The best way to fry eggs and other impossible cooking challenges

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The best way to fry eggs and other impossible cooking challenges

I've been studying how to properly fry eggs for the last 30 years- I have practiced thousands of times and I barely do it well. Restaurants constantly flub this task. My own dear Mother, who was a country cook, gave it up entirely, choosing to always present eggs as a "country scramble" where she would dump the eggs (less shell- mostly - of course) and scramble them in the pan. thus equally cooking the yolks and whites. "Here ya go, sweetie- and here's some ketchup to warsh it down with."
    But, to get properly cooked, un-burnt, un-laced, undamaged, fried eggs, without raw yolks, raw whites, tender, but done whites, with creamy, tasty, appetizing yolks- Ah- now, that is an art that seems to elude most people, not to mention, most cooks.

So- how do you cook your eggs? What are your secrets? Is it any small mystery why professional French Chef's hats have 100 pleats- one for each way the chef knew how to prepare an egg! While American Chef's hats have only 30?

And while you are at it, what about cooking rice- and it comes out properly cooked, not "Bitey", crunch, or gummy and perfect every time? This one eludes most folks, too. I met a Thai (You know, from Thailand?) at the grocer, selecting his rice carefully. Who does that? If it says, "Long Grain Rice" on the package, grab it and run- Right? So, I begged his pardon and asked: "Why the long search- it's just rice?" He looked at me as though I had asked him about his toenails or ear hair- How dare I get that personal and be that stupid? He then gave me a twenty-minute advanced university course on exactly why it is not "Just Rice!" and the delicacies of each type and blend and brand and the aromas and the places in the world the best rice comes from- and most importantly, how to properly cook it!" I felt like I had climbed the second greatest mountain in the world and had found the one, wise guru who could explain the meaning of life to me. Bruce Lee himself was looking down from the ether and smiling! So, now I got that going for me.

So, I was wondering, fellow travelers; What are your own cooking challenges and what words of wisdom may you impart to us neophytes on the solutions to them? Recipes are welcome, techniques are welcome, anecdotes are welcome. Who knows? We all may learn something here.

P.S. Note to French contributors- no one is interested in the best way to prepare escargot- thanks for your understanding.

My trick for perfect scrambled or over-easy eggs is a hot lightly oiled iron skillet, such as Lodge. None of this non-stick pan or Pam nonsense, as a properly seasoned iron skillet is naturally non-stick.

Scrambled eggs need to beat up until the moment of the pour.

Comment

Yup, use some oil.

Comment

Fried eggs - frying pan, plenty of butter, break in eggs. Baste with melted butter till done.
        Rice - I use basmati. Double volume of water to rice. So 200g rice, 400ml water. Boil water, dump rice in. Turn stove to lowest level and simmer till water is gone.

Comment

Question is do you fry or bake your bakon ? https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2RonGSuju9U

Comment

Low heat, slow and carefully in the pan. A proper old school iron pan that's slowly developed its own non stick surface.
            Same with bacon to get it dry and crispy.

Comment

I am particular about steamed eggs. They start out like fried eggs, in a skillet with butter and moderate heat. Wait about 20 seconds for the whites to go solid first, then add about two tablespoons of water and cover - I use a lid one size smaller than the skillet I am using to get the lid as close as possible without touching the eggs, then just wait. The steam prevents edges from going crisp and perfectly cooks the yolk. About 3 minutes is all that is needed for me. They slide right out onto the plate. Perfect every time. Sort of a cross between frying and poaching. Deee-licious!

True Frying- I'm still working on. But, you guys have given me some excellent information on accomplishing the perfect fried eggs. For which, I am very pleased.

Comment

Originally posted by Mastermind View Post
                I am particular about steamed eggs. They start out like fried eggs, in a skillet with butter and moderate heat. Wait about 20 seconds for the whites to go solid first, then add about two tablespoons of water and cover - I use a lid one size smaller than the skillet I am using to get the lid as close as possible without touching the eggs, then just wait. The steam prevents edges from going crisp and perfectly cooks the yolk. About 3 minutes is all that is needed for me. They slide right out onto the plate. Perfect every time. Sort of a cross between frying and poaching. Deee-licious!

True Frying- I'm still working on. But, you guys have given me some excellent information on accomplishing the perfect fried eggs. For which, I am very pleased.
                For fried eggs sunnyside style what primer said
                Oil
                Begin on cold pan
                Slow cooking
                It works. I was like you, always fucking up them until i applied that method

Comment

I use olive oil, and I only break the egg in, when the oil is enough hot. I use the spatula to spread the hot olive oil to the egg yolk, when I see the yolk enough done, I retire the egg.

If the oil is enough hot, in three minutes you is ready.

I donĀ“t see any mistery in frying an egg, the only problem is that you can break the egg yolk when breaking the eggshell.

Comment

Fiance makes them. That's how.

I just do the scramble.

Comment

RICE! Okay, for years, I did the "package instructions on rice- long grain - probably grown and processed in Texas. Yes- "2 cups water, one cup rice, bring to boil, cover, simmer until water is gone, about 20 minutes". But, invariably, this would work sometimes and not others- leaving undercooked rice. And it was always sticky, globby rice, especially after refrigerating the left-overs.

The Thai 'Guru' advised this other method, which he said everyone in his family in Thailand uses-

No measuring! Lots of water! For about three or four handfuls rice- Bring five or six glasses of water to a boil ( I just fill a two quart pot)! While water is heating, rinse rice five times. In the rinse water, squeeze the rice and rub it between your hands- you must remove the starch on the outside! When the water runs clear, then strain the rice and - dump it into the boiling water, the raw rice will sink to bottom of pot like a stone. Stir it, stir it, - no timer! You the cook! You cook! As the rice starts to swell, it will get lighter in the water, until it is lifted by the boiling. You gently stir now, and soon, the rice grains are fat and tender- But, careful! You can over-cook it. Taste the rice, chew the rice- let you feel it between your teeth- When it seems good, then go one more little time- like ten slow stirs- taste, chew, rice should feel like silk- but you still feel each grain! Not very soft or mushy. Now, strain the rice- and rinse twice with very hot water. Now strain and leave in open pot for ten minutes. Serve it- It will not have sticky starch, it will taste true and clean, and be fluffy. This takes you more time, but, you get very good rice. If you are making rice balls, with peas and chicken, pork or fish- then you want sticky rice- so, only rinse a few times and never after cooking, you can squeeze the rice into balls with filling and it will stick together.

Now, I make good rice, very delicious and perfectly cooked. I'm the cook! Not the maker of the rice package! At last! Everyone in my American family now cooks their rice this way.

Is there a better way? Was I just doing the old, 'Western method" wrong?

Comment

Originally posted by Mastermind View Post

So- how do you cook your eggs?

Scrambled- I never liked fried, over easy of sunnyside up. I do also like a Omelette (Ham Cheese or Bacon only).

But typically dont have time, so get a NYC, Long Island staple- the BEC on a roll

Comment

Originally posted by Linedoggie View Post
                          Scrambled- I never liked fried, over easy of sunnyside up. I do also like a Omelette (Ham Cheese or Bacon only).

But typically dont have time, so get a NYC, Long Island staple- the BEC on a roll
                          Breakfast sandwiches are fantastic. McDonald's really knew what they were doing with their Egg McMuffin. When I worked in a Drafting Company, every single morning, the company would buy us all an Egg McMuffin. they had a cab driver bring two dozen to the office exactly at @ 7:05- It saved them lots of money because most of the people working there were paid more than $80.00 an hour and they would sneak out for a breakfast snack and waste a good half hour or more before ever getting started. For a time,l when new management came in, it stopped but then they had a really good restaurant cater with eggs to order, bacon, hash browns, hot biscuits, toast. It was nuts for a few months until people lost interest and quit eating such a large breakfast. We really preferred the easier to ead and less filling - just right Egg McMuffin. So, I's with you on that type breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by Linedoggie View Post

Damn, now I want an omelette with goat-cheese and green bell-pepper.

Comment

I fry 2 slices of Wright's bacon in my cast iron skillet, low heat, then fry 2 eggs in the bacon grease in my cast iron skillet (medium heat) ! I use a spatula to coat the cooking eggs (both yolk and white) with the bacon grease and cook it that way. I used to flip my eggs over, but my son came to see me, and cooked breakfast (yummy!) . He left the fried egg yolks runny, so lately I've been eating them like that! I. love. bacon. and eggs. !!

Comment

Working...
                              X