Brexit thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by bfc1001 View Post

but from a Scottish nationalist s point of view brexit / independence are one of the same . I would guess tizer does not see these two as separate issues even though the rest of the UK does .
    correct it is integral to Scotland as we voted to remain in the EU whilst during Indyref the UK made EU membership the centre of it's campaign to keep Scotland in the UK ... they would have lost otherwise ... support for the EU in Scotland is over 70% now ... ethnically i'm a mixed bag great grandfather born in England, great, great Grandfather born in what is now N Ireland (Newry) it's not about hatred for me it is about taking a different route

Comment

• Just some clarity on the figures. The 63% is indeed goods exported just to the UK, which stay in the UK. It is £50.5bn and the goods going from UK to Scotland is a similar amount at £62.7bn, which proves that this is intra-UK trading. EU exports from Scotland totalled just £12.3bn, hence there is no advantage and greater loss for Scotland if they left the UK in the event of no deal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-28916642
      http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-38743532

Comment

• Originally posted by Tizer View Post
        correct it is integral to Scotland as we voted to remain in the EU whilst during Indyref the UK made EU membership the centre of it's campaign to keep Scotland in the UK ... they would have lost otherwise ... support for the EU in Scotland is over 70% now ... ethnically i'm a mixed bag great grandfather born in England, great, great Grandfather born in what is now N Ireland (Newry) it's not about hatred for me it is about taking a different route
        70% based on what? Have 8% of Scottish voters been enamoured by the EU's condonation of the beating of Catalan citizens? In 2014, 2m voted to remain in the UK. In 2016, only 1.6m voted to remain in the EU.

Why would Scotland want to lose £11-12bn per year in subsidies and have 63% of their exports taxed just so that they can take orders from the EU (where they'd have virtually no voice, less than Romania) instead of Westminster?

I think first Nicola Sturgeon must set out a plan for how she'll stump up £12bn extra in taxes and offset tariffs on £50bn-worth (63%) of exports. Additionally, she'll need a plan for what currency she'll use. Can't use the £ because the BoE isn't going to provide a back-stop for this adventure, and Scotland doesn't meet the fiscal criteria for the Euro. Additionally, she'll need a plan for coping with the higher interest on borrowing that Scotland will see as an independent country. People wouldn't even know what they were voting on until she has a plan for all the above.

Comment

• Originally posted by DavidVincent View Post
          Just some clarity on the figures. The 63% is indeed goods exported just to the UK, which stay in the UK. It is £50.5bn and the goods going from UK to Scotland is a similar amount at £62.7bn, which proves that this is intra-UK trading. EU exports from Scotland totalled just £12.3bn, hence there is no advantage and greater loss for Scotland if they left the UK in the event of no deal.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotland-28916642
          http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-scotlan...itics-38743532
          those figures include goods exported via English ports and airports ... i have already went through this with you on the Independence thread Mr Homes ... so stop regurgitating the same nonsense from that thread ... i'll point to you again why is the UK hiding our economical figures like oil coming from a "unknown region"

and btw the BBC is not a impartial source they were very partial during indyref before and after

Comment

70% based on what? Have 8% of Scottish voters been enamoured by the EU's condonation of the beating of Catalan citizens? In 2014, 2m voted to remain in the UK. In 2016, only 1.6m voted to remain in the EU.

Why would Scotland want to lose £11-12bn per year in subsidies and have 63% of their exports taxed just so that they can take orders from the EU (where they'd have virtually no voice, less than Romania) instead of Westminster?

I think first Nicola Sturgeon must set out a plan for how she'll stump up £12bn extra in taxes and offset tariffs on £50bn-worth (63%) of exports. Additionally, she'll need a plan for what currency she'll use. Can't use the £ because the BoE isn't going to provide a back-stop for this adventure, and Scotland doesn't meet the fiscal criteria for the Euro. Additionally, she'll need a plan for coping with the higher interest on borrowing that Scotland will see as an independent country. People wouldn't even know what they were voting on until she has a plan for all the above.

1.6 m voted to remain around 300K were blocked from voting in Brexit which you already know ... UK made EU membership integral to their campaign ... figures given by UKGov to ScotGov figures top tax man refutes as being crap and hiding our economical figures then a £40 billion difference from whisky sales between Ireland Scotland yet claims the difference is only double ... please ... hence the real desperation to keep Scotland in the UK

if we are talking deficits between deficit and borrowing the UK total last year was £150 billion ..

Comment

1.6 m voted to remain around 300K were blocked from voting in Brexit which you already know ... UK made EU membership integral to their campaign ... figures given by UKGov to ScotGov figures top tax man refutes as being crap and hiding our economical figures then a £40 billion difference from whisky sales between Ireland Scotland yet claims the difference is only double ... please ... hence the real desperation to keep Scotland in the UK

if we are talking deficits between deficit and borrowing the UK total last year was £150 billion ..
              Actually many millions were blocked from voting, because they're not 18 and therefore not adults and hence, not entitled to vote. But never mind, hundreds of thousands of students made up for it by voting twice - once at their term-time address and once and their home address.

Less Scots voted in the EU referendum because less Scots cared.

Oh dear, refuting the official figures again..... with some Professor who's trying to muddy the waters to make a 10% deficit disappear. If there is any truth whatsoever in his theories then I expect GERS to adjust their figures. Until then, the figures are as they are.

The £12bn I quote is the difference in the % deficit for Scotland and rUK, quoted relative to your GDP. 10% for Scotland, 2% for rUK. 8% of Scottish GDP is £12bn.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/poli...ere-wrong.html

The UK deficit was 3% or £60bn in total last year and £15bn of that was down to just 1/12th of its population (Scotland). Another £10bn of it was down to about 2.5% of its population (NI), £17bn of it was down to non-EU aid and £11bn of it was down to EU aid. Meaning that the whole of England and Wales were just £7bn, or 0.35% in the red, which is well below growth.
              Last edited by DavidVincent; 12-10-2017, 05:36 AM.

Comment

• Knew it.

http://www.taxresearch.org.uk/Blog/about/

About

This blog is written and managed by Richard Murphy on behalf of Tax Research LLP.
                Tax Research can be contacted at:
                33 Kingsley Walk
                Ely
                Cambridgeshire
                CB6 3BZ
                +44 (0) 777 552 1797
                richard.murphy[at]taxresearch.org.uk
                Sources of funding

From 1 November 2016 I am employed 3.5 days a week as Professor of Practice in International Political Economy at City, University of London. I am principally engaged by them to undertake research on the European tax gap, country-by-country reporting, BEPS implementation and related issues as part of a multi-university Horizon 2020 project funded by the European Union.

My remaining activities not now taken over by this project are funded by the Friends Provident Foundation, which is a Quaker trust wholly unrelated now to the company that provided its name.
                City, University of London is now close to concluding another grant agreement with the European Research Council for another grant looking at the impact of tax on corporate structuring. If this process is concluded as expected by the end of the year it is anticipated that I will become a full time employee of the university and my other funding would then cease as all the projects I am currently engaged on would either then be covered by my employment or will continue voluntarily and unfunded, as this blog has always been.

My only other expected sources of income then arising would be royalties from book sales, any fees paid as a director of Cambridge Econometrics, occasional research fees (such as that I undertake for the Local Authority Pension Fund Forum) and appearance fees for media companies, which are usually modest.

Although I retain a practicing certificate from the Institute of Chartered Accountant in England and Wales my fee income as a chartered accountant is now virtually non-existent, and there are no plans that it should increase.

They're insidious blighters these EU lot, seeking to undermine reality at every junction. Makes me quite angry really. This is the sort of subversion and dishonesty you'd normally only expect from Russia or China.

Comment

those figures include goods exported via English ports and airports ... i have already went through this with you on the Independence thread Mr Homes ... so stop regurgitating the same nonsense from that thread ... i'll point to you again why is the UK hiding our economical figures like oil coming from a "unknown region"

and btw the BBC is not a impartial source they were very partial during indyref before and after
                  No they don't, that's why the quantity exported from rUK to Scotland is of the same magnitude (£62.7bn vs £50.5bn). Unless you're claiming that the rest of the UK is shipping copious quantities of goods via your ports instead of their own, but somehow the same ports don't have the capacity for your own exports.

The BBC is very pro-EU too, so what's your point? If anyone had a genuine case about these figures, they could make it officially and get them revised, but they can't.

From gov.scot.

http://www.gov.scot/Topics/Statistic...ESSPublication

• Exports to the rest of the UK rely more heavily on the service sector than international exports as more than half (55%) of the rest of the UK exports are services compared to 38% of international exports.
                  Got that, more than half your exports to rUK are services, so they aren't even things that can be 'sent out via a UK port'. So your exports to rUK are greater than your exports to the EU even assuming you don't send any physical goods whatsoever to rUK, i.e. even if nobody here drinks Scotch Whisky.

• Exports by Scottish onshore businesses to the rest of the UK in 2015 (excluding oil and gas) were estimated at £49.8 billion, an increase of £2.1 billion (4.4%) over the year. This increase was driven by an increase in the export of utilities (electricity, gas, water etc).
                  Were the utilities being sent out via ports too?
                  Last edited by DavidVincent; 12-10-2017, 09:58 AM.

Comment

1.6 m voted to remain around 300K were blocked from voting in Brexit which you already know
                    What do you mean by "blocked"?
                    In civilised countries, children and foreigners cannot participate in general elections or referendums. Children are immature, while foreigners are not citizens. If all EU citizens residing in the UK had been allowed to vote, Brexit would not have happened.
                    Last edited by Musashi; 12-10-2017, 11:55 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by bfc1001 View Post

but from a Scottish nationalist s point of view brexit / independence are one of the same . I would guess tizer does not see these two as separate issues even though the rest of the UK does .
                      the issue is that Brexit is happening - Independence for Scotland is an 'aspiration'

Comment

• And furthermore, the SNP's desire for independence has never had anything to do with Brexit or the EU ever, they've wanted independence since before the EU or even the EEC existed. It's just a convenient bandwagon for them to hop on now to pretend like they really care for EU values, just to try and break up a 300+ year union. They held the last independence referendum before they even knew there would be a Brexit referendum. The SNP's goals have nothing to do with the EU and they are outright liars for pretending that they do.

Comment

• Originally posted by Musashi View Post
                          What do you mean by "blocked"?
                          In civilised countries, children cannot participate in general elections or referendums.
                          Exactly, several million dogs and cats were also blocked from voting.

Comment

Exactly, several million dogs and cats were also blocked from voting.
                            who meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee

Comment

• Originally posted by Musashi View Post

Come on, JHomes = DavidVincent.
                              Oh, you got him banned!
                              Brexit's going well.

Comment

• Originally posted by ATSzmrots View Post

Oh, you got him banned!
                                Brexit's going well.
                                I liked the 'Invaders' reference to be honest

Comment