and elderly, the same are now embracing vague legislation in order to throw refugees and asylum seekers in federal prison, their toddlers in kennels and put political opponents away for 15 years.

It's been a ride, a lifetime really.

From the towers fell... and to what became of us.

Comment

The bill is the same as the Klan Act meaning you can’t be “protesting” with a mask which translates to you can’t be clobbering people with a bike lock nor burning down limos with your face covered unless you want 15 years added to your charges.

Boo Hoo.

Comment

Pretty sure the last time I saw someone say
            ha ha plod, you can't arrest me, I'm wearing a mask
            the bastard went ahead and arrested them anyway...
            Originally posted by Fargin View Post
            "The Nazis are not the nazis. The people against the nazis are the nazis."
            Something along the lines of gaze too long into the abyss and the abyss will gaze back into you...
            Last edited by TheKiwi; 11-07-2018, 08:17 PM.

Comment

Nazis are not nazis, they are social justice warriors. Insuring the purity of our civilization.

Comment

Under the act, anyone "wearing a mask" or in disguise who "injures, oppresses, threatens, or intimidates any person ... in the free exercise or enjoyment of any right or privilege" would be subject to a fine or up to 15 years in prison.

I'd have thought this was illegal anyway regardless of whether there's a mark worn?

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy's daughter View Post
                  Well, antifa thinks anyone who isn't them is fascist .
                  Which is quite ironic.
                  But they are too stupid to grasp it themselves.

Comment

Antifa also thinks nazis are nazis, which around this place seems to be equally offensive.

Comment

Well there is the Antifa and the Antifa. One is a legit concept the other is a collecting basin for chaotic and oftenly aggressive haters, most oftenly the world is unfair to them so they have their "enemy" which in essence is the society as it is now.

Because of that they have to find "Nazis" everwhere as a confirmation.

I knew some in my youth and still know some today - they are not active but some remnants of the past still sympathising.

They do not work and despise everything from the "normal" society but live off the "normals".

Pretty disturbing characters having distanced themselves quite a lot from the original Antifa ideas.

The real Antifa should be tolerant and include everyone, also conservatives, because they are also no Nazis.

PS: Most of these modern groups are watched by authorities because they accept violence and use it. They are also subsumised under the extreme left.

Just look at Hamburg on 1st May or Berlin. They indiscriminetely torch all the "evil capitalist" cars and shit be it from a worker or banker they don't care.

After that super Antifascist action they go to McDonalds to have a burger

Comment

Originally posted by Fargin View Post
                        Antifa also thinks nazis are nazis, which around this place seems to be equally offensive.
                        They also think anyone who opposes their criminal behavior is a Nazi.

Comment

Nah...

If it walks like a nazi

And talks like a nazi

If you hear hoofbeats in Charlottesville,
                          don't think of horses, think nazee-brahs.

Comment

A good article only in German about the leftist scene in Hamburg. And how they remain relatvely unbothered.

https://www.nzz.ch/international/zum...gen-ld.1403162

All set around the Rote Flora a leftist joint where all turmoil starts and is planned.

A public search for rioters was unexpectedly successful 850 persons have been identified.

The last G20 riots had hundreds of injured and millions in damages.

Which fascists were they battling there?

Comment

The only good Nazi is a dead one.

The only good antifa also is a dead one.

I fully endorse these people to beat them self up to death, in the meantime I will grab the popcorn 🍿.

Comment

Working...
                              X