Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Steve Bannon to address Front National as French far-right leaders seek unity

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Steve Bannon to address Front National as French far-right leaders seek unity

    https://www.theguardian.com/world/20...front-national

    The Front National leader, Marine Le Pen, will attempt to pull her divided far-right party together when it meets this weekend for its first conference since she lost to Emmanuel Macron in the final round of the French presidential election.

    Hours before the conference opened it was revealed Donald Trump’s former adviser Steve Bannon would be speaking on the first day of the event.

    Beset by political and personal rifts, and with her popularity in the post-election doldrums, Le Pen is facing opposition to her plan to rename the party in an attempt to improve its electoral chances.

    The move is seen by the traditional wing of the FN, founded by Le Pen’s father in the 1970s, as a betrayal of the party’s heritage. The new name will be voted on after it is unveiled on Sunday.

    The surprise guest speaker Bannon was announced on Twitter by the FN deputy president Louis Aliot. He wrote: “Welcome to Steve Bannon who will address the FN tomorrow at our congress and will meet ML [Le Pen]. The people are waking up and taking their destiny in hand.”

  • #2
    So finally it settles the fact that Bannon belongs to the far right on the contrary to what was said on this very board for months

    Comment


    • #3
      Not sure that will favor Marine or help the FN in any way.


      The people are waking up and taking their destiny in hand.
      Yeah... right...

      Comment


      • #4
        Not as exciting as Marion at CPAC

        Comment


        • #5
          Don't shake hands with him mind you.
          Hear he doesnt wash them after taking a dump.

          Comment


          • #6
            Originally posted by Telmar View Post
            Not as exciting as Marion at CPAC
            Convergence of ideas between FN icone and US conservative party is "interesting", isn't ?
            Do you smell that 1933 odour ?

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by Telmar View Post
              Not as exciting as Marion at CPAC
              Now you wrote it, a Q : what's exciting, Marion or the CPAC ?

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by Mordoror View Post

                Convergence of ideas between FN icone and US conservative party is "interesting", isn't ?
                Do you smell that 1933 odour ?
                I would not go that far Mordoror. I dislike the FN, but I don´t tick the box nazi for people like Marion Marechal le Pen.She represents more the roots of the FN that was more conservative about the society (more traditional Christian oriented), and more "liberal" on economic issues (in the European meaning), more free market. The Marine branch became socially progressive, left leaning economically, and the simple fact they welcome a declining US personality shows how tired the movement is.


                Originally posted by Mordoror View Post

                Now you wrote it, a Q : what's exciting, Marion or the CPAC ?
                I think Marion has a bigger future than most people see. I don´t particuliarly welcome it, but the CPAC is quite a piedestal to build a credible image as an opinion leader. The little I saw, she has remarkable oratory skills...much better than "euh...euh...." Marine le Pen.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by Telmar View Post

                  I would not go that far Mordoror. I dislike the FN, but I don´t tick the box nazi for people like Marion Marechal le Pen.She represents more the roots of the FN that was more conservative about the society (more traditional Christian oriented), and more "liberal" on economic issues (in the European meaning), more free market. The Marine branch became socially progressive, left leaning economically, and the simple fact they welcome a declining US personality shows how tired the movement is.
                  Neither i will. Nazi has a specific meaning. But she is way less "soft gloved" than her aunt on a certain number of subjects despite heir angelic face. The traditionnalist part been the less worrying.


                  Originally posted by Telmar View Post
                  I think Marion has a bigger future than most people see. I don´t particuliarly welcome it, but the CPAC is quite a piedestal to build a credible image as an opinion leader. The little I saw, she has remarkable oratory skills...much better than "euh...euh...." Marine le Pen.
                  Yes, she has something of a presence. And she's cute.

                  Just a few fact : majority of FN members want her back in the party (around more than 85%)
                  And also a majority of Les Republicains party members (around 60%)
                  She may very well achieve the polishing of the FN


                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I did bother to watch Marion's speech at the CPAC, not that bad. I'm impressed that she can deliver in English, her frenchie accent is probably cute to the ear of an American conservative audience and she was widely applauded.

                    Making a link between the American Conservatives, the FN and the Third Reich is going a bit far Mordo innit? How provocative of you. What painkillers are you on? Tramadol by any chance? I am yankin' your chain of course...

                    Otherwise, she made during her speech a few statements about our long friendship with America, going back to helping kicking out the Brits then, the American intervention in both World Wars, yeah she wasn't ridiculous yet I'm not seeing the Front national taking power in France, maybe some towns in the South, Picardie and Alsace just not the Presidency but Marion has a future as a politician.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yes i went too far. Yes i am under tramadol high doses right now. But frankly you cant remove the fact that : Bannon making a speech at FN congress and MMLP making a speech at CPAC are not exactly random innocent events.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Just a correction. I reread the various posts and until now was wondering why both of you guys, were talking about nazis. It's my fault. I never thought about nazis when i wrote 1933. I was willing to mean 1930s and the inter-penetration of far right and classical right (or coalitions) parties in Europe in a number of countries back then (and more precisely because we are speaking about the FN the parlementary french right parties and the Cagoule). My fault. Never write when high

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by Mordoror View Post

                          Convergence of ideas between FN icone and US conservative party is "interesting", isn't ?
                          Do you smell that 1933 odour ?
                          Yup: same deny of the threat from the left preceding its collaboration with the invader.

                          Not fond of socialist FN personally but when one say "the sky is blue", if it is true, I agree even if it is Hitler that says it.

                          Comment

                          Working...
                          X