Internet Trolling as a hybrid warfare tool

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Internet Trolling as a hybrid warfare tool

Interesting report released by NATO Strategic Communications Centre of Excellence.

http://stratcomcoe.org/internet-trol...-case-latvia-0

Internet Trolling as a hybrid warfare tool: the case of Latvia

The recent Russian-Ukrainian conflict demonstrated how fake identities and accounts were used to disseminate narratives through social media, blogs, and web commentaries in order to manipulate, harass, or deceive opponents. Several reports by investigative journalists have reported about existence of so called troll farms in Russian cities, employing people to spread disinformation, rumours, or falsified facts, enter into discussions and flood topic-related web spaces with their own messages or abuse. Nevertheless, trolling is still a relatively unexplored phenomenon.

Thx good read

Comment

My Year as a Pro-Russia Troll Magnet: International Shaming Campaign and an SMS from Dead Father

A year ago Yle (Finnish Broadcasting Company) investigative journalist Jessikka Aro started a series on Russian infowar and became a target for systematic pro-Russia propaganda. This is her story.
      http://kioski.yle.fi/omat/my-year-as...a-troll-magnet
      Last edited by Teme; 31-01-2016, 02:25 AM.

Comment

At first I thought NATO was trolling with the cover art, but scrolling further it appears as if it's an actual report. Will give it a read. Cheers.

Comment

Putin’s People Are Not Happy With Us

The last two years have been rather tough for the Russian government’s main English-language propaganda outlet, RT.

Following Russia’s illegal and nearly-universally-condemned annexation of the Crimean peninsula, RT anchor Liz Wahl, then anchor and correspondent Sara Firth, quit in protest of what they called “propaganda” which they were forced to spread in order to cover up the Kremlin’s foreign policy activity.
          http://www.interpretermag.com/putins...happy-with-us/

Comment

Oh...what a surprise.... another thread about "ebil rushuns" started by the captain of BBB team (Baltic Butthurt Brigade). Psychological fixation is a fascinating phenomenon to observe....

Comment

Originally posted by Aradan View Post
              Oh...what a surprise.... another thread about "ebil rushuns" started by the captain of BBB team (Baltic Butthurt Brigade). Psychological fixation is a fascinating phenomenon to observe....
              Its only natural that if "weaponised trolling" exists so should weaponised butthurt.

Comment

Western press and politicions cannot understand that today we live in internet world and people from around the globe can read and share their opinion under articles and their opinion can be contrary.

In russian schools foreign language started from the 5 grade (usually it's english). A lot of schools started to educate foreign language from the 2nd grade and have 2nd foreign language later.
                Nothing surprise that russians and other people can read can compare information from different sources and have their own opinons.

Comment

Originally posted by Aradan View Post
                  Case in point....

There was no need for a NATO study....the old mp.net,or the current Ukraine/Syrian threads is all the evidence of Russian 50 cent armies unleashed on the internet.

Comment

Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone and i imagine great effort will be made to keep up appearances on this thread too. Reminds me of that ‘stages of denial’ Polandball. Scary how apt that one was.

Comment

Yes , Russia should go the way of the west and finance TV channels, Radio stations and NGOs abroad to influance the population of foreign countries.

Comment

Originally posted by ~UNiOnJaCk~ View Post
                        Shouldn't be a surprise to anyone and i imagine great effort will be made to keep up appearances on this thread too. Reminds me of that ‘stages of denial’ Polandball. Scary how apt that one was.

What does that refer to?

Comment

Originally posted by DasVivo View Post

What does that refer to?
                          To you beeing a Putin Troll, or even Putin himself...Duh....

Comment

Originally posted by DasVivo View Post

What does that refer to?
                            It means should we be so blessed as to be among warriors of the hammer and sickle then i imagine this thread will also turn in to the usual 'ebil West' 'poor Rossiya' cluster fuck.

Comment

Originally posted by ~UNiOnJaCk~ View Post

It means should we be so blessed as to be among warriors of the hammer and sickle then i imagine this thread will also turn in to the usual 'ebil West' 'poor Rossiya' cluster fuck.

You mean a Topic about Russia (and its problems/threat, both of which alternate like a form of Schizophrenia), written as usual by a non Russian is proof of Russian "Trolls"/"Warriors" when they and the sympathizers of it inevitably challenge the topic and its basis?

With each passing month I'm really wondering which side is trolling which....

Comment

Working...
                              X