Brexit thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Asheren View Post

You actualy have even a clue about situation in UK retail sector and how much it got worse since brexit. We dont talk about one company here. We talk about Brits in certain parts of the country waking up one day after brexit and finding out they are living in "retail wasteland". Last two years are catasthrope and after brexit we talk about entire town being striped completly of mayor brands.
    If you think its good well here is a task for a month don't buy a single product in store chain and tell me how your wallet likes it.
    Errr...no. I'm afraid you are missing the context here. Major highstreet brands/franchises have been slowly dying off since the crash of '08, if not before. This is by no means a new occurence in any way shape or form. We've been having the same sorts of discussions about the more traditional parts of our retail sector for years and years. A lot of big name chains were lost in that period and in many cases the businesses that tried to replace them went the same way not long after. Poundland may just be yet another name to add to that list. In Poundland's particular case, maybe Brexit was a contributing factor but the bigger picture is nothing like the one you are trying to paint here.

Comment

• Originally posted by ~UNiOnJaCk~ View Post

Errr...no. I'm afraid you are missing the context here. Major highstreet brands/franchises have been slowly dying off since the crash of '08, if not before. This is by no means a new occurence in any way shape or form. We've been having the same sorts of discussions about the more traditional parts of our retail sector for years and years. A lot of big name chains were lost in that period and in many cases the businesses that tried to replace them went the same way not long after. Poundland may just be yet another name to add to that list. In Poundland's particular case, maybe Brexit was a contributing factor but the bigger picture is nothing like the one you are trying to paint here.
      No i don't this is special case because company started to generate loss after pound crash if my memory is corect 60%+ of its stock was imported. You are correct that the issue is older i think i did mentioned that before if not i am sorry.

The big picture is that hard Brexit is seen as something that will capsize the boat that is already teaking water. Retailers simply can't afford a recession now.
      As for Brexit there is a visible change since the vote in consumer behavior. Sadly i can't say anything more due to NDA.
      Last edited by Asheren; 14-06-2018, 03:41 AM.

Comment

• Poundland was killed off by the 99p store

I was unfortunate enough to take the OH into a Poundland the other year and she asked me "how much is that"............

Will miss Poundland for things you use and throw away like paint brushes for hammerite

Comment

• https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/11/cram...aboolainternal

Trump is right about trade and the markets agree according to Cramer..just look at Slovenia. Subsidies sucking in other countries manufacturing while their politicians look on with typical puritanical liberal disdain.

They haven't figured out Trump literally trumped them while they flounder about with their usual G7 memorandum.
          They must go home. Lye in their beds and quietly think to themselves..he really fucked us badly. yet many of them covet their own hush hush "economic development" subsidies and refuse to give them up...in fact.

An economic commentator remarked now the realization of tariffs by US administration are priced in the normal affectors of change such as interest rates and macro economic indices are more influential.
          Time will tell regarding tariffs but Slovenia doing well for itself in the heart of the "free trade" world...

Comment

• Originally posted by primer View Post
            https://www.cnbc.com/2018/06/11/cram...aboolainternal

Trump is right about trade and the markets agree according to Cramer..just look at Slovenia. Subsidies sucking in other countries manufacturing while their politicians look on with typical puritanical liberal disdain.

They haven't figured out Trump literally trumped them while they flounder about with their usual G7 memorandum.
            They must go home. Lye in their beds and quietly think to themselves..he really fucked us badly. yet many of them covet their own hush hush "economic development" subsidies and refuse to give them up...in fact.

An economic commentator remarked now the realization of tariffs by US administration are priced in the normal affectors of change such as interest rates and macro economic indices are more influential.
            Time will tell regarding tariffs but Slovenia doing well for itself in the heart of the "free trade" world...

Umm G7 thread is over there. (points towards naked burger dancing on table with peoples facepalming around)

Comment

• Yes it could have gone in another thread but hey. Its a connected world right.
              Slovenia stole those UK manufacturing jobs. As a Pole you hate them too?

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKiwi View Post
                Brexit was simply a vote for a return of sovereignty to the British people - actual democracy rather than a veneer. No amount of wah wah wah can change that.
                The economic factor was the last thing I considered when I voted out.
                Originally posted by primer View Post
                Yes it could have gone in another thread but hey. Its a connected world right.
                Slovenia stole those UK manufacturing jobs. As a Pole you hate them too?
                It looks like he diplomatically mentioned that he is going to cease to be a Pole very soon

Comment

• He can be with his metaphorical burger and friends.

Europe doesn't look so hot. At-least according to the market. It said it was going to stop easy money and instead of the euro going up the market sold the euro. Actually this is the first time this has happened..since the crisis.

Comment

Comment

• According to the Mail today the Hungarian leadership has started to wake up to what the Brussels negotiating team are trying to do in their name, namely screw the Brits seemingly primarily for having the nerve to leave.

The sooner the rest of those European politicians (who effectively have the ultimate yes/no) who are net beneficiaries of the EU wake up to the impact on them of a hard Brexit, when we walk out the door without crossing their palms with £1B a month for a few years, the better.

Given Trump's bellicose almost divide and rule attitude on tariffs it seems lose, lose for the EU/UK not to come to a deal.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohninMK View Post
                        According to the Mail today the Hungarian leadership has started to wake up to what the Brussels negotiating team are trying to do in their name, namely screw the Brits seemingly primarily for having the nerve to leave.

The sooner the rest of those European politicians (who effectively have the ultimate yes/no) who are net beneficiaries of the EU wake up to the impact on them of a hard Brexit, when we walk out the door without crossing their palms with £1B a month for a few years, the better.

Given Trump's bellicose almost divide and rule attitude on tariffs it seems lose, lose for the EU/UK not to come to a deal.
                        Looking more likely now as well - EU is a house of cards - once we are gone it will fold big style and the more pressure the US puts on the better

Comment

• Adding another layer of politicians is fundamentally insane.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohninMK View Post
                            According to the Mail today the Hungarian leadership has started to wake up to what the Brussels negotiating team are trying to do in their name, namely screw the Brits seemingly primarily for having the nerve to leave.
                            The EU (much like the late and lamented East Germany) is so fantastic that if you try to leave you will be shot!

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKiwi View Post

The EU (much like the late and lamented East Germany) is so fantastic that if you try to leave you will be shot!
                              yes - in the back and you have to pay for the bullet over and over again...............

Comment

• Originally posted by blackcatnursery View Post

Looking more likely now as well - EU is a house of cards - once we are gone it will fold big style and the more pressure the US puts on the better

I would be carefull you don't fold big style first with May dividing skin on brexit dividends bear that somone has seen living in the forest... propably.

Comment

Working...
                                X