No announcement yet.

Seattle’s City Council Surrenders, Will Repeal Head Tax It Passed Last Month

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Seattle’s City Council Surrenders, Will Repeal Head Tax It Passed Last Month

Love it. The liberals eating their own. I guess Jeff Bezos doesn't like paying his fair share in taxes.

Comment

Weak pussies..... They should have stuck to their guns for the common man!

Comment

Originally posted by riderboy View Post
        Love it. The liberals eating their own. I guess Jeff Bezos doesn't like paying his fair share in taxes.
        He doesn't.

Comment

Bezo's has done more for me (and mankind) than Seattle city could do in 20 lifetimes.

Comment

I don't know what's going on and I am too tired to care. Especially about Seattle, which will be destroyed by a Volcano (it's in the path of Mt Rainiers lahar), in the future anyway.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKiwi View Post
              Bezo's has done more for me (and mankind) than Seattle city could do in 20 lifetimes.
              You and me both! . Hahaha

I just ran into some muppet who told me Jeff Bezos personally preys on folks who receive food stamps and/or on low income.

The problem with evil e-commerce brainwashing narrative(which has some truth to it in terms of highly targeted big data marketing the company has been developing since my days there) is that Amazon has done more for collapsing retail pricing across the board than any company since Wal-Mart.

Prices consumers pay for goods has collapsed considerably.

The real problem is the very rough metric that for every billion dollars of potential profit Amazon could make(estimate), it eats 3 billion in actual physical retail profit business and 1 million actual retail jobs, like the Borg.

So from the consumer’a viewpoint, Amazon is the greatest thing in history(I’m a bit biased).

From a local/state/federal legislator’s viewpoint Amazon is eating old economy jobs and tax base faster than the new economy can reinvent new jobs and new tax base.

There is a growing economic disconnect resulting in the weak, the mediocre, and even some of the average getting thrown to the new economy wolves because the weak, the mediocre, and the average do not create/capture value for employers and/or themselves in the new economy.

And that includes legislators trying to find new revenue streams.

I expect to see the same cr@p they do in New York and Chicago...special taxes.......hotel room tax, rental car tax, sugar tax, airport passenger tax, etc.

Expect Airbnb tax, Uber tax, Instacart tax, Ubereats tax, streaming tax.

You can’t tax bicycles(yet), but they could easily put a transaction tax on the small but fast growing urban scooter rental market.

If it moves or generates revenue, it will be taxed.

Comment

Originally posted by TheKiwi View Post
                I just bought two items on line that would have taken me forever to find driving around retail stores. Two sheet metal clamps and a fabric swatch for a sofa that one of our dogs chewed a hole in. One on Amazon, one on eBay. Tough to be in retail these days.

Comment

It is interesting. You cannot find some fiddly hardware things, car parts, or other items, in stores anymore; or the vendors want you to buy them through their online portal and have them shipped for home delivery or free pickup at the local retail location.

A mixture of the ultra-low inventory model ascribed to in the last decade or so, plus the attempt to provide quick services. Last summer, I had a dickens of a time getting the right oil filter wrench from various car parts dealers. Surprisingly, I found it "in store" at the local Sears in the mall. Easy-peasy, but a remnant of an old model of business I fear.

Comment

On the other hand Seattle would have offered those companies sweetheart subsidies. Or whatever other city doing the same.

https://www.seattletimes.com/seattle...zon-turns-out/

No mom and pop stores ever go that... morel likely a boot in the guts for late rates.
                    Fairly educated business people. Of course they move on and bump.

Now they talk about taxing the big automated companies to subsidize those that they unemployed.

The bottom line. The now tangible low wages and homeless. That's fairly incredible that that they exist still after trillions of the cheapest money around in history for a decade.
                    Some 300 trillion in derivatives now. They are looking at changing Libor again so the banks can't fuck with it... I hope

Those are just symptoms that the entire system is not adjusting.
                    What did Trump get elected on? Even the flip side of the coin Macron for that matter. There are now more than enough dissatisfied voters wanting to try something else.

Anyone ever heard of deflation. It exists when you trade down your entire economy.

Comment

Working...
                    X