Scott Pruitt has resigned as EPA administrator

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Scott Pruitt has resigned as EPA administrator

personally I think the EPA should be removed altogether, with it's botching of several pipelines, the BP oil spill, and the river poisoning in Colorado trying to fill a mine and that's just recent memory...
    EPA Administrator Scott Pruitt has resigned, President Trump tweeted Thursday. His resignation comes after months of controversy and ethical questions.

The guy was crooked as hell. He really stood out even in an admin as corrupt as this.

As for abolishing the EPA, dumb idea. Reform perhaps but any civilized democracy needs an environmental watchdog not beholden to corporate lobbyists.

Comment

ah reform...which in polispeak means "hey we need more government to fix government so that it still doesn't work but is bigger

no the EPA did ok till after the Carter era, it's time for it to go like the DOE, ATF and a handful of other useless alphabet agencies

Comment

Originally posted by budgie View Post
        The guy was crooked as hell. He really stood out even in an admin as corrupt as this.

As for abolishing the EPA, dumb idea. Reform perhaps but any civilized democracy needs an environmental watchdog not beholden to corporate lobbyists.
        Hahahaha. Yes he was crooked. He was following the high level of exemplary behaviour set by all the previous EPA heads. And he managed to accomplish some good. Not least of which (and the one that has group-think people crying into their beards the most) he banned the use of scientific research where the raw data was not made available in setting EPA standards. Because as we all know, secret science is the best kind of science.

Hopefully his successor will carry on down this path of smacking the crap of the EPA's kleptocrats.

Comment

Originally posted by sgt_g View Post
          ah reform...which in polispeak means "hey we need more government to fix government so that it still doesn't work but is bigger

no the EPA did ok till after the Carter era, it's time for it to go like the DOE, ATF and a handful of other useless alphabet agencies
          Issue is that free market/libertarian market self regulation is also a wet dream
          Human tendency is for greed
          Without regulations oil spills, water pollution, air pollution will increase, not decrease
          If anything, EPA while present did a job. A poor one in several instances (go drink water around Flint and tell me how it works for your health) but still a job nonetheless

Comment

The EPA were the very definition of a rogue agency. They ignored laws, paid NGO's to sue them so they could be 'forced' into doing things they wanted to do but Congress wouldn't let then, refused to do basic cost vs. benefit analysis and refused to comply with FOIA requests.

It's a good thing they are being stomped on right now.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKiwi View Post
              The EPA were the very definition of a rogue agency. They ignored laws, paid NGO's to sue them so they could be 'forced' into doing things they wanted to do but Congress wouldn't let then, refused to do basic cost vs. benefit analysis and refused to comply with FOIA requests.

It's a good thing they are being stomped on right now.
              I am not questioning your view of the EPA. Like any huge agency, it becomes a predatory one that needs to be borderline outlaw/crooked to exist. That's true for all big agencies past a certain critical mass (from UN agencies to NATO).
              I am questioning the idea that self regulation by the corporates without gov agencies to overwatch them would be more efficient and without detriment to the customer be it at price, health, ecological or cost/benefit level
              I mean it is not the examples of misdeeds, carelessness and up to voluntary spills/polution/mismanagement in order to increase shares benefits that are lacking....

Comment

I think the term is 'noble cause corruption'. They got so caught up in how important their role was that they considered themselves no longer subject to laws or controls.

Comment

Originally posted by Mordoror View Post

Issue is that free market/libertarian market self regulation is also a wet dream
                  I agree with you on this as well, I know there's no silver bullet to fix it, but thinking a gangrenous leg will just heal with more gangrene is also ridiculous...

http://theantimedia.com/andrew-wheeler-epa/

Comment

When it comes to the "swamp", the cronyism, the creation of a pseudo royal dynasty completely with courtiers and all, this administration isn't an iota better than the Clintons, Bushs and Kennedys that had come before them. No offense, but in this regard I just can't empathize with the average Trump voter. I'm 90% on board with the ideology, I could've easily voted Trump, but the moment he made his children and son-in-law quasi-government officials it'd been the end of it for me.

Comment

Trump's EPA will still be a bunch of corrupt shills working for corporate polluters:

http://nymag.com/daily/intelligencer...-leukemia.html

It's not just the so-called climate change 'hoax': These guys don't want any regulation to protect the environment or people whatsoever. they want to go back a hundred years when they could pollute and expolit freely and profit while society bears the costs.

Comment

Ah conspiracy theories no less. I like it. Next up: Proof that it was only the EPA approved mind-control chemtrails in the aircraft fuel on 9/11 that made it hot enough to melt steel.

Originally posted by Budgie
                        EPA will still be a bunch of corrupt shills
                        You got that bit right, no matter who is sitting in the Whitehouse.

Comment

He was basically going to get shitcanned for being a gigantic asshole, not necessarily because of any of his policies. A $40,000.00 "cone of silence" in his office? Really?

Comment

Originally posted by budgie View Post

It's not just the so-called climate change 'hype': These guys don't want any regulation to protect the environment or people whatsoever. they want to go back a hundred years when they could pollute and expolit freely and profit while society bears the costs.
                            FIFY

you got one side saying hoax but the other side hypes it up we were supposed to be waterworld by 1980 then a barren desert by 1990, 4 years ago i shoulve invested in a parka but i'm melting my brains out in 115 degree heat...

besides that everything we try to do cleaning the planet China and the far east ramp up, Obama did shit with Flint, simply fined the BP oil spill chump change, and decided against a beer summit with standing rock.

sure the planet is changing, everything changes and ages, but how the propaganda from both sides goes I should've been dead by bacon and smoking by 1802 or I'm gonna be the immortal...

Comment

Working...
                            X