No announcement yet.

What are you drinking?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tell us what you found! I'd like to try their red ale and their golden, maybe the Sherwood stout in fall or winter!

Sooooo....

Here's a fun one to try: Kona Brewing Kanaha Blonde Ale.

I was expecting a really light and refreshing beer, and got a twist on taste that is very interesting. The very, very light ale has an fruity aromatic note that I first took for "juicy" hops. However, I think it is actually that pine-like, slightly peppery note that comes from mango. There is mango (juice/flavor?) in the beer and it is very different!

Comment

• My guess is right now he's in the Vat and Fiddle, their taphouse - it's right outside Nottingham station so always one of my first ports of call when I visit friends there. Not much to look at but it's a good boozer.

http://www.castlerockbrewery.co.uk/pubs/vat-and-fiddle/

Comment

• We did indeed go to the Vat and Fiddle before cruising on into town. Loads of good pubs in Nottingham, too many to choose from.

Euroamerican Tried all their beers, I particularly liked the Screech Owl and preservation, not so keen on the Harvest Pale, found it a bit bland and thin.

Comment

• Thanks for the info, Gaz and Downsizer. I would like to get to Nottingham some day and especially to one of those pubs. The Preservation Ale sounds like the one to try.

----
          So, the latest beer I've just tested is the Red Hook My Oh My Caramel Macchiato Milk Stout. It was not nearly as heavy as I'd expect, and it did have wonderfully malty taste with caramel-ish and coffee notes. I think it's a winner as a tasty "I'll have just one" choice for a cool, cold day.

Comment

• Preservation was good, I'm getting more into Red Ales these days. It was quite malty with a fair hit of caramel.

Comment

• Nice. I'm more attuned to malty brews, with some hints of sweetness or subtle spice or fruit tones, rather than the hoppy stuff that is so in vogue. For every day drinkers, I'm pretty happy with American lagers, extremely light ales, etc.

Thursday night's try: High Five Hefe (Ginger Honey Wheat) by Iron Horse Brewery from Ellensburg WA. Nice, light, fruity and yeasty..... A bit high on the alcohol level at 6 percent.

@Downsizer: the same brewery has a stout variant called Irish Death. It is extremely smooth, with a malty sweetness and a color of a black lager.

A person could drink a bunch of these, and then really hate themselves the next day. It's 7.8 percent and marketed as being a bit of a category buster, and a bit dangerous.

Comment

• Originally posted by Euroamerican View Post
                Thanks for the info, Gaz and Downsizer. I would like to get to Nottingham some day and especially to one of those pubs. The Preservation Ale sounds like the one to try.

----
                So, the latest beer I've just tested is the Red Hook My Oh My Caramel Macchiato Milk Stout. It was not nearly as heavy as I'd expect, and it did have wonderfully malty taste with caramel-ish and coffee notes. I think it's a winner as a tasty "I'll have just one" choice for a cool, cold day.
                Nottingham - is a great place for a night out

Currently on cans of cloudy cider from Lidl - currently on 4th can - numbs the pain from decorating the rooms downstairs in the old wing of the house - never buy a house with a beamed ceiling

Comment

• Trying a Lost Coast Watermelon Wheat Ale. Interesting, but a bit of a tart watermelon rind flavor finish. It's not a sour, but a sour adjacent wheat ale with the flavor and bouquet of watermelon Jolly Ranchers! Good on a hot summer evening, but I would not want to try to pair it with anything or drink too many of them!

Comment

• I've been dry for nearly two weeks....and it's killing me. My life is so dull without beer

Comment

• Johnny Walker Double Black,, straight up,,, goes down very nicely

Comment

• Originally posted by downsizer View Post
                        I've been dry for nearly two weeks....and it's killing me. My life is so dull without beer
                        But think of all the calories you are saving for other tasty treats!

---------

So the latest tasting is that of the Guinness Blonde American Lager. It starts with a hoppy ale note but quickly fades into a light and tasty American style. It's not wimpy and light like an standard US lager, but it about as close as you can get for what I'd expect Guinness to have its name on.

Interestingly, it is made in Latrobe Pa. That is the old home of Rolling Rock, before a major brewery pulled a stinker of a change by moving it to the midwest.

Comment

• Available in pretty much every supermarket here now... and enjoying it for noon on a hot holidays’ day.

Comment

• Originally posted by JakeScully View Post
                            Available in pretty much every supermarket here now... and enjoying it for noon on a hot holidays’ day.
                            Same down here,, excellent beer,, love it,, goes down very well on a hot day

Comment

• Still dry. Going wet next thursday! Could be messy.

Comment

• So, Downsizer! How goes the deflowering of your liver?

Comment

Working...
                                X