What's the last movie you watched

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by commanding View Post

haven't see it, but Octavia Spencer is a really good actor/actress.
    I honestly haven't seen much of her, the main reason being that her german dubbed voice is the voice of german Bart Simpson which makes it kinda weird.
    It's a very entertaining movie and it does a nice job of balancing the act of racial injustice in the USA without really pointing the finger at the white man.

Comment

• Saw Dunkirk last night.

Not as bad as feared - the CGI aerial scenes were great, as was the score. The WWII naval ships (?!) were not.

Most annoying thing (apart from the Lloyds Bank advert beforehand which made me genuinely angry) was the Argylls - a unit that recruited almost exclusively from the Glasgow slums - trapped in the beached fishing boat talking about England in English accents. Second most annoying, all the troops running around with empty web gear flapping about like a whore's draws and even wearing it on the train back in the UK - just proving it was empty.

6/10

Comment

• Reckon i'll wait for the VOD Version of Dunkirk, based on the reviews here and elsewhere.

Comment

• Rogue One
          9/10

I love that movie.

Comment

• Originally posted by Royal View Post
            Saw Dunkirk last night.

Not as bad as feared - the CGI aerial scenes were great, as was the score. The WWII naval ships (?!) were not.

Most annoying thing (apart from the Lloyds Bank advert beforehand which made me genuinely angry) was the Argylls - a unit that recruited almost exclusively from the Glasgow slums - trapped in the beached fishing boat talking about England in English accents. Second most annoying, all the troops running around with empty web gear flapping about like a whore's draws and even wearing it on the train back in the UK - just proving it was empty.

6/10
            Why do you hate the British and freedom?

Comment

• I've hated them ever since they stopped hiring us to oppress the natives for them

Freedom isn't free...

Comment

• You do have a point, equality and independence really did ruin the fun in Imperialism.

Comment

• It Might Get Loud - Documentary 7/10: Jimmy Page, Jack White, and The Edge, talking about music and guitars.

Comment

• Dunkirk ... just back from watching it. First of all, thank God it was not fucking 3D.

I actually enjoyed it, its a well done War movie. Good effects, and captures the feeling of beeing trapped at that beach. If you can overlook Tom Hardy shooting down more German planes than the best British pilot throughout the entire war, give it a go. Maybe they could have shown more of the actual defense of the city, or included at least a bit of the perspective of the "enemy", but I can see what Nolan was aiming for.

8/10.

Comment

• Dunkirk. Good movie, but kinda hard to keep up with the constant jumping back in forth in time to keep the three perspectives. It's an "artistic" movie rather than a straight rendering of heroic events, but IMHO, it does a good job of capturing the feelings & frustrations of soldiers in combat. A helluva lot of tense waiting, punctured by brief, intense moments of terror.

Comment

• Dunkirk - 7/10: I enjoyed it well enough but it didn't give me a feeling for the scope of the actual evacuation / battle. At tops, you've got half-a-dozen boats and a crowd of a couple hundred soldiers, and an air war between 3 Spitfires, 2 ME109s and a Heinkel HE-111. The time-jumping had a Pulp Fiction feel to it, and you see the same action,albeit from a different perspective, multiple times.

​​I didn't mind the story-telling, I loved the air action, and Rylance's rescue mission. But if you think back to movies like Lawrence of Arabia, or Patton, or BHD, this movie just didn't feel EPIC!!

​I get Nolan wanted practical effects and no CGI, but for me, I could have used a CGI Armada of small boats, a few more destroyers, and 400,000 beach-trapped soldiers, even if they borrowed an Orc army from LOTR.

Comment

• I watched A Cure for Wellness,,, the best thing that I can say about that movie is that the Swiss countryside is very pretty,,, ( assuming it was shot in Switzerland )

Comment

• Originally posted by Engineer View Post
                            I watched A Cure for Wellness,,, the best thing that I can say about that movie is that the Swiss countryside is very pretty,,, ( assuming it was shot in Switzerland )
                            Most of the movie, if not all, was shot in good ole Germoney!

Comment

• Reviews for The Dark Tower are starting to hit, and it's.... not good. While it's not awful, most reviews seem to agree that it doesn't do justice to the source material. I was afraid this would happen, considering it attempts to condense 8 books into a 90-minute movie, but I held hope. The recent rumours about reshoots and bad screening receptions had already put a dent in that hope, and these reviews are another nail in the coffin. I kinda still want to go see it, but I'm not sure. Let's hope the proposed series will fare better.
                              Last edited by RSone; 03-08-2017, 02:33 PM.

Comment

• watching as we speak: A Time to Kill, 1996.....took Mrs C to see this at the big theatre when it first came out in 1996, very good flick, quite moving. One of the few with Samuel L Jackson that I think he did a great job in.

Comment

Working...
                                X