Things I am currently hating

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by Cowboy's daughter View Post
    I'm tired of cold weather! It's Texas, it's supposed to be hot and sunny, except not in the winter time some years worse than others!
    75 one day 16 the next night, ugh. and 30-40 the next day. with a cold north wind.
    just had a wave of heavy sleet move thru DFW area and the ground is about half covered in white sleet. about first frozen precip of any type here this winter. short though.

There were two HUGE Canadian geese flew low over our place yesterday, maybe 25 feet off the ground and honking really loud. (we have some small man made lakes here close) (those geese look so large up close)

Comment

• Originally posted by riderboy View Post

More freezing rain here today. I slipped on it last week and fell flat on my ass.
      Oh no! That's not good!

@ commanding, I know, we (Texas) needs some moisture!

My ex & I had a small tank on our place out in the country, & one year some Canadian geese stopped there! They were just beautiful.

Comment

Oh no! That's not good!

@ commanding, I know, we (Texas) needs some moisture!

My ex & I had a small tank on our place out in the country, & one year some Canadian geese stopped there! They were just beautiful.
        Cowboy's daughter those Canadian geese wingspan was huge and I was wondering the wingspan and weight of one, 4 to 6 foot wingspan and up to 14 lbs of weight......that is the size of a wild turkey weight wise.......no wonder they wreck jet airliner engines when sucked into one. also the google says they live to be 24 years old. I bet they taste good. John Graves talks about shooting them on the Brazos River in his book goodbye to a river.

Comment

• The endless bitching dragging this forum down.

Comment

• Originally posted by commanding View Post

Cowboy's daughter those Canadian geese wingspan was huge and I was wondering the wingspan and weight of one, 4 to 6 foot wingspan and up to 14 lbs of weight......that is the size of a wild turkey weight wise.......no wonder they wreck jet airliner engines when sucked into one. also the google says they live to be 24 years old. I bet they taste good. John Graves talks about shooting them on the Brazos River in his book goodbye to a river.
            Yes, the ones that stopped at our tank I think weighed more than 14 pounds. There was just 4-6 that stayed at our tank a few days. I was amazed at how tame they seemed. My ex and I went over there and threw out grain for them. In a few days, they were gone. I may still have a photo of them somewhere.
            @ John Graves shooting them on the Brazos - wow!

Comment

Yes, the ones that stopped at our tank I think weighed more than 14 pounds. There was just 4-6 that stayed at our tank a few days. I was amazed at how tame they seemed. My ex and I went over there and threw out grain for them. In a few days, they were gone. I may still have a photo of them somewhere.
              @ John Graves shooting them on the Brazos - wow!
              Cowboy's daughter yes that John Graves (Texas born author) was a great story teller and the Goodbye to a River was his pinnacle of Texas writing, the man was an outdoorsman deluxe and loved to live off the land, wild game, fish, learn the sounds of markings of native animals, and everything about them from how to clean them to cook them, hunt them etc.
              I think member primer in our little forum would appreciate Mr. John Graves book as well as his life story, even though it mostly took place in Texas and in mostly a different time. primer is an outdoorsman and hunter , fisherman, etc.

(Mr. primer the author I speak of (Graves) was a WW2 US marine veteran of the south Pacific and was very seriously wounded by a Japanese grenade during the war, lost an eye) as well as very intelligent and highly educated having graduated from Rice University in Texas the most difficult university to attend in the state of Texas). Mr. Graves died about 4 yrs ago, I met him one time at a book signing and was highly honored to do so. I have half a dozen various books written by him. All about the outdoors and wilds of Texas. He was a real "wordsmith".

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Graves_(author)

Comment

• https://www.google.co.nz/search?sour....0.VsECA40_O4Q

Thanks

I read James A Michener's Texas when it was published. My cousin gave it too me. The hardships they had.
                Last edited by primer; 11-02-2018, 10:51 AM.

Comment

• I love James Michener's Texas. I always enjoyed reading his books. There's also a movie "Texas", based on the book. it's really good as well.

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0108316/

I grew up reading J. Frank Dobie

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/J._Frank_Dobie Coronado's Children was the second book written by J. Frank Dobie, published by The Southwest Press in 1930. It deals with lore of lost mines and lost treasures in the American Southwest, for the most part in Texas.
                  The Spanish explorer Coronado quested for the fabled Seven Cities of Gold in the 16th century. Dobie thought that recent searchers for lost mines and lost treasure in the American West were the spiritual heirs of Coronado, hence the name of the book, "Coronado's Children."

Comment

• Originally posted by digrar View Post
                    Did you start at the lowest speed setting on the drill/driver, then ramp it up? Use a stanley knife to get as much paint out of the screw head? Put the best fitting screw driver into the screw head and then tap it with a hammer, turn tap, turn tap, tap tap tap while turning? If you've got the screw head out a little bit, you can use a set of locking pliers/vice grips on it. You could also try using some rapid setting super glue to glue the driver bit/screw driver into the stripped screw head.
                    ​Yes, no, and no. Thanks for the tips, I'll give them a try.

Comment

• I hate strata.

Comment

• Received a mail from my lawyer this evening.

Even in death my father is still able to be a pita. But what pisses me the most is that I now have to explain obvious things in details, such as:
                        -why is PhD is important.
                        -why is doing a PhD in geostrategy modern history is importan and relevant.
                        -why this is something serious that demands dedication, abnegation and seriousness. Forcing you to put your whole social life on the side for a few years.
                        -why being single and not running after girls is not something "uncommon" while doing a PhD.
                        -why, while doing a PhD, you don't have time to do pretty much anything else of your time. Since you are dedicating it to working on your dissertation.

We, researchers, follow a sort of moral and ethical code. We have to be honest and objective. Lying, as a researcher, is one of the biggest mistake we can make.
                        But good God! Facing and "debating" people who absolutely lack any kind of honesty is the worst... lawyers are despicable. People like them tend to compared to intellectual cancers. And if they could actually give cancer, I would be having a stage 8 brain cancer.

Anyway, I wrote an answer, a few pages long. Notes, comments, observations, etc... sent them to my lawyer who will then do I don't know what with them. But now it is way past midnight, and I know I won't be able to sleep tonight. And tomorrow is going to be fucking hard to focus on anything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ivan le Fou View Post
                          Received a mail from my lawyer this evening.

Even in death my father is still able to be a pita. But what pisses me the most is that I now have to explain obvious things in details, such as:
                          -why this is something serious that demands dedication, abnegation and seriousness. Forcing you to put your whole social life on the side for a few years.
                          -why being single and not running after girls is not something "uncommon" while doing a PhD.
                          -why, while doing a PhD, you don't have time to do pretty much anything else of your time. Since you are dedicating it to working on your dissertation.

We, researchers, follow a sort of moral and ethical code. We have to be honest and objective. Lying, as a researcher, is one of the biggest mistake we can make.
                          But good God! Facing and "debating" people who absolutely lack any kind of honesty is the worst... lawyers are despicable. People like them tend to compared to intellectual cancers. And if they could actually give cancer, I would be having a stage 8 brain cancer.

Anyway, I wrote an answer, a few pages long. Notes, comments, observations, etc... sent them to my lawyer who will then do I don't know what with them. But now it is way past midnight, and I know I won't be able to sleep tonight. And tomorrow is going to be fucking hard to focus on anything.
                          I take it there are conditions attached to the estate? Makes me wonder how lawyers sleep at night

Comment

• The snow came back a few days ago. And now its adding more layers.

Comment

• Originally posted by Ivan le Fou View Post
                              Received a mail from my lawyer this evening.

Sorry to hear this Ivan, I wondered where you were today, now i know. Peace, space and thoughts to you and your efforts.

Comment

• Sorry Ivan... Some people just seem to generate a lot of angst and trouble with their legal machinations. Deal with it and move on...

Comment

Working...
                                X