No announcement yet.

Brexit thread

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• isn't joseph muscat the current president of the eu ...... from malta ? looking at the graph above surely they could have found someone who s country actually contributes something to the eu coffers . that kind of experience could actually help in brexit negotiations.

Comment

• I guess there s always junker .......Wait a minute..... nope . ok then verhofstadt......Nope .There seems to be a pattern emerging.....

Comment

• Tusk....... dam another one !

Comment

• Yeah, you've noticed a pattern there, somehow all the chief people in EU are from countries that are net beneficiaries of the EU budget. E.g. Juncker - Luxembourg - gets 6-7 times what they put in back. Verhofstadt - Belgium - gets £2bn/year back. Tusk - Poland - gets £12bn per year back.

Corrupt system.

Comment

• I wonder if there all nationalist , that would be a turn up for the books ; they are what they propose to be fighting against .
            As for the brexit bill , let's say we paid up and did exactly what the EU wants then went on to make a huge success of it ...... wouldn't the EU just copy the model but without the bill ? you would think that the EU would back us a little more ; the fact that were at least trying something different to try and better ourselves .

Comment

• I wonder, if we were one of the net beneficiaries, would the EU actually owe us a fee for leaving?

Comment

• Heh, just noted something that hasn't been mentioned wrt EU cost to member states.

https://europa.eu/european-union/abo...enue-income_en

How is the EU funded?

The 3 main sources of revenue are:
                • a small percentage of gross national income (usually around 0.7%) contributed by all EU countries - the largest source of budget revenue. The underlying principles are solidarity and ability to pay – though the amount may be adjusted to avoid over-burdening particular countries.
                • a small percentage of each EU country’s standardised value-added tax revenue, usually around 0.3%.
                • a large share of import duties on non-EU products (the country that collects the duty retains a small percentage).
                So we will save on VAT too and if a deal did end up in tariffs, HMRC would collect the entirety, whereas EU states would only get a small fraction.
                Last edited by JHomes; 10-04-2017, 04:37 AM.

Comment

• vat . another eu invention .

http://www.friendly-accountants.com/...vat-in-the-uk/

wow , and they put a 0.3% tariff on it . no wonder there so keen for countries to raise it . from a uk point of view vat has been the biggest growth tax over the last 40 years and the eu have been in direct benefit of that . is that just coincidence ? am I reading this right ?

Comment

• Originally posted by JHomes View Post
                    I wonder, if we were one of the net beneficiaries, would the EU actually owe us a fee for leaving?
                    Hopefully we will get some reduction for keeping Scotland

Originally posted by bfc1001 View Post
                    vat . another eu invention .

wow , and they put a 0.3% tariff on it . no wonder there so keen for countries to raise it . from a uk point of view vat has been the biggest growth tax over the last 40 years and the eu have been in direct benefit of that . is that just coincidence ? am I reading this right ?
                    I did e-mail the Treasury to ask what they were doing with VAT once we have left the EU. Guess what not got a reply yet - but I will keep pressing.

Comment

• Originally posted by bfc1001 View Post

The import duties on non-EU goods is a big one though. The EU takes the vast majority of that, which is X% of £300bn/year! They silently evaded mentioning this during the referendum. I bet the result would have been more than 52:48 if they had.

Comment

• Originally posted by blackcatnursery View Post

Hopefully we will get some reduction for keeping Scotland

I did e-mail the Treasury to ask what they were doing with VAT once we have left the EU. Guess what not got a reply yet - but I will keep pressing.
                        Yeah, basically Scotland is hoping the EU will subsidise them more than the UK.

Comment

• Originally posted by bfc1001 View Post

What amount of BS i am reading
                          VAT is not a EU invention. 193 countries apply a VAT and it is one of the most reward bringing tax, more than income tax in most countries
                          EU is at fault for a lot of things but a lot of things people think EU is at fault for should first be looked at own govs levels.
                          BTW EU councils (the ones who votes VAT increase for example) are national govs, you should do a bit more finger pointing at your own gov about tax increase

Given what i wrote above (the income generated by VAT) you can bet that it won't disapear. It' s a major tax income for 193 countries

Comment

• VAT is one of the most regressive taxes around - it hurts the poor far more than the wealthy. It is the government clipping the ticket for doing absolutely nothing - in effect you are being charged simply for existing.

193 countries (including my own) doing something stupid doesn't somehow make it smart.

Comment

• Originally posted by TheKiwi View Post
                              VAT is one of the most regressive taxes around - it hurts the poor far more than the wealthy. It is the government clipping the ticket for doing absolutely nothing - in effect you are being charged simply for existing.

193 countries (including my own) doing something stupid doesn't somehow make it smart.
                              I agree that from a social equality pov, VAT is one of the most unfair tax.
                              Yet from national incomes pov, it's one of the most efficient
                              No way govs are gonna drop it

Comment

• Which is great if your only concern is "how can governments do as much looting as possible". And I agree. As likely as crack-whores giving up crack.

Comment

Working...
                                X