Illegal border crossing would become felony offense under proposed GOP bill

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Illegal border crossing would become felony offense under proposed GOP bill

First time offenders who come into the U.S. illegally are generally charged with a misdemeanor – but a new bill aims to change that.

Legislation introduced by Rep. Diane Black, R-Tenn., Tuesday would make illegal entry into the U.S. a felony offense, something she said would act as a “disincentive” to people who are thinking of crossing the border.

“The United States government should never prioritize illegal immigrants over American citizens,” Black said in a statement. “By no longer creating incentives to come to our country unlawfully, we also discourage families from sending their children on an often dangerous journey to reach our southern border.”

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018...-gop-bill.html

I'm going to say pass it. Surely it would deter people coming here illegally.

Why should people who come here illegally be given a break above people who immigrate here legally?

And as I understand it, if people want to apply for asylum, there are ports of entry where they can .

Comment

Will that mean gaol in the US for a number of years or immediate deportation ?

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy's daughter View Post
        I'm going to say pass it. Surely it would deter people coming here illegally.
        you mean like the "war on drugs"?

Comment

Originally posted by sgt_g View Post

you mean like the "war on drugs"?
          You have a war on drugs in Mexico, and then you have illegals, including ms 13 gang members attempting to cross the border illegally into the US. Make it a first time felony. Works for me. Immigrate here legally, like so many have and do. or apply for asylum at a port of entry where you are supposed to.
          The cartels /coyotes don't care if they get caught, they got their money. they will take their money, water, etc, and leave them to die in the desert. if not for the US Border Control agents finding and rescuing them. I'm sure the scum cartels and coyotes are not telling them that if they get caught what will happen

Comment

but you get what I'm saying, billions of dollars wasted just like any government act as of recent with little to no results. We continue to restrict and regulate the problem or use the term reform but god help us if some senator turned around and said "look the way we've been running this sucks, let's just scrap the whole thing and come up with a better workable way of immigration, no one does that they just stack idea upon idea and maybe take a paragraph out here and there...

Comment

but you get what I'm saying, billions of dollars wasted just like any government act as of recent with little to no results. We continue to restrict and regulate the problem or use the term reform but god help us if some senator turned around and said "look the way we've been running this sucks, let's just scrap the whole thing and come up with a better workable way of immigration, no one does that they just stack idea upon idea and maybe take a paragraph out here and there...
              I don't know what "better way" you can have, other than apprehending illegals on our borders. I have no idea about a "better workable way of immigration" for people coming from Mexico, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua and their neighboring countries. They are fleeing 1. poverty, and 2. cartel violence

I don't know how many persons the USA can support economically, when there are many of our own the Government is not supporting economically. or is cutting payments to Medicare, etc

Just looking at reports, there are, it seems to me, a lot of Ms 13, and other gang members coming from Mexico into Texas, apprehended at the border.

Many of them are not women and children, many of them are not family units, many of them are fully-grown men, with gang membership, and criminal histories.

We might could do something like the old Bracero program for workers, as long as it isn't legalized slavery.
              Last edited by Cowboy's daughter; 11-07-2018, 01:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bfc1001 View Post
                Will that mean gaol in the US for a number of years or immediate deportation ?
                Idk, perhaps immediately deport, with the knowledge if apprehended again it's prison. It's awful.

Comment

So, what is being talked about is making it a felony instead of a misdemeanor. first x.

Is it a Crime to Enter The U.S. Illegally?
                  Illegal entry (or "improper entry") to the US carries criminal penalties (fines and jail or prison time), in addition to civil penalties and immigration consequences (deportation and bars from future entry).
                  http://www.alllaw.com/articles/nolo/...illegally.html
                  updated by Ilona Bray, J.D.

Whether it’s by crossing the U.S. border with a "coyote" or buying a fake U.S. passport, a foreign national who enters the U.S. illegally can be both convicted of a crime and held responsible for a civil violation under the U.S. immigration laws. Illegal entry also carries consequences for anyone who might later attempt to apply for a green card or other immigration benefit.

The penalties and consequences get progressively more severe if a person enters illegally more than once, or enters illegally after an order of removal (deportation) or having been convicted of an aggravated felony.
                  What Is Illegal Entry?

U.S. immigration law actually uses the term "improper entry," which has a broad meaning. It’s more than just slipping across the U.S. border at an unguarded point. Improper entry can include:

entering or attempting to enter the United States at any time or place other than one designated by U.S. immigration officers (in other words, away from a border inspection point or other port of entry)
                  eluding examination or inspection by U.S. immigration officers (people have tried everything from digging tunnels to hiding in the trunk of a friend’s car), or
                  attempting to enter or obtain entry to the United States by a willfully false or misleading representation or willful concealment of a material fact (which might include, for example, lying on a visa application or buying a false green card or other entry document).

(See Title 8, Section 1325 of the U.S. Code (U.S.C.), or Section 275 of the Immigration and Nationality Act (I.N.A.) for the exact statutory language - http://www.uscis.gov/laws/immigratio...ationality-act.)
                  Criminal Penalties for Improper Entry

For the first improper entry offense, the person can be fined (as a criminal or civil penalty), or imprisoned for up to six months, or both. This is considered a misdemeanor under federal law (18 U.S.C.A. § 3559).

For a subsequent offense, or a reentry (or attempted reentry) after exclusion or deportation, the person can be fined or imprisoned for up to two years, or both. (See 8 U.S.C. Section 1325, 1326, I.N.A. Section 275, 276.) This is considered a low-level felony under federal law (18 U.S.C.A. § 3559).
                  Criminal Penalties for Unlawful Reentry

In case the above penalties aren't enough to deter illegal U.S. entrants, a separate section of the law adds felony penalties for reentry (or attempted reentry) in cases where the person had been convicted of certain types of crimes and thus removed (deported) from the U.S., as follows:

(1) People removed for a conviction of three or more misdemeanors involving drugs, crimes against the person, or both, or a felony (other than an aggravated felony), shall be fined, imprisoned for up to ten years, or both.

(2) People removed for a conviction of an aggravated felony shall be fined, imprisoned for up to 20 years, or both.

(3) People who were excluded or removed from the United States for security reasons shall be fined, and imprisoned for up to ten years, which sentence shall not run concurrently with any other sentence.

(4) Nonviolent offenders who were removed from the United States before their prison sentence was up shall be fined, imprisoned for up to ten years, or both.

What’s more, someone deported before a prison sentence was complete may be incarcerated for the remainder of the sentence of imprisonment, without any reduction for parole or supervised release.

(See 8 U.S.C. Section 1326, I.N.A. Section 276(b).)
                  Civil Penalties

Entry (or attempted entry) at a place other than one designated by immigration officers can carry civil penalties instead of or on top of criminal penalties. The amount is at least $50 and not more than $250 for each such entry (or attempted entry); or twice that amount if the illegal entrant has been previously fined a civil penalty for the same violation. (See 8 U.S.C. Section 1325, I.N.A. Section 275.)

more at link

Comment

I don't know what "better way" you can have, other than apprehending illegals on our borders. I have no idea about a "better workable way of immigration" for people coming from Mexico, Honduras, El Salvador, Nicaragua and their neighboring countries.
                    the better way is simply this

felony background check, country of origin and US. priors? sorry no go

30 day crash course on US history, the good, the bad, and the ugly

pay a reasonable fee (the fee now I hear is ungodly)

1 year of some form of civil service, be it military, cleaning freeways, hell dogcatcher for all I care

Comment

the better way is simply this

felony background check, country of origin and US. priors? sorry no go

30 day crash course on US history, the good, the bad, and the ugly

pay a reasonable fee (the fee now I hear is ungodly)

1 year of some form of civil service, be it military, cleaning freeways, hell dogcatcher for all I care

Why would we want to allow everyone who comes here illegally, if they don't qualify for asylum, to enter the country?

There are other persons from other countries who want to immigrate here legally.

Comment

Rubio
                        "A million people a year come into the U.S. legally. No other country even comes close to that figure."

— Marco Rubio on Monday, June 18th, 2012 in an interview on Fox News
                        True
                        Marco Rubio says U.S. admits 1 million immigrants a year, far more than any nation

http://www.politifact.com/florida/st...immigrants-ye/

Comment

Why would we want to allow everyone who comes here illegally, if they don't qualify for asylum, to enter the country?

There are other persons from other countries who want to immigrate here legally.
                          ok so? i'm saying the immigration process here sucks badly, most people want to just work and go on with life and with the others, criminal record? commit a crime? back to wherever you came from not none of this prison industrial complex detainment crap...

and on the same coin we don't need to grant every swinging dick asylum either, maybe if we stopped bringing other nations freedom at the end of a gun barrel wed have less of a refugee crisis

Comment

ok so? i'm saying the immigration process here sucks badly, most people want to just work and go on with life and with the others, criminal record? commit a crime? back to wherever you came from not none of this prison industrial complex detainment crap...

and on the same coin we don't need to grant every swinging dick asylum either, maybe if we stopped bringing other nations freedom at the end of a gun barrel wed have less of a refugee crisis
                            Well, again, here's the problem, imho, why would we allow everyone who wants to come here to work, from south of the border, to come here and work? Unless we have some kind of system like the old bracero program, that regulates the workers??? how many and who can come in, and for what length of time..

Comment

An interesting idea, this thought of making it a felony offense. The act of crossing the border illegally shroud at least be a criminal misdemeanor, in my mind.

A neat side effect of making it a felony?

1. The illegal crosser, when convicted, would not be able to vote if ever made a citizen.
                              2. The same person would not be abl to purchase/possess a gun.

Ha, ha....

Comment

Working...
                              X