No announcement yet.

‘It’s worse than murder’: how rural America became a hospital desert

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

For buying we have a brown paper bag supply for our low priced medicines. Trump hates our system. Says it unfair on US drug makers.
    I had some metal in the eye and the US doc wrote out prescription for med he knew from the states.
    The chemist looked at it and gave me something 1/4 of the price.

Govt cost cut arbitrarily..here is the budget kind of approach. Now the centralized hospitals either need replacing or are literally crumbling along with other remaining unsold "assets" which are the bottom of the barrel now..like your water supply.
    So we either fix em or sell em as per usual
    However right now its cheap money..why not borrow,
    https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2018/04/1...row-and-invest
    Last edited by primer; 26-05-2018, 12:31 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by primer View Post
      For buying we have a brown paper bag supply for our low priced medicines. Trump hates our system. Says it unfair on US drug makers.

Govt cost cut arbitrarily..here is the budget kind of approach. Now the centralized hospitals either need replacing or are literally crumbling along with other remaining unsold "assets" which are the bottom of the barrel now..like your water supply.
      So we either fix em or sell em as per usual
      However right now its cheap money..why not borrow,
      https://www.newsroom.co.nz/2018/04/1...row-and-invest
      Same problems here primer . Big business loves immigration . Keeps wages low for extra profit plus a hire and fire working culture . But when the extra immigration puts massive strains on public service s and housing the cooperation s don't want to know , not that you ll get any money from them as it all gets shoved into a tax haven .

Comment

Meh.....

Train more mid level training, mid level income health care practitioners such as physician assistants and nurse practitioners using quickly improving telemedicine to cover the closure of rural hospitals.

On the one hand it could be viewed as still being a loss(decline) in service access/quality, but it’s a viable option.

Comment

Originally posted by Flagg View Post
          Meh.....

Train more mid level training, mid level income health care practitioners such as physician assistants and nurse practitioners using quickly improving telemedicine to cover the closure of rural hospitals.

On the one hand it could be viewed as still being a loss(decline) in service access/quality, but it’s a viable option.
          The person I talked to said, when the hospital closes that is an hour from me, the hospital will be used as a clinic. Anyone in that town that goes to a hospital will have to drive 45 or so miles. IDK if they will have a lab, or an x-ray, probably not, and no emergency room. That clinic has 2 doctors (one needs to retire) and one nurse practitioner.

When the one closes 17 miles from me, I don't know if it will be used as a clinic or closed entirely. I think closed entirely.

They are just not being given enough money (grants, perhaps) from the government to stay open, and not making enough money

One of the hospitals that will stay open, is being given grants from the gov. - it's because they're an hour to one big city hospital and 3 hours and 26 minutes to another big city. They are it, all there is.

Comment

https://www.yorkshirepost.co.uk/news...nges-1-8689649

There s always a battle in the UK trying to keep medical services open . The big problem is PFI . New builds in the 2000s were all done on the never never instead of raising taxes to pay . Now the repayment s are really eating into NHS trust budgets . Again short term decisions made by politicians seeking re election hurting services long term .

Comment

That's extraordinary given the pop of UK. Its not rural Texas or NZ. I have to think you Brits have really improved on the austerity and restructuring programs.

IMF credit rating through the roof?

Comment

Originally posted by primer View Post
                That's extraordinary given the pop of UK. Its not rural Texas or NZ. I have to think you Brits have really improved on the austerity and restructuring programs.

IMF credit rating through the roof?
                Same old problems primer . While the roads crumble everyone drives around in brand new range rovers , of course paid by credit . Did you know the IMF has its own currency ? The SDR . Secured against what ? Freud was correct I'm afraid .

Comment

I actually went to Pungo Hospital once when a cross country teammate collapsed mid-race due to dehydration. It was maybe a 12-bed hospital back in the fall of 1998. Frankly I'm not surprised it closed.

That region is incredibly isolated. Economic development that has occurred in the rest of the state in the Raleigh region, Charlotte region, and Triad region has left it behind. The presence of the sounds, the swamp, and the Outer Banks don't help to connect it to the rest of the state.

Comment

The hospital 14 miles from me shut it down, no more admissions, and no more Emergency Room. They laid off 54 persons. I think they had already laid off about 25 persons this year. Edit: laid off 29 persons in June.

cuts in Medicare and Medicaid payments, continued restrictions on hospital admissions by Medicare, and a dwindling number of patients

Plus they cut their staff by 20 per cent in 2014 for the same reasons as above

They'll have a clinic and there's an ambulance. I think they shut down lab and xray -- No they're keeping lab and x-ray.

Comment

Working...
                    X