When it comes to tackling BDS, Israel is all talk, no action

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• When it comes to tackling BDS, Israel is all talk, no action

Despite their passionate rhetoric, MKs are using the latest uptick of boycotts for domestic political point-scoring, while the government’s counter-effort is dysfunctionally divided between two rival ministries, with almost no staff

http://www.timesofisrael.com/when-it...alk-no-action/

I think pro-Israel NGO's and similar, such as Stand With Us, Stop the BDS, etc., as well as influential individuals, such as Adelson and Saban, will need to lead the charge against BDS.

BDS is indeed a problem, but the author's suggestion that the intelligence services address the problem is off the mark entirely.

Comment

Back in January a report from the Knesset was that there was no impact on the Israeli economy from BDS inspired boycotts but before that and since then various MK's have been talking it up. A Euro zone broad boycott on Israel would bite but it's unlikely due to the nature of the support base of BDS which are composed of several micro demographics that are rather transient in their cause de jour. So little more than neurotism and angst as the Israeli economy did not grow as expected last year (slowest in the last 5).
      Whatever happens the anti-boycot measures enacted beyond those of the OAC are going to hamper Americans.
      http://www.haaretz.com/jewish-world/...emium-1.654120

Comment

The lower inflation is not because of BDS. Since there were changes in import duties it resulted in prices going down, in addition, the weakness of the dollar and then the euro caused Israeli export losses and the economic situation in Russia caused losses to Israeli agriculture. Then there was the usual summer war that lowered consumption of goods within Israel.

Israel is now looking into a new market that will boost its economy. Israeli medicinal marijuana is considered some of the finest in the world and the companies developing it are world leaders in the field (THC was discovered in the Weizman institute in the 60s). As result, there's wall to wall political support (including Police chief support) on decriminalisation of weed and the proposed law will be brought to a vote in the Knesset in the coming months.

Czech health minister visited Israel 4 months ago and offered a 500$ million deal per year with Israeli growers, but right now it is illegal to export until the law changes. In addition, Israeli company Tikun Olam has signed agreements to share its knowledge with Canadian (MedReleaf) and American companies.

http://www.vocativ.com/culture/scien...hc-marijunana/
        http://www.tikun-olam.info/articles.php?id=1021

As for tackling the BDS, there were measures taken against it. Unfortunately, the organizations that are leading it are funded by Saudi and Qatari money and its hard to combat their funding. Though, in the eastern emisphere there's no such problem and the economy minister travelled many times to Australia, Japan, China and India and signed trade agreements that tackles these threats from Europe.
        Last edited by moledet; 06-06-2015, 03:18 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Gently Benevolent View Post
          Back in January a report from the Knesset was that there was no impact on the Israeli economy from BDS inspired boycotts but before that and since then various MK's have been talking it up. A Euro zone broad boycott on Israel would bite but it's unlikely due to the nature of the support base of BDS which are composed of several micro demographics that are rather transient in their cause de jour. So little more than neurotism and angst as the Israeli economy did not grow as expected last year (slowest in the last 5).
          Whatever happens the anti-boycot measures enacted beyond those of the OAC are going to hamper Americans.
          A Jewish person who buys into BDS bullshit is on slippery slimy slope to becoming something lower than a camp kapo.

Comment

Originally posted by Mr Gently Benevolent View Post

The house of reps. here in the Netherlands has already agreed to a motion against all this last year promoting business ties but company's will make there own choices. I do however find this whole thing rather stupid. One would think a people running a company will take a wider view of the facts instead of just falling into line, but then again they are people and common sense is rare. I can partly agree with them on the settlement thing but pretending Palestinians are poor victims under the boot heal of a oppressive apartheid regime is stupid and not what allot of them obviously are.
            Last edited by Victis Honor; 07-06-2015, 04:00 AM.

Comment

At Tel Aviv court, officials insist barred US student still supports BDS

Lawyer for Lara Alqasem rejects state’s assertion that clicking ‘attend’ for Facebook event means she currently backs movement; she will remain at airport until judge rules

https://www.timesofisrael.com/at-tel...-supports-bds/

Seems to me that this entire bruhaha could be closed with a simple repudiation of BDS and SJP.

Else, she has no right to enter Israel.

Comment

How does Israel tackle BDP?

Comment

Originally posted by budgie View Post
                  How does Israel tackle BDP?
                  Easy. Ban Leonardo DiCaprio movies. No loss.

Comment

Another reason to treat BDSholes as enemy agents;

'CANCER JEWS, YOU PEOPLE DON’T EXIST' - ANTI-ISRAEL ACTIVIST

Amsterdam BDS rally at monument to Nazi victims features suicide bomber song

Dutch politicians ask city government why it allows viciously anti-Semitic demonstrations at main memorial for Nazi crimes

https://www.timesofisrael.com/amster...e-bomber-song/

Comment

Worrying. My sister told me of an altercation she witnessed in London, couple of young Jewish lads getting harassed by some BDS lefty types. What the shit do two young British Jews have to do with Israeli defence policy? It's like holding me to account for the crimes of the empire in the east.

Comment

Originally posted by GB_FXST View Post
                        Another reason to treat BDSholes as enemy agents;

'CANCER JEWS, YOU PEOPLE DON’T EXIST' - ANTI-ISRAEL ACTIVIST

Amsterdam BDS rally at monument to Nazi victims features suicide bomber song

Dutch politicians ask city government why it allows viciously anti-Semitic demonstrations at main memorial for Nazi crimes

https://www.timesofisrael.com/amster...e-bomber-song/
                        Well I am certainly glad that I never bought into this BDS bullshit!

Comment

Originally posted by The Archwizard View Post

Well I am certainly glad that I never bought into this BDS bullshit!
                          I am too!

It is a sign of intelligence and common sense, btw.

Comment

Originally posted by Moose_Hates_You View Post
                            Worrying. My sister told me of an altercation she witnessed in London, couple of young Jewish lads getting harassed by some BDS lefty types. What the shit do two young British Jews have to do with Israeli defence policy? It's like holding me to account for the crimes of the empire in the east.
                            Many on the left ascribe a certain "litmus test" to Jews. Repudiate Israel and you are a good Jew, don't and you are a bad Jew.

BTW, BDSholes are cowards and bullies. They pick their victims just like a typical street thug.

Comment

Minister in charge of combating BDS calls for Airbnb boycott

Gilad Erdan says those who support Israel should stop using listings company, after it announced it would remove properties in West Bank settlements from its service

“This decision is appalling in its hypocrisy, outrageous in its discrimination, and counterproductive in its effects,” he said.

“Airbnb operates in 191 countries, in which there are dozens of disputed territories. Yet Airbnb hasn’t decided to de-list properties in any of them. Only in Israel,” he told the audience at the Jerusalem Post Diplomatic Conference, speaking in English.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/minist...irbnb-boycott/

Comment

Working...
                              X