Ask a Question About The Netherlands

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by picanha View Post

There are some good Goudas here. You just have to chose the more expensive one havened ripened longer. I like them old, dry and already getting orangy.

Bitterballen! I also love them was once persuaded by a takeaway guy to try them - so nice. Though I still don't know how tehy make them - still fluid on the inside and a crispy crust on the outside.

The FEBO outlets - I also can't pass by one without having something

https://www.febo.nl/

Hah yes! The FEBOs never cease to amaze my foreign friends whenever they visit me. I think it epitomizes the contempt in which we hold food sometimes, it's the ultimate fastfood. About bitterballen - I think it's better to not know...just enjoy them
    Last edited by Fred333; 14-11-2017, 09:54 AM. Reason: Damnit, missed an opportunity to make a Trump-joke :(

Comment

• The Amsterdam city Council has approved plans for the eventual construction of what amounts to a new borough around -part of- the Western Harbours, tentatively called Haven-Stad (original, no?) The development would contain between 40 and 70,000 residences (houses, apartments) and enough corporate space to employ roughly 50,000 The first phase of the plan will see the construction of residential areas around Sloterdijk. Following phases will take quite some time, however, as the city has an agreement with local industry that it will not greenlight residential building in the Harbours until 2029.
      https://www.volkskrant.nl/binnenland...uwen~a4540973/

I understand it's necessary, but i'm a bit wary of Amsterdam going Borg and slowly assimilating the surrounding towns and cities in a quest to keep housing relatively affordable for a growing population.

Comment

• Originally posted by RSone View Post

I understand it's necessary, but i'm a bit wary of Amsterdam going Borg and slowly assimilating the surrounding towns and cities in a quest to keep housing relatively affordable for a growing population.

That sounds alot like Hamburgs newest quarter.
        It even has the same name
        https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HafenCity

Well atleast they seem ambitious in Amsterdam

Comment

• Originally posted by N-rg View Post

That sounds alot like Hamburgs newest quarter.
          It even has the same name
          https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/HafenCity

Well atleast they seem ambitious in Amsterdam
          With the housing market in the Randstad, and especially Amsterdam being what it is, they kinda have to be. Amsterdam real estate is a pressure cooker right now, and the city is taking steps to adress that and projected population growth, but I honestly doubt a project that won't -as it stands atm- start in earnest until a decade + from now will do anything to adress it in the short run. Amsterdammers wil continue to leave the city for the surrounding municipalities in search of cheaper housing, but that will only drive up prices there as well; you can see it at work in a considerable radius around Amsterdam.

Comment

• Many (All?) large cities in Europe have this problem. I think it is inevitable that they expand.

It is also an economic interest. Companies need workers who can live nearby affordably and with families.

Restricting new building areas onyl helps keep prices high. Think about - who profits from that?

In Munich we have built new quarters already in the 60s: Neu-Perlach.

https://de.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neuperlach

And a few are/have been built right now. Everytime I pass a s-bahn lien I seldomly take complete new quarters are there.

The problem I see is making them "have life" and not deteriorating quickly to sleep only satelites. The archies and planners are not good at it.

The cities also grow faster than thought.

In Munich it was again corrected over 1,8 million in 2030 from 1,545 million now.

http://www.sueddeutsche.de/muenchen/...5?reduced=true

Basically a new city the size of Augsburg added...

If politics don't want this development they must make the province more attractive.

In Germany we have teh problem of not sufficient internet bandwith on the countryside for example.

In some remote villages you only get ISDN in 2017.

Unacceptable for young folks and companies.

A solution would be to enlarge the wireless network like in developing countries.

Comment

Many (All?) large cities in Europe have this problem. I think it is inevitable that they expand.

It is also an economic interest. Companies need workers who can live nearby affordably and with families.
              The problem with Amsterdam is that is slowly running out of space to expand in. as the city was already expanded significantly throughout the twentieth century: There was the general enlargement plan in the immediate postwar decades, urban renewal in the seventies, Eastern Harbours, IJburg, etc. In the north it is constrained by Zaanstad and Waterland, in the west by Schiphol airport, in the east by Weesp/Naarden-Bussum, and in the south it is borderd by the Amstelland, the Haarlemmermeer and the provincial border with Utrecht. Expansion into the polders is a possibilty, but Amstelveen is kind of in the way, and I wager it would raise some serious question under the current comprehensive planning documents for the (northern) Randstad, which emphasise the hydrological and ecological importance of the Green Heart; the area the city would be expanding into. Given the nightmare longterm urban planning must be in this region, smarter planning within the existing city limits and turning the (large) industrial zones in the northwest areas of Amsterdam into residential-business zones is the most sensible short-term approach, but that too, has its limits: Where will the industry go (the harbours around Amsterdam still have an import economic function) and will it be enough to alleviate demographic pressure?
              Last edited by RSone; 24-11-2017, 06:22 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by RSone View Post
                The problem with Amsterdam is that is slowly running out of space to expand in. as the city was already expanded significantly throughout the twentieth century: There was the general enlargement plan in the immediate postwar decades, urban renewal in the seventies, Eastern Harbours, IJburg, etc. In the north it is constrained by Zaanstad and Waterland, in the west by Schiphol airport, in the east by Weesp/Naarden-Bussum, and in the south it is borderd by the Amstelland, the Haarlemmermeer and the provincial border with Utrecht. Expansion into the polders is a possibilty, but Amstelveen is kind of in the way, and I wager it would raise some serious question under the current comprehensive planning documents for the (northern) Randstad, which emphasise the hydrological and ecological importance of the Green Heart; area the city would be expanding into. Given the nightmare longterm urban planning must be in this region, smarter planning within the existing city limits and turning the (large) industrial zones in the northwest areas of Amsterdam into residential-business zones is the most sensible short-term approach, but that too, has its limits: Where will the industry go (the harbours around Amsterdam still have an import economic function) and will it be enough to alleviate demographic pressure?
                I propose we build a few islands off the coast, connect it with a rail tunnel and ship every hipster, BN-ers and assorted news/media/entertainment-folk. Once they moved there we should consider dumping offal and slaughterhouse waist around the islands to attract sharks....and discontinue the rail connection. It would free up some housing and drive down prices too.....

Comment

• Originally posted by tercio67 View Post

I propose we build a few islands off the coast, connect it with a rail tunnel and ship every hipster, BN-ers and assorted news/media/entertainment-folk. Once they moved there we should consider dumping offal and slaughterhouse waist around the islands to attract sharks....and discontinue the rail connection. It would free up some housing and drive down prices too.....
                  Same goes for a replacement for Schiphol. Just build it in the North Sea and put in an underground rail link/road tunnel. Sure it requires a large investment, but it frees up many of the problems that Schiphol has now (and many people have with it) for decades to come. Also plenty of space to build new houses/offices where Schiphol is now. It would be best to build this hipster island and the new Schiphol really close together so we can ignore all of the ranting tweets about noise, pollution and other minor first world problem quirks.

Need Lebensraum!

Comment

• Originally posted by Mike1976 View Post

Same goes for a replacement for Schiphol. Just build it in the North Sea and put in an underground rail link/road tunnel. Sure it requires a large investment, but it frees up many of the problems that Schiphol has now (and many people have with it) for decades to come. Also plenty of space to build new houses/offices where Schiphol is now. It would be best to build this hipster island and the new Schiphol really close together so we can ignore all of the ranting tweets about noise, pollution and other minor first world problem quirks.

Need Lebensraum!
                    We could colonize Brandenburg, the land around Berlin is almost devoid of people...

Comment

• How do you breath underwater?

Comment

• This is why we are so tall...natural selection due to flooding

Comment

• edit: nvm

Last edited by OrangeWolf; 27-11-2017, 01:40 AM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Fred333 View Post

We could colonize Brandenburg, the land around Berlin is almost devoid of people...

https://www.berliner-zeitung.de/berl...burg--23862972

You must excuse but for most Krauts Holland = Netherlands you can explain it the umptieth time...won't change.

My wifes cousins husband is Dutch, he now lives in a small rural town in Bavaria with her. Luckily he is from Holland haha...so he can actually say he is driving to Holland...

Comment

You must excuse but for most Krauts Holland = Netherlands you can explain it the umptieth time...won't change.

My wifes cousins husband is Dutch, he now lives in a small rural town in Bavaria with her. Luckily he is from Holland haha...so he can actually say he is driving to Holland...
                              Meh, those living east of the border are all Nord Baiuwaren anyway....

Comment

What is it with our neighbours and the name of this country? Brits do it, Belgians do it (hell, it's a stereotype over there), Germans do it. We even do it now, because you won't stop doing it ;D

Comment

Working...
                                X