US unemployment rate lowest in 49 years

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• US unemployment rate lowest in 49 years

That idiot Drumpf strikes again. And the reaction from the left? Predictable. As for Bill Maher,"Lose our Democracy"? How exactly?

U.S. Jobless Claims Drop to Lowest Level Since 1969

Bill Maher: ‘Bring on the Recession’ if It Will Remove Trump
    Comedian Bill Maher said on Friday’s episode of his HBO showReal Timethat he has no problem with the country sinking into an economic recession if it is detrimental to President Trump. “By the way, I’m hoping for it because one way you get rid of Trump is a crashing economy. So please, bring on the recession,” Maher said. “Sorry if that hurts people but it’s either root for a recession or you lose your democracy….I feel like the bottom has to fall out at some point.”
    The backlash on Twitter was swift, even from some who said they also dislike the president. Many users pointed out that Maher would not be profoundly affected by a recession given his net worth of about $100 million and reported salary of $10 million.

https://www.nationalreview.com/news/...on-hurt-trump/
    https://www.wsj.com/articles/u-s-job...969-1524746109

Wow! Nothing like wishing misery on the average Joe. Seems like a top bloke.

Comment

I think people who just can't come to terms with the result of a democratic election and stop short of calling for it's outright sabotage, are not helping with "not losing your democracy".

Comment

Waste of time

Comment

Thanks, Obama! You've passed the baton magnificently!

Comment

Comedian Bill Maher said on Friday’s episode of his HBO showReal Timethat he has no problem with the country sinking into an economic recession if it is detrimental to President Trump.
            I have a problem with this! Since when is Bill Maher a comedian?

Jon Stewart made me laugh an numerous occasions, even if he had his misses as well (which is natural). But Bill Maher just comes out as an unfunny spiteful man.

While Stephen Colbert still has some good moments (usually as a guest on other shows), the current generation of political satire comedians are not good. But again, I'm not including Bill Maher into this list, which I perceive to be more like and an activist (like Michael Moore).

Comment

In the interests of trying to create an actual discussion, is employment rate in isolation a reasonable measure to judge an economy by in the 21st century?

I can't speak for the US, but we have a lot of people in the UK who are controversially employed on zero hours countracts or minimal hours contracts, or who are notionally self employed contractors who are clearly employed by Uber or Deliveroo, but without protections from being sacked, sick pay, holiday pay etc that actual employees would be entitled to by law. Now obviously these sorts of arrangements have a place, for example students who want some beer money are generally quite happy with a ZHC at the local burger place picking up the odd shifts, but there's an increasing number of people with rent or morgages to pay, families to raise etc who can't find anything better. Yeah they're off the unemployment figures, but it's not got job security, it's often doesnt pay the bills etc.

I wouldn't ban or legislate against the gig economy, it certainly has it's place in the world, but I am conscious of the issue that many people can't find anything more substantial and I'm not sure what the answer is.

Comment

unemployment is lagging indicator. Current cycle in US is signifficantly prolonged and we see first signals of slowdown coming. See yield curve flattening.

Anyway this guy is a moron

Comment

Originally posted by Guma View Post
                  unemployment is lagging indicator. Current cycle in US is signifficantly prolonged and we see first signals of slowdown coming. See yield curve flattening.

Anyway this guy is a moron
                  Yep. A billionaire married to a supermodel who defeated the best efforts of our two entrenched political parties/machines with no political experience to become President. We need more morons like him. Morons that can get our unemployment rate down to a 50 year low, cut taxes, increase economic growth, bring peace to Korea after 70 years and begin to address the shit trade deals made by our "intelligent" politicians.

Comment

Originally posted by riderboy View Post

Yep. A billionaire married to a supermodel who defeated the best efforts of our two entrenched political parties/machines with no political experience to become President. We need more morons like him. Morons that can get our unemployment rate down to a 50 year low, cut taxes, increase economic growth, bring peace to Korea after 70 years and begin to address the shit trade deals made by our "intelligent" politicians.
                    I meant Bill Maher

Comment

Originally posted by Guma View Post

I meant Bill Maher
                      My apologies.

Comment

Originally posted by riderboy View Post

Unemployment rate is not a good indicator.

Better indicators are wage growth, underamployment, housing prices (both buying and renting)

Creating a lot of jobs in say UBER, part time retail, and so forth is not a good indicator of a strong growing economy. You need to create real jobs. IE at least 5 days per week. Not 1-2 days per week and they need to be in industry. Not retail and hospitatility.

Comment

Nancy was right! Trump sure is an idiot, just look at all the negligible "crumbs" that he left for the poor common folk in the USA. It sure didn't help anyone's disposable income.
                          Trump's forecast of 4% GDP growth close to coming true as Americans spend tax bill proceeds

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/14/trum...-proceeds.html

Comment

Ubers simple business plan ...replace workers

Comment

Originally posted by Nomoney View Post
                              Nancy was right! Trump sure is an idiot, just look at all the negligible "crumbs" that he left for the poor common folk in the USA. It sure didn't help anyone's disposable income.
                              Trump's forecast of 4% GDP growth close to coming true as Americans spend tax bill proceeds

https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/14/trum...-proceeds.html
                              I'm sure the Dems will find something to bitch about. We're still being strangled economically by health care costs i.e. "Obamacare" but I do believe that idiot Drumpf will keep trying. From your source. I'm honestly just flabbergasted (is that a German word?) at how out of touch the Democrats are. They are in Outer Space.

Trump's forecast of 4% GDP growth close to coming true as Americans spend tax-bill proceeds
                              • Surging consumer spending is driving GDP well above prior estimates, and it is now tracking near 4 percent for the second quarter.
                              • That's almost double the pace of the first quarter.
                              • Economists say the consumer is seeing the impact of the tax cuts and is spending, as a result of more disposable income.

Comment

Working...
                              X