Keeping Dreamers Taxpayers 26 billion over next 10 years Feds say

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Keeping Dreamers Taxpayers 26 billion over next 10 years Feds say

Obama cuts medicare for Seniors, US citizens need taxpayer dollars for health care (Vets, children's health care, pregnant women without insurance, & others) but....

KEEPING DREAMERS WOULD COST TAXPAYERS 26 BILLION OVER NEXT 10 YEARS FEDS SAY

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2017/12/17...-feds-say.html

Interesting article, they had links to supporting documents which verified the story.

Comment

How do most Americans react to this type of news, the ones that give out a number like "$26 billion"? My first reaction was to pull out my calculator, and did some simple calculations myself.

If my calculation is correct, it would cost $1300 per "dreamer" per year for the next 10 years.

So, what would be the cost to America, if these "dreamers" are kept illegal for the next 10 years? Also, what would be the cost for America to deport them all?

Comment

Illegal immigrants cost taxpayers nearly $750 billion over lifetime: Report

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-billion-over/
        Deporting the country’s estimated 11 million illegal immigrants would cost nearly $125 billion, but allowing them to remain in the U.S. could cost taxpayers far more, according to a new report being released Thursday by a think tank that wants to see stricter immigration limits.
        Steven A. Camarota, research director at the Center for Immigration Studies, crunched the numbers and found that the current population of illegal immigrants will drain nearly $750 billion from taxpayers over their lifetimes — amounting to six times the deportation costs.
        “Sometimes people say look, we couldn’t deport everybody because it’s prohibitively expensive,” Mr. Camarota said. “But if your only concern is fiscal cost, it’s pretty clear that letting them stay is a hell of a lot more expensive.”
        The researcher said he doesn’t actually support a mass deportation of all illegal immigrants, but said it’s important to spark a conversation about costs and benefits as President Trump vows to step up removals of illegal immigrants who already in the U.S.
        The crux of Mr. Camarota’s analysis is the nature of illegal immigrants, who are far more likely to be low-skilled, less-educated workers than the native-born population. Though they also don’t have access to some services and benefits reserved for citizens and legal residents, they do get other benefits, such as education.
        A report last year by the National Academy of Sciences helped put a dollar figure on the lifetime costs and benefits of immigrants, based on levels of education.

Mr. Camarota adjusted that study for illegal immigrants and concluded that those with advanced degrees are a $424,000 boon to the U.S. over their lifetime, but those who dropped out of high school are a $173,000 drain. Overall, it works out to a net cost to taxpayers of nearly $63,000 per illegal immigrant.

more at link

Comment

Originally posted by Cowboy's daughter View Post
          Illegal immigrants cost taxpayers nearly $750 billion over lifetime: Report

https://www.washingtontimes.com/news...-billion-over/
          Deporting the country’s estimated 11 million illegal immigrants would cost nearly $125 billion, but allowing them to remain in the U.S. could cost taxpayers far more, according to a new report being released Thursday by a think tank that wants to see stricter immigration limits.
          Steven A. Camarota, research director at the Center for Immigration Studies, crunched the numbers and found that the current population of illegal immigrants will drain nearly $750 billion from taxpayers over their lifetimes — amounting to six times the deportation costs.
          “Sometimes people say look, we couldn’t deport everybody because it’s prohibitively expensive,” Mr. Camarota said. “But if your only concern is fiscal cost, it’s pretty clear that letting them stay is a hell of a lot more expensive.”
          The researcher said he doesn’t actually support a mass deportation of all illegal immigrants, but said it’s important to spark a conversation about costs and benefits as President Trump vows to step up removals of illegal immigrants who already in the U.S.
          The crux of Mr. Camarota’s analysis is the nature of illegal immigrants, who are far more likely to be low-skilled, less-educated workers than the native-born population. Though they also don’t have access to some services and benefits reserved for citizens and legal residents, they do get other benefits, such as education.
          A report last year by the National Academy of Sciences helped put a dollar figure on the lifetime costs and benefits of immigrants, based on levels of education.

Mr. Camarota adjusted that study for illegal immigrants and concluded that those with advanced degrees are a $424,000 boon to the U.S. over their lifetime, but those who dropped out of high school are a $173,000 drain. Overall, it works out to a net cost to taxpayers of nearly $63,000 per illegal immigrant.

more at link

Again, pulling out a calculator was the first thing I did. It depends on how you define "life time". I defined it as 60 years, and that means that $750 billion over life time is about $1136 per person per year. This is roughly $35 each American taxpayer has to pay each year.

This study was done by an anti-illegal immigration group, so we can assume that this $750 billion is the upper limit. An unbiased research group may come up with a lower number.

Also, what would be the cost to taxpayers if these 11 million illegal immigrants become legal? Is it still $750 billion or less?

Spending $125 billion to destroy families for the purpose of saving $1136 per person per year, or $35 per taxpayer per year seems a bad idea to me.

Comment

Originally posted by pla View Post

Again, pulling out a calculator was the first thing I did. It depends on how you define "life time". I defined it as 60 years, and that means that $750 billion over life time is about $1136 per person per year. This is roughly $35 each American taxpayer has to pay each year.

This study was done by an anti-illegal immigration group, so we can assume that this $750 billion is the upper limit. An unbiased research group may come up with a lower number.

Also, what would be the cost to taxpayers if these 11 million illegal immigrants become legal? Is it still $750 billion or less?

Spending $125 billion to destroy families for the purpose of saving $1136 per person per year, or $35 per taxpayer per year seems a bad idea to me.
            And where exactly are you from? Is your country one of those countries allowing illegal immigrants into your country? Pray tell.

Comment

pla, what's so difficult to understand about "illegal" ? There are fairly good reasons to regulate immigration, security being only one of them. It doesn't matter if you calculated 35 bucks or 35 cents a year, a law-abiding citizen shouldn't be expected to pay anything for the failures of others to comply with the law.

Comment

And where exactly are you from? Is your country one of those countries allowing illegal immigrants into your country? Pray tell.

Hey, you have this "illegal immigration" problem, I do not. So I don't really care, and I cannot care. I simply did some simple math from an unbiased point of view. You do whatever you got do. Best of luck with your country's illegal immigration problems.

Comment

Hey, you have this "illegal immigration" problem, I do not. So I don't really care, and I cannot care. I simply did some simple math from an unbiased point of view. You do whatever you got do. Best of luck with your country's illegal immigration problems.
                  And I'm pretty sure that your country doesn't allow illegal immigrants.

Comment

And I'm pretty sure that your country doesn't allow illegal immigrants.
                    BINGO!!! Maybe we could take up a collection amongst the people here who love illegal immigrants in the US but won't pay a single penny to take care of them. Faith without works is dead.

Comment

Yes, drop your children off at our border, were here to take care of them for you...

https://www.politico.com/story/2017/...ca-deal-306298

Top senators and White House officials are laying the groundwork for a major immigration deal in January to resolve the fate of young undocumented immigrants whose legal protections were put in limbo by President Donald Trump.

At a Tuesday afternoon meeting with nearly a dozen senators deeply involved in immigration policy, White House chief of staff John Kelly pledged that the administration will soon present a list of border security and other policy changes it wants as part of a broader deal on so-called Dreamers, according to people who attended the meeting. The plan could come in a matter of days, senators said.

About a half-dozen senators have been negotiating a bipartisan package prompted by Trump’s decision to kill the Deferred Action for Childhood Arrivals program, an Obama-era executive action that granted work permits to nearly 800,000 undocumented immigrants who came here as minors. Yet, the senators could not fully flesh out a deal before they knew what Trump was willing to sign.

Comment

And then come the next ones, come the next ones, come the next ones.....

Immigration can't be like the one from the past century were it was enough to have two hands and be able to walk.

I know quite a few European engineers who had to leave the US after their work visa expired.

All these schemes are invented by SJW who actively help to build up these situations and then when fait accompli, they say: Here look, don't be inhuman.

It is the right of the host population to decide if they want to shoulder the burden or not. Also your cents calculation is meaningless.

The simple brutal fact is that these billions are missed somewhere else. And they are missing most probably in public infrastructure and the like.

But you can spare your crocodile tears, you being from an Orwells China.

Comment

Originally posted by picanha View Post

And then come the next ones, come the next ones, come the next ones.....

Immigration can't be like the one from the past century were it was enough to have two hands and be able to walk.

I know quite a few European engineers who had to leave the US after their work visa expired.

All these schemes are invented by SJW who actively help to build up these situations and then when fait accompli, they say: Here look, don't be inhuman.

It is the right of the host population to decide if they want to shoulder the burden or not. Also your cents calculation is meaningless.

The simple brutal fact is that these billions are missed somewhere else. And they are missing most probably in public infrastructure and the like.

But you can spare your crocodile tears, you being from an Orwells China.

lol! whether or not these people keep coming to America is mainly determined by the conditions in Mexico and elsewhere. Of course, you can also make the conditions worse in America, then fewer people would come.

I didn't care whether or not these people should or should not be deported. I only cared to think about whether or not they can all be deported. If you want to make a legal argument for your case, then do so. There is no argument, these people are and were breaking the US laws. But the fiscal case is simply not there, These "studies" may backfire as the other side has their set of propaganda machine as well. They can show the "$26 billion" or "$750 billion" in more context to their supporters, and appeal to their emotions. These people will have the thought that they are not even worth $1300 a year to this country.

Deporting 11 million people is not easy. Go look back in history...

This is why all these US presidents never did much to really solve the illegal immigration issues. It is not should or should not, it is can or cannot...

Comment

This is why all these US presidents never did much to really solve the illegal immigration issues. It is not should or should not, it is can or cannot...
                            There is reason for that. Illegal immigrants have had support from both left due to 'muh feels and right wing due to 'muh bellow market cost labor. Businesses have opposed strict action against illegal immigrants because that would drive up costs of work force and cut their profits. They don't have problem with deporting a problematic worker that happens to be illegal, but if authorities would have deported all illegals under their employment they would have had a problem.

Comment

Some of the wildest claims of the far right have just been confirmed.

LEAKED MEMO: DREAMers Are ‘Critical’ To Dems ‘Future Electoral Success’

The Center For American Progress (CAP) Action Fund circulated a memo on Monday calling illegal immigrants brought here at a young age — so-called “Dreamers” — a “critical component of the Democratic Party’s future electoral success.”
                              The memo, co-authored by former Clinton communications director Jennifer Palmieri, was sent around to allies calling on Democrats to “refuse to offer any votes for Republican spending bills that do not offer a fix for Dreamers and instead appropriate funds to deport them.”
                              http://dailycaller.com/2018/01/08/le...toral-success/
                              http://archive.is/7OaKw

Here is the memo: https://fr.scribd.com/document/36875...ers#from_embed

Comment

Working...
                              X