• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Britain considering £1,000-a-year levy for skilled EU workers
    Seriously ???

Here : https://www.theguardian.com/uk-news/...obert-goodwill

Comment

• Originally posted by Bitogno View Post
      Somehow doubt it. Anyway how the hell would the Guardian know?

Comment

• Originally posted by Bitogno View Post
        Good luck on that. I'd love to see all these chavs and benefit parasites (excluding disabled people whom I don't count as parasites) assembling Jaguars in my local JLR plants in Coventry, Solihull and West Bromwich. All you can see there are young English guys or guys coming from the A8 countries. There are hardly any Asians doing skilled jobs, as they cannot do manual jobs where quality is required. There are many Asians doing managerial jobs, though, as they perform much better doing them. So, any idiotic levies would be a shot in the foot.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohninMK View Post

As I understand it, until Article 50 is active neither side is allowed to talk to each other about deals and details. Seems crazy to me. I suspect that a lot of the noise on the subject ATM is that some, on both sides. are starting to realise that the UK is in a stronger negotiating position that might have been initially thought.
          It´s more simple than that. As long as article 50 has not been invoked by Britain, officially Britain has not expressed a desire to leave. I understand Britain needs to make sure it does´nt lose too much out of the exit by coming unprepared to the negotiations.

Comment

• Die Welt am Sonntag interview with Chancellor of the Exchequer Philip Hammond (In English)

https://www.welt.de/english-news/art...-partners.html

Best part:

Welt am Sonntag: The impression on the European continent is also that your government sees the future business model of the U.K. as being the tax haven of Europe. The government wants to introduce the lowest corporate tax rate among all industrialized countries.
            Hammond: We are now objectively a European-style economy. We are on the U.S. end of the European spectrum, but we do have an open-market economy with a social model that is recognizably the European social model that is recognizably in the mainstream of European norms, not U.S. norms. And most of us who had voted Remain would like the U.K. to remain a recognizably European-style economy with European-style taxation systems, European-style regulation systems etcetera. I personally hope we will be able to remain in the mainstream of European economic and social thinking. But if we are forced to be something different, then we will have to become something different.
            Welt am Sonntag: We don’t understand: Who or what would force you?
            Hammond: Economic circumstances. If we have no access to the European market, if we are closed off, if Britain were to leave the European Union without an agreement on market access, then we could suffer from economic damage at least in the short-term. In this case, we could be forced to change our economic model and we will have to change our model to regain competitiveness.

Comment

• ^
              Empty threats from a semi-failed state.

Comment

• It reminds a bit of a kid can't have it my way, smash the whole thing to pieces...

I hope the EU has the backbone to not play the "der klügere gibt nach / the smarter one gives in" ...as this seems to be the calculation of the threats. I would say be it become "something

different". Country with lowered social standards would describe it better....

Comment

• the UK does not speak for Scotland we intend to stay and play a positive part within the EU

Comment

• Originally posted by ATSzmrots View Post
                    ^
                    Empty threats from a semi-failed state.
                    I can think of a few EU countries that would like to be as failed as the UK.

Its not an empty threat either. This is the remain voting UK Chancellor telling the Germans, note he didn't say it back home, that, unlike the Cameron 'negotiations' which were anything but, this time its for real. The UK negotiators are being issued with hob nail boots and if they have to kick up shit they will. With a minimum trade imbalance of £61B plus WTO rules the UK has quite a good hand to play. I say "minimum" as, due to a statistical anomaly, UK rest of world exports that go by container via Belgium/Holland are treated as exports to the EU reducing the trade imbalance.

Indeed, fortuitously the current drop in the value of the pound is showing the Europeans one side of the effect of having a tariff imposed against them, loss of profits. Probably not loss of market as the cost increase is also affecting their competitors from the rest of the world. But then the EU has just got a lesson from Russia on the effects of loss of market.

Comment

• Originally posted by Tizer View Post
                      the UK does not speak for Scotland we intend to stay and play a positive part within the EU
                      Good luck with getting that concept passed the Spanish.

Comment

I can think of a few EU countries that would like to be as failed as the UK.

Its not an empty threat either. This is the remain voting UK Chancellor telling the Germans, note he didn't say it back home, that, unlike the Cameron 'negotiations' which were anything but, this time its for real. The UK negotiators are being issued with hob nail boots and if they have to kick up shit they will. With a minimum trade imbalance of £61B plus WTO rules the UK has quite a good hand to play. I say "minimum" as, due to a statistical anomaly, UK rest of world exports that go by container via Belgium/Holland are treated as exports to the EU reducing the trade imbalance.

Indeed, fortuitously the current drop in the value of the pound is showing the Europeans one side of the effect of having a tariff imposed against them, loss of profits. Probably not loss of market as the cost increase is also affecting their competitors from the rest of the world. But then the EU has just got a lesson from Russia on the effects of loss of market.

The EU feels nothing in regards to Russia. Russia on the other hand...that should be the real lesson.

Then you will have the trade imbalance with somone else as the UK is obviously not producing this stuff. The EU will lose and the UK will lose. Childish.

But the UK will lose more so I say go on. I would remain unimpressed by such behaviour. It was expectable though.

Comment

• Originally posted by picanha View Post

The EU feels nothing in regards to Russia. Russia on the other hand...that should be the real lesson.

Then you will have the trade imbalance with somone else as the UK is obviously not producing this stuff. The EU will lose and the UK will lose. Childish.

But the UK will lose more so I say go on. I would remain unimpressed by such behaviour. It was expectable though.
                          The EU feels nothing? Tell that to the Spanish/French/Italian/Polish etc etc farmers who have lost billions of Euros that they may not recover in the future if the Russian import substitution efforts work.

Yes, the UK will still have a trade imbalance but better it is with the EU than other parts of the world. That is why the negotiations will have to be fair as opposed to idiot politicians/bureaucrats in Europe saying they are going to make the UK suffer for destroying their European dream. This was just the UK Chancellor saying think again. Someone must have read one of Trump's 'How to get a good deal' books.

Comment

Good luck with getting that concept passed the Spanish.
                            it would be funny to see the reaction from Spanish fishermen ... no access to our fishing grounds, 1/3rd extra added on their journey to Norwegian fishing grounds and that is just for starters

Comment

• Originally posted by Tizer View Post
                              the UK does not speak for Scotland we intend to stay and play a positive part within the EU

Errr...it sort of does, in every possible respect. Insisting anything to the contrary is simply a delusion...a nasty, nationalist delusion as that.

Comment

• Originally posted by picanha View Post
                                As Johnin points out, this is no infantile threat from the Chancellor, merely a warning that punitive bureaucracy within Brexit negotiations will not be taken lying down by the UK.

I ask you, if your own country were in this position, where your nation has conducted a democratic vote and is threatened, by some, with a revanchist attitude for exercising this right, would you not expect your financial leaders to do the same? Would you still consider it so unreasonable?

Comment

Working...
                                X