Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Brexit thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Originally posted by picanha View Post
    [h=1]

    German companies prepare for hard Brexit as UK gov. doesn't know what it wants.
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    [/FONT][/COLOR]
    I somehow think the British government have a plan and a very details one - we are just playing a long game

    I suspect the real plan will only start to unfold nearer the date

    Comment


    • Originally posted by bfc1001 View Post

      because to the UK it is a political decision , not financial . What the UK pays into the eu is not a lot in comparison to total tax take . It's more a question of direction and what the British want as opposed to what the "markets" want . Do the markets rule , or the people who shop at said market rule ?
      see this is what pees off a lot of Scots with this generalisation of what Britain wants ... Scotland and Northern ireland both voted to be part of the EU, because we make up the minority we are expected to accept this .... just say it as it is it's what England wants

      Comment


      • Originally posted by Tizer View Post
        Scotland and Northern ireland both voted to be part of the EU, because we make up the minority we are expected to accept this
        It was a UK wide vote, the UK as a whole voted to leave (just). Certain regions may have voted more heavily to leave or stay, but there were no constituencies or areas involved in the final tally, everyones vote counted equally. So yes, Britain voted to leave. I can understand the Scots being frustrated, but they did just vote to remain in the Union, they can't throw a hissy fit and demand Indy Ref2: Electric Boogaloo everytime demographics go against them. What's the aternative, 10% of the population of the Uk somehow holds a veto on major foreign policy decisions? Hardly democratic.

        Comment


        • Originally posted by Corrupt View Post

          It was a UK wide vote, the UK as a whole voted to leave (just). Certain regions may have voted more heavily to leave or stay, but there were no constituencies or areas involved in the final tally, everyones vote counted equally. So yes, Britain voted to leave. I can understand the Scots being frustrated, but they did just vote to remain in the Union, they can't throw a hissy fit and demand Indy Ref2: Electric Boogaloo everytime demographics go against them. What's the aternative, 10% of the population of the Uk somehow holds a veto on major foreign policy decisions? Hardly democratic.
          neither Scotland or N Ireland are regions of the UK especially Scotland we are a nation within a union much like the UK within the EU the mandate is their from the hollyrood 2016 election

          Comment


          • Originally posted by Tizer View Post
            see this is what pees off a lot of Scots with this generalisation of what Britain wants ... Scotland and Northern ireland both voted to be part of the EU, because we make up the minority we are expected to accept this .... just say it as it is it's what England wants
            yep , I guess that's democracy tizer . In 1975 Scotland voted against joining the eec, 40 years later Scotland want to stay so what's changed ?

            Comment


            • Originally posted by blackcatnursery View Post
              I somehow think the British government have a plan and a very details one - we are just playing a long game

              I suspect the real plan will only start to unfold nearer the date

              Comment


              • Originally posted by Tizer View Post
                we are a nation within a union
                A union Scotland voted to remain part of. A union which as a whole decided to leave the EU.

                Originally posted by Tizer View Post
                much like the UK within the EU
                The arrangements between Scotland and the UK is not "much like" the UK within the EU, beyond the general shallow principle of being a member of a larger group.

                Comment


                • Originally posted by bfc1001 View Post

                  yep , I guess that's democracy tizer . In 1975 Scotland voted against joining the eec, 40 years later Scotland want to stay so what's changed ?
                  in 1975 their was still around 25 to 30 Tory MPS elected out of 72 in Scotland the very idea of Independence had about 25% support in Scotland ... Scot's have never been fond of change ... i was a young kid at the time my old man was anti EU ... but once we were in the EU we saw the benefits of the EU workers rights etc .... Scotland has benefited greatly from EU membership like Ireland ... we have a trade surplus with the EU and a trade deficit with the rest of the UK ... look at it like this within the UK Holyrood controls 25% of Scotland's laws etc the UK has 62% control and EU 3% control IScotland within EU 97% control ... plus EU membership gives us access to other trading partners around the globe as i said before EU membership my dad was against it ... he was totally against Brexit and all for the EU up to his death a couple of months ago
                  Last edited by Tizer; 16-11-2017, 05:54 PM.

                  Comment


                  • Where’s the clever money going October 2017??? British markets apparently!!!

                    https://www.marketviews.com/faith-gl...-october-2017/

                    ...Scots in disbelief.

                    Comment


                    • Originally posted by primer View Post

                      ...Scots in disbelief.
                      Biggest shock most Scot's got recently was a minimum price for a unit of alcohol - get me another Buckfast quick



                      Judges at the Supreme Court in London put an end to a five-year battle by trade bosses to halt plans to charge at least 50p per unit of booze.

                      Comment


                      • Originally posted by blackcatnursery View Post

                        Biggest shock most Scot's got recently was a minimum price for a unit of alcohol - get me another Buckfast quick


                        bit of a poor show this in my opinion . Minimum pricing on alcohol will only hurt the poor . I'm guessing the Scottish parliament want to make drinking a preserve of the more well off . Why does society always pretend that drink/drugs are a problem for poor people , but for rich people everything s good ? You 'll find just as much drink/drug abuse on the richest streets of the UK as happens on the poorest .

                        Comment


                        • Originally posted by bfc1001 View Post
                          bit of a poor show this in my opinion . Minimum pricing on alcohol will only hurt the poor . I'm guessing the Scottish parliament want to make drinking a preserve of the more well off . Why does society always pretend that drink/drugs are a problem for poor people , but for rich people everything s good ? You 'll find just as much drink/drug abuse on the richest streets of the UK as happens on the poorest .
                          While I disagree with minimum pricing on alcohol, the effects of drinking in deprived areas like the North East on the NHS are pretty well documented.

                          Comment


                          • Originally posted by Corrupt View Post

                            While I disagree with minimum pricing on alcohol, the effects of drinking in deprived areas like the North East on the NHS are pretty well documented.
                            which would indicate a link between poverty and substance abuse . So the problem isn't the alcohol , its the poverty . The fact that the north east has been asset stripped of its well paying jobs for the sake of cheap imports over the last 30/40 years it is no supprise that the UK is seeing an increace in regional alcoholism . The profits made from offshore manufacturing have not been 're invested into the area s affected by de industrialisation creating an environment of desperation within these regions . When people feel they have no hope its easy to look for a crutch .

                            Comment


                            • Originally posted by blackcatnursery View Post

                              Biggest shock most Scot's got recently was a minimum price for a unit of alcohol - get me another Buckfast quick


                              Think of your liver.
                              But what the hell is a unit of booze. Sounds very EU of you. And 50p !!!! very Scots.

                              Comment


                              • Originally posted by blackcatnursery View Post

                                Biggest shock most Scot's got recently was a minimum price for a unit of alcohol - get me another Buckfast quick


                                the legislation was mostly aimed at underage drinkers and the low prices of alcopops and prices are based on the unit of alcohol it contains ... something had to be done to control youth drinking and the crimes they commit

                                Comment

                                Working...
                                X